Ship large DVD collection, or RIP DVDs to HD and sell DVDs before emigrating

RMT1980

Ok, so I get that this is a bit of a weird question, but I'm interested to hear general opinions;

We have quite a large DVD and BluRay collection that has built up over the years. I'm not keen on shipping them all to Aus when we emigrate due to the large amount of solid space they'll all use up in the container. I was considering whether they could all be ripped to an External HD and then we could watch them via a HDMI Media Player thereafter. I have tested the theory with a few sample DVDs and it works a treat. Then I can ditch all the DVDs (either sell on or give to family) and not have a lot of valuable cubic feet taken up by hundreds of DVDs in our container.

Here's the dilemma... I'm not sure what Aus DIBP/Customs will think if they see a couple of External HDs in our shipment with a load of Movie files on it. Will they question where the movies came from and whether they were pirate copies etc...

Am I over thinking this? Do they even check contents of HDs or Computers does anybody know?

Not sure if anyone else that has previously emigrated as any experience of what they did with ripped DVDs and/or what Customs did with HD in shipments etc...

Welcome any thoughts on this.

It's the cases that take up the majority of the space.

How about getting a CD wallet, and putting the discs in there?

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-black-wallet-for-208-cds-dvds/208-8573.prd

The paper inserts can come out of the case and stashed in e.g. a box file.

I personally wouldn't rip them all - just because of the time involved in doing it.

My OH insisted we bring his 3000 cds. He started to put them onto harddrive but it was an incredibly tedious exercise, anyway he wanted them available to browse! If you are having a container might as well bring them. In our hand luggage we also brought 2x external harddrive in case there were issues with computer. No issues with customs.

rip em all, put them on a HDD and bring the HDD in your hand luggage, on most flights you are allowed hand luggage AND a laptop bag each.

it'd almost be rude not to :)

just make sure when you rip them that you keep the surround soundtrack. most players will down sample surround to stereo if you only play on the TV.

if however you play stereo in a reasonable surround system it will leave you disappointed.

for players try Kodi (XBMC) http://kodi.tv/ (open source and free), plex https://plex.tv/ad/getstarted (free but some functions cost) may also be worth a look.

once you have all your media in one convenient place with trailers on tap and a jukebox style interface, having boxes all over the show seems so archaic!

hard drives are super cheap, the player wont cost you more than a couple of hundred bucks (for a good one fast chip, dedicated graphics and lots of ram)

no brainer IMHO.

rip em all, put them on a HDD and bring the HDD in your hand luggage, on most flights you are allowed hand luggage AND a laptop bag each.

it'd almost be rude not to :)

just make sure when you rip them that you keep the surround soundtrack. most players will down sample surround to stereo if you only play on the TV.

if however you play stereo in a reasonable surround system it will leave you disappointed.

for players try Kodi (XBMC) http://kodi.tv/ (open source and free), plex https://plex.tv/ad/getstarted (free but some functions cost) may also be worth a look.

once you have all your media in one convenient place with trailers on tap and a jukebox style interface, having boxes all over the show seems so archaic!

hard drives are super cheap, the player wont cost you more than a couple of hundred bucks (for a good one fast chip, dedicated graphics and lots of ram)

no brainer IMHO.

Thanks for your opinion, this is the exact sort of thing I was thinking of.... With that mind what do you reckon Customs would do (if anything) about External HDDs with loads of movie files on them???

Thanks for your opinion, this is the exact sort of thing I was thinking of.... With that mind what do you reckon Customs would do (if anything) about External HDDs with loads of movie files on them???

You just have to bring them and see. I'd not ship those in a container.

Personally I'd ship the DVD's and not bother with the time and expense of ripping them and buying the external HD's. Too many other things to think about.

Guest guest112248

Put them on a hard drive and then sell them. I have taken mines to the UK and back again, all in my hand luggage (4 hard drives totalling around 5gb, plus 3 Ipads and a laptop). Not once have customs looked, or questioned, or seemed to care what they contain. We live in a digital world, and it is extremely common for travellers to carry hard drives, and electronic devices.

I don't have a DVD player, or a CD player for that matter. So much easier doing it all digitally. Hard Drives, media player and your hotel viewing is sorted (even if just for the kids as foreign TV can be a bit.....).

Put them on a hard drive and then sell them. I have taken mines to the UK and back again, all in my hand luggage (4 hard drives totalling around 5gb, plus 3 Ipads and a laptop). Not once have customs looked, or questioned, or seemed to care what they contain. We live in a digital world, and it is extremely common for travellers to carry hard drives, and electronic devices.

I don't have a DVD player, or a CD player for that matter. So much easier doing it all digitally. Hard Drives, media player and your hotel viewing is sorted (even if just for the kids as foreign TV can be a bit.....).

Again, this is video piracy and is illegal.

Archived