Ladies,get ready for summer! :)

Jacaranda

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every time I've bought Maxi dresses I've ended up taking them up. I'm five foot seven but feel short and dumpy in them :laugh: I like them on other people though :cry: Also dark colours attract mozzies so I'd go for lighter colours personally. Shorts and tshirts & short dresses are my sort of thing.

i think I'll have to get half of mine cut off :laugh: I'm 5ft3. I definitely think I'll have to send it back. I hope you don't mind me asking this but before you lost your weight did you still wear the same sorts of things during summer? I don't like wearing dresses that aren't long or if I can't wear it with tights :(

i think I'll have to get half of mine cut off :laugh: I'm 5ft3. I definitely think I'll have to send it back. I hope you don't mind me asking this but before you lost your weight did you still wear the same sorts of things during summer? I don't like wearing dresses that aren't long or if I can't wear it with tights :(

Stacey I did still wear shortish dresses, just above the knee , it's a bit like being on holidays all the time, if you know what I mean here. You'll wear things that you might be nervous about wearing in the UK because everyone is wearing shorts and thongs or short dresses. Especially youngsters like you. There are all shapes and sizes and people are far less judgemental when they've just come off the beach or been in the pool. It's a far more relaxed feeling. Lots don't even bother dressing up for a night out. Think holiday mode.

Nobody wears tights in Australia, people will fall about laughing. Sorry! Buy yourself some Sally Hansen leg make-up, it really does make your legs look better (buy the Fair one if your legs are pale, I though they might look better if I got the Medium but it just looked stupid).

No I know they don't, that's why I said I'm not wearing any. Do they not even wear them in winter in places like Melbourne where it gets cold? Thanks, I'll check it out. I've tried fake tan before and it's just a disaster but I'll check that out. I don't think my legs will even tan out there, they'll just go a different shade of pale :laugh:

No I know they don't, that's why I said I'm not wearing any. Do they not even wear them in winter in places like Melbourne where it gets cold? Thanks, I'll check it out. I've tried fake tan before and it's just a disaster but I'll check that out. I don't think my legs will even tan out there, they'll just go a different shade of pale :laugh:

I'm pale too and fake tan has never worked for me either. Sally Hansen isn't a fake tan, it's a leg make-up. It washes off with soap and water, though it will survive a quick shower if you don't rub it. I've tried other leg make-ups too and they were all pretty useless except the Sally Hansen.

I bought it when I was going on a cruise - I'm like you, hate showing my legs and used to go to work in trousers all the time! I didn't expect much from it as I have varicose veins and always seem to have bruises (being a klutz), but I was very impressed with the result. It just adds enough colour to take the ghostliness off!

They may wear them in Melbourne, they do tend to dress more English-style there!

Stacey there are a lot of pale people here contrary to popular belief . My girls live in Brissie and neither are brown. Both have proper English rose completions .I've seen girls in tight ridiculously short shorts as pale as a new born baby. Seriously no one bats an eye lid.

Hi,just spoke to my twin in Adelaide,and she told me about this website you might be interested in.She's just ordered some summer dresses and they are cheap!Free postage to Australia.(Its a US site)

http://www.zaful.com/maxi-dresses-e_41/

Has she ordered or actually got them and is satisfied? This looks like one of those China clothing websites to me and a quick Google suggests only 5% of customers are happy.

The only good reviews appear to be written by people who's first language is not English which make me suspicious these are paid for reviews.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/zaful.com

I was looking at a similar site myself last week http://www.sammydress.com, there are 100s of similar ones.

I do hope your sister at least gets her money's worth if not exactly what she expected!

I wore hold-ups most of the time, the shops all stock tights/stockings so i don't think I was alone in wearing them (or being laughed as but hey if I was who cares?)

I think it depends what you do but I would have felt very unprofessional with bare legs.

I wear woolly tights and boots during winter in Perth, it gets bloody cold here lol

I wore hold-ups most of the time, the shops all stock tights/stockings so i don't think I was alone in wearing them (or being laughed as but hey if I was who cares?)

I think it depends what you do but I would have felt very unprofessional with bare legs.

Our daughter has to wear tights as part of her uniform, so no, you weren't alone ;)

The thought of no tights fills me with horror, that means I will have to actually shave my legs regularly :laugh: I wear black tights everyday to work here and was hoping to get away with skin coloured tights there :frown: like LR said it just feels more professional. Plus (going into way to much detail) I find that a thin pair of tights helps me avoid chub rub (aka chafing) which I always get in warm conditions, damn my fat thighs :laugh:

Has she ordered or actually got them and is satisfied? This looks like one of those China clothing websites to me and a quick Google suggests only 5% of customers are happy.

The only good reviews appear to be written by people who's first language is not English which make me suspicious these are paid for reviews.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/zaful.com

I was looking at a similar site myself last week www.sammydress.com, there are 100s of similar ones.

I do hope your sister at least gets her money's worth if not exactly what she expected!

Yep she has used the site before with no hassles.:cute:

The thought of no tights fills me with horror, that means I will have to actually shave my legs regularly :laugh: I wear black tights everyday to work here and was hoping to get away with skin coloured tights there :frown: like LR said it just feels more professional. Plus (going into way to much detail) I find that a thin pair of tights helps me avoid chub rub (aka chafing) which I always get in warm conditions, damn my fat thighs :laugh:

i sometimes find that tights make my chub rub worse! Either way I'm going to get it lol

This is what I was actually looking for!

http://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/embarrassing-conditions/excessive-sweating/neat-3b-action-cream-75g

There was also a powder we used to get and it is safer to use under arms than normal antiperspirants - i can picture it but can't find it online. All the pharmacies have it though.

It's like talc, in a white tub with mostly green writing - anyone know what the hell I'm talking about??!! :)

15 isn't enough for me, I need at least double that. I was looking at factor 50 today :laugh:

Don't waste your money. Factor 30 is enough. My friend used to work for a professor of dermatology who did research into all these things, and he said Factor 50 was a rip-off - you put a heck of a lot more chemicals on your face and you get hardly any more protection.

Wear factor 30, and the most important thing is - PUT IT ON HALF AN HOUR BEFORE YOU GO OUT IN THE SUN. All sunscreens take about half an hour to start working. So if you slap on the sunscreen and go straight outdoors, you'll be burnt to a crisp before it's even started working.

Don't waste your money. Factor 30 is enough. My friend used to work for a professor of dermatology who did research into all these things, and he said Factor 50 was a rip-off - you put a heck of a lot more chemicals on your face and you get hardly any more protection.

Wear factor 30, and the most important thing is - PUT IT ON HALF AN HOUR BEFORE YOU GO OUT IN THE SUN. All sunscreens take about half an hour to start working. So if you slap on the sunscreen and go straight outdoors, you'll be burnt to a crisp before it's even started working.

I remember getting sent something similar a few years ago. The general concensus was the improper application of sunscreen being the biggest concern.

During school outings in Asia, Japanese parents would apply sunscreen to their kids, then they'd make sure they put on long sleeve tops and pants to ensure maximum protection. Whereas the majority of the UK parents were a quick rub on the arms and face with sunscreen and away you go...

The FDA is still debating the merits of super-high SPFs, but many derms agree that there are meaningful differences between 15, 30, and 50, especially because we’re just so bad at applying sunscreen properly. “If you use SPF 50, you really get the protection of an SPF 20 based on how people actually apply it,” says New York City dermatologist Doris Day, MD. That includes both applying too little in the first place and not reapplying often enough (every two hours or so when you’re at the beach or pool all day). The doctors we talked to generally recommended a minimum of SPF 30 for everyday sunscreen and SPF 50 for long stints outside

I think I'm late (as always) to the tights discussion but wanted to chip in as well...

I arrived in Sydney in May and it's only now that I'm thinking about alternatives to tights, for work. Plenty of people have started turning up with bare legs in the past 2-3 weeks, but I have never done that in the workplace but have no idea what to do as an alternative. I'm pale and that's not a problem, but I just don't see an office based workplace as the venue for bare legs, but if I keep wearing tights I will boil and if I don't, I will go against my own "rules" and will also get nappy rash inside each thigh in about 10 minutes of walking...

I was thinking I could wear those shorts under skirts/dresses(usually designed to suck in fat stomach or thighs - think they are Spanx brand in the US) but figure that will still be pretty toasty!

Such first world dramas............. :daydreaming:

My maxi dress arrived yesterday, it's obviously massive on me so I'd need to adjust it. But I think it's too low cut too, it goes down like a V except it's covered by lace material. Hard to explain. I thought it was too low but my gran said it wasn't lol she seems to be getting cooler in her old age. So I'm going to try it on today while my mums here and she can give her opinion. Then if I still don't feel comfortable with it I'll send it back and get a plain one

Archived