Increase in Minimum Salary Level for 457 Visa Holders

Alan Collett

The Australian Government has announced an increase of 3.8% to the required minimum salary to be paid to subclass 457 visa holders.

The change increases the current standard Minimum Salary Level (MSL) from $41,850 to $43,440 per annum. For ICT professionals, the MSL will rise to $59,480 from $57,300.

In regional areas of Australia, the MSL will rise to $39,100 (from $37,665), and $53,530 (from $51,570) for ICT professionals.

This increase will apply from 1st August, 2008 to new temporary skilled migrants coming to work in Australia as well as those already in the workforce who are subject to a required minimum salary.

More details: Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alan

Thanks very much for posting this news. It will be very welcome to a lot of the people either on or considering 457 visas.

On a different 457 point, Veronika (SOMV) started a thread the other day explaining that 457s are going to be processed in a couple of days but the "yes" or "no" will depend on whether the application is picture-perfect up-front. Apparently they will not query anything or request any further information.

I can see why they might want to take this line but surely it will lead to arguments that DIAC have made jurisdictional errors if they are too rigid about the proposed new arrangements? After all, they are the ones who say - all over their published documents - that there is no compulsion to use a Migration Agent.

So - Mr Applicant and his prospective employer-sponsor decide to have a go by themselves. Being inexperienced, they don't get every detail completely right. A request for clarification or more documentation might well sort it out very easily. Surely there will be ructions if DIAC are too fierce about this?

SOMV's thread is here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/35749-proposed-changes-457-visa-processing.html

Best wishes

Gill

Hello again Gill.

I actually have difficulty reconciling the increase in minimum salary levels with a professed desire on the part of the Federal Government to "keep downward pressure on inflation and interest rates." I have heard this phrase trotted out by the Government every day over the Budget period.

As to employer/employee applicants for 457 visas not getting it quite right with a consequence for the processing time - as you might expect I don't have too much sympathy. If applicants want to improve the prospects for the timely turnaround of their visa application they should engage a competent agent to facilitate the outcome they are seeking. Migration involves a legal process and the required processes have to be followed.

Best wishes.

Hello again Gill.

I actually have difficulty reconciling the increase in minimum salary levels with a professed desire on the part of the Federal Government to "keep downward pressure on inflation and interest rates." I have heard this phrase trotted out by the Government every day over the Budget period.

As to employer/employee applicants for 457 visas not getting it quite right with a consequence for the processing time - as you might expect I don't have too much sympathy. If applicants want to improve the prospects for the timely turnaround of their visa application they should engage a competent agent to facilitate the outcome they are seeking. Migration involves a legal process and the required processes have to be followed.

Best wishes.

The minimum wage will be to deter employers from employing migrants obviously not for the migrants. The wages for non pro , trade jobs is poor if you are with someone on a 457 IF yoiu can get employment as you are desc riminated by agencies ( don`t get me going about agencies)

Malx

Archived