What would you change about the UK ?

Parley

No - I think the Tassie weather is much better unless you live right over on the west coast. Least it was when we lived there and I know things change but surely not that much!

I'm on the north coast and the weather here is cold winters warm summers. We also get plenty of rain but not in the summertime. Inland gets it a lot colder than we do. I was in Queenstown (west coast) last summer and it was FAR hotter there than in Devonport which I was quite surprised about. On that day it was 32C in Queenstown and 25C here.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
. I was in Queenstown (west coast) last summer and it was FAR hotter there than in Devonport which I was quite surprised about. On that day it was 32C in Queenstown and 25C here.

Queenstown has more extremes than Devonport because, not only is it further from the coast, it's in that narrow valley surrounded by mountains.

The main negative about the west coast climate for humans is the amount of rain. Good for rain forests and hydro electric generation though! :wubclub:

We lived at Wynyard just next to Fossil Bluff- glorious beaches etc. Husband was working on the West Coast and every time we went down there it was rain, rain, rain- lovely, in fact stunning place, though.

As Skani said, got to keep those hydro electric power stations going - more rain the better to keep 'em running.

The whole washing machine thing makes me laugh.

The only time I go to a house in the UK where the washing machine isn't in the kitchen is because they moved it to make room for the dishwasher...or if they have an adjoining garage in which to house it.

I always think the idea of it being in the bathroom is weird.

Where do the yanks and the French and the Spanish put them?

Mines in the kitchen - and I do have a seperate shower in the en-suite.

What I do think in the uk on older houses is the bathroom that is off of the kitchen. Very strange idea and one I'm glad they ditched.

The whole washing machine thing makes me laugh.

The only time I go to a house in the UK where the washing machine isn't in the kitchen is because they moved it to make room for the dishwasher...or if they have an adjoining garage in which to house it.

I always think the idea of it being in the bathroom is weird.

Where do the yanks and the French and the Spanish put them?

Mines in the kitchen - and I do have a seperate shower in the en-suite.

What I do think in the uk on older houses is the bathroom that is off of the kitchen. Very strange idea and one I'm glad they ditched.

We don't have our washing machine in the kitchen. It's in the laundry room with the boiler, water filter, dryer and clothes rack, plus a load of cupboards. The only times we've had them in the bathroom were in our rental flat in Sydney and in our Victorian house in Melbourne (and in our holiday apartment in Croatia this year).

My mil lives in Spain and hers was in the kitchen, but the places we stay in when we go to visit usually have them outside, undercover, with the dryer on top.

My cousins live in America. One has his in a laundry room, the other two in the kitchen. My SIL lives in HK and hers is in the bathroom (but she lives on a junk, so space is at a premium). I think it's more to do with the age and size of the house or flat, rather than the country.

Archived