7 weeks back....

thinker78

I found the Aussies fab when the chips were down so to speak. During the April storms in NSW folk did rally round just like they do back home. Also my children have been more than welcomed into their home.

But they still have a chip on their shoulder and don't like the confidence which comes from us grown up immigrants.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found the Aussies fab when the chips were down so to speak. During the April storms in NSW folk did rally round just like they do back home. Also my children have been more than welcomed into their home.

But they still have a chip on their shoulder and don't like the confidence which comes from us grown up immigrants.

Yes, I agree with both statements.

• 4 weeks later...
a quick update. I've been back 7 weeks and am very happy. I did 10 years in Australia, in that time, I pinged twice kind of, and it has taken this long to finally feel like i'm home and am happy, and i've not given oz a second thought. I think, out of it all i have learned so many valuable lessons. Namely, i actually need to feel like i belong, culturally, spiritually- whatever- connected to the land, to 'my own people' who i get, where it is no hassle to participate in conversation etc. When you have been out your own country for a long time, the very things you leave it for, can turn out to be what you crave and wish to return to. The smallest things delight me now- a walk in the woods, a cup of tea with my dad, interesting and stimulating conversations, soooo much to do on one's doorstep- i cannot do it all and my UK bucket list is just so enormous....., when I lived in oz i always had this nagging feeling, wherever i was, whatever i was doing of 'i'm in Australia'. It NEVER left me, not once. I came to realise that being constantly conscious of one's location was draining, and would never change. Here, i do not live with that any more. Rather, i just LIVE. Sure, it's not a bed of roses, where is? We live in crazy times. I am just so relieved that i feel at peace. Isn't that what we all want? Even the weather has not got me down. It hasn't stopped anything at all- nor will it. It has been very emotional reconnecting with old friends too- i am lucky that i have been welcomed back despite the long absence and i will never let them go again. I absolutely gave it my all in Australia but the feelings i have here, are real. I have closure. It is awesome x

You've hit the nail on the head and I can totally relate to those feelings. I'm really longing to go back home, and we're currently working towards that. I totally understand the "I'm in Australia feeling." I had no idea it would be so different here.

Reading your post echoed my feelings and thoughts exactly- I miss everything, and I love the rain, and yes, we get heatwaves too for all those that think England is always grey. :)

Just being on this forum- having so many people relate is amazing.

So happy for you, treasure every moment. Home is where the heart is.

You've hit the nail on the head and I can totally relate to those feelings. I'm really longing to go back home, and we're currently working towards that. I totally understand the "I'm in Australia feeling." I had no idea it would be so different here.

Reading your post echoed my feelings and thoughts exactly- I miss everything, and I love the rain, and yes, we get heatwaves too for all those that think England is always grey. :)

Ah yes it's always grey and miserable here didn't you know :) Sometime back someone also stated that for 9 months of the year everyone had to stay indoors because of the weather lol.

I love Australia but my heart isn't there and my wife's never has been.

I totally understand the "I'm in Australia feeling." I had no idea it would be so different here.

I think this is the biggest problem with migration to Australia. Because it's English speaking, people don't realise how different it is. We see so many people posting that they're moving to Oz for better weather, a better life for the kids, or a better future - but I get the feeling they expect everything else about Australia will be pretty much the same as the UK, and it isn't.

Leaving aside the language difficulties, I think moving to Australia is just as different as moving to Germany or Italy, and many of the people who cheerfully embark on Australian migration would hesitate to move to a "foreign country".

Ah yes it's always grey and miserable here didn't you know :) Sometime back someone also stated that for 9 months of the year everyone had to stay indoors because of the weather lol.

I love Australia but my heart isn't there and my wife's never has been.

9 months of the year?! People need to get out more and see the World! Or see the UK in this case. :)

I've had to correct the "dark and gloomy" misconception on numerous occasions!

Yes, loving a place is different- I love Thailand, but my heart isn't there either. Would I leave Australia for Thailand? Without a doubt, but ultimately my goal is to go home.

To hear people calling crisps "crisps" and to be asked if I want some tea rather than coffee!

I think this is the biggest problem with migration to Australia. Because it's English speaking, people don't realise how different it is. We see so many people posting that they're moving to Oz for better weather, a better life for the kids, or a better future - but I get the feeling they expect everything else about Australia will be pretty much the same as the UK, and it isn't.

Leaving aside the language difficulties, I think moving to Australia is just as different as moving to Germany or Italy, and many of the people who cheerfully embark on Australian migration would hesitate to move to a "foreign country".

After working in Belgium, France and Switzerland and struggling with schoolgirl French and German just to understand conversation around me and be able to communicate in everyday life was such an effort for me. Eventually it became much easier. After that, Australia was a breeze. Sure it's very different to the UK but I've always felt at home here.

That's very true, I couldn't have put it better myself.

I thought with the common Queen and the Commonwealth etc, we'd have more in common, but this certainly wasn't the case!

9 months of the year?! People need to get out more and see the World! Or see the UK in this case. :)

I've had to correct the "dark and gloomy" misconception on numerous occasions!

Yes, loving a place is different- I love Thailand, but my heart isn't there either. Would I leave Australia for Thailand? Without a doubt, but ultimately my goal is to go home.

To hear people calling crisps "crisps" and to be asked if I want some tea rather than coffee!

I saw something on FB the other day which summed it up for me, in the UK we tend to think we are worse than we are and in Australia they tend to think they are better than they are.

That's very true, I couldn't have put it better myself.

I thought with the common Queen and the Commonwealth etc, we'd have more in common, but this certainly wasn't the case!

I have always said and will always say that Australia in so many ways aligns itself with the US.

I saw something on FB the other day which summed it up for me, in the UK we tend to think we are worse than we are and in Australia they tend to think they are better than they are.

That's a bit of sweeping statement but I'm sure all the going back home people will agree with you bristolman :wink:

Yes, I think the general mentality in the UK is that the "grass is greener" elsewhere. I remember when we first landed in Brisbane, and we were staying at a furnished apartment, one of the first people I came across that worked there happened to be from New Zealand. He said that he moved to AU with his wife thinking the grass was greener here, but ended up regretting it, but felt he couldn't go back because he'd left everything to come here and he was already the "black sheep " of the family. He went into a lot more detail , which had me immediately dreading our stay here!

For me, I couldn't live with that feeling, and I'd do whatever I could to return home.

There is no life without happiness, peace and contentment.

Yes, I think the general mentality in the UK is that the "grass is greener" elsewhere. I remember when we first landed in Brisbane, and we were staying at a furnished apartment, one of the first people I came across that worked there happened to be from New Zealand. He said that he moved to AU with his wife thinking the grass was greener here, but ended up regretting it, but felt he couldn't go back because he'd left everything to come here and he was already the "black sheep " of the family. He went into a lot more detail , which had me immediately dreading our stay here!

For me, I couldn't live with that feeling, and I'd do whatever I could to return home.

Bad luck meeting someone like that as soon as you arrived! Do agree with you though - there is no life without happiness, peace and contentment.

Best wishes for your return to the UK :smile:

The general negativity about their country is the thing I like least about the British, this blind belief that everywhere else is better can be quite tedious BUT I am noticing it much less since being back. Equally being told everything is the best in the world or world class is just as tedious.

Bad luck meeting someone like that as soon as you arrived! Do agree with you though - there is no life without happiness, peace and contentment.

Best wishes for your return to the UK :smile:

Yes, I was taken aback upon arrival!

Thank you! :smile:

The general negativity about their country is the thing I like least about the British, this blind belief that everywhere else is better can be quite tedious BUT I am noticing it much less since being back. Equally being told everything is the best in the world or world class is just as tedious.

My friends in Scotland are perfectly happy with their lives there and have never been interested in moving away - certainly not to Australia or even England :wink: The area where they live and where I was brought up is just lovely. In a perfect world, I would live maybe 4 months of the year there and the rest of the year here.

My friends in Scotland are perfectly happy with their lives there and have never been interested in moving away - certainly not to Australia or even England :wink: The area where they live and where I was brought up is just lovely. In a perfect world, I would live maybe 4 months of the year there and the rest of the year here.

That's why I would never say the majority. All our friends are perfectly happy where they are and have no desire to move to Australia or Scotland lol

Even a move within the same country can be stressful. At 18 I moved from small village Lancashire to London. Hardest move I ever made and I have lived overseas in 3 different countries including Australia.

Probably more different - I never thought about myself as 'European' before I lived in Australia but having spent a month travelling there last year I realised just how much more I have in common with other Europeans than I do Australians.

There's that old saying about America - two countries divided by a common language, I'd say the same is true of Australia - and yes it did surprise me when we first moved there.

i agree. I am four weeks away from leaving Australia after 19 years and the jitters are setting in. I am finding it harder than I thought to say goodbye to friends here. Now that I'm leaving suddenly people I don't hear from for ages want to catch up to say goodbye. The enormity of it all can be overwhelming at times. Having said that I'm re-assured by posts on here that I'm doing the right thing. I have never felt Australia was 'home' and I'm looking forward to things just feeling 'right' and 'normal' again instead of feeling slightly foreign. I'm not expressing it very well (its 4am - sleepless nights!) but there's a comfort in feeling you belong somewhere that I've failed to find in Australia.

i agree. I am four weeks away from leaving Australia after 19 years and the jitters are setting in. I am finding it harder than I thought to say goodbye to friends here. Now that I'm leaving suddenly people I don't hear from for ages want to catch up to say goodbye. The enormity of it all can be overwhelming at times. Having said that I'm re-assured by posts on here that I'm doing the right thing. I have never felt Australia was 'home' and I'm looking forward to things just feeling 'right' and 'normal' again instead of feeling slightly foreign. I'm not expressing it very well (its 4am - sleepless nights!) but there's a comfort in feeling you belong somewhere that I've failed to find in Australia.

Good luck Rosie. Take one day at a time and expect things to take a while to settle - 19 years is a long time and both you and the place you are returning to have changed. But the UK (assuming that is where you are returning to) is is not one city, one region, one lifestyle... for a small island there can be huge differences depending on where you choose to settle. I hope you find that little bit that is home for you. T x

Good luck Rosie. Take one day at a time and expect things to take a while to settle - 19 years is a long time and both you and the place you are returning to have changed. But the UK (assuming that is where you are returning to) is is not one city, one region, one lifestyle... for a small island there can be huge differences depending on where you choose to settle. I hope you find that little bit that is home for you. T x

Thank you T, I've been back and forth on visits a fair bit on visits over the years, but you're right I have changed and so has the UK. I think I am heading in your direction if you are in the land of song so I'm sure all will be well :)

So long as you've never felt Australia was "home," you're definitely doing the right thing. Just the thought of being on the plane and seeing the beautiful greenery beneath just as the plane is hovering above the UK makes me long for that sight and moment all the more. ( as apposed to the dry arid land we see hovering above Australia :wink: ) I wish you all the best Rosie. Enjoy your cuppas when you get back. :smile:

Archived