How do you feel now that Abbott is gone?

Harpodom

How do you feel?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel?

• Furious at Turnbull?
    • Slightly angry at Turnbull?
    • In a state of shock and grief?
    • Relieved?
    • Jubilant?
    • Psychotic with joy?
    • Don't care: same **** different bucket?
    • Sense of anti-climax?

You hate Australia though, whether politics, sport whatever.

Never once seen a nice post about Australia from you.

I'm puzzled why you live here when you detest the place so much.

Some people, like Gandhi and Mother Teresa and the Dalai Llama. just possess that rare quality of putting their sense of duty to save us all before their desires, wishes, family even.

Noble is the word I think?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your opinion. Who will replace Turnbull in your opinion?

Did or did not Morrison carry out the stop the boats policy?

I find it odd that you and Diane cast Abbott as Hitler but all his henchmen and women and free from guilt?

Maybe Abbott was Lenin, in which case who is Stalin?!

Does your course not include instruction or advice to read an article properly before critiquing it? (is that a word?)

From my post "if he gets rid of people like Morrison, Dutton, Cormann and Pyne."

Morrison's heart - if he has one - is as black as Abbott's for sure.

Mary? He friggin loves it!

Each evening, as the sun goes down, Harpo, Parley and I stand as one, taking video on our phones so we can share the moment, and after reciting The Ode, which is emotional enough, we recite "(I love a )sunburnt country!" Of course, Harpo really only likes the first stanza?

I actually find it rather moving hearing The Ode recited in an RSL club and I always think of my Dad. It does not matter how drunk and rowdy the club is, or if there is an important footie game on, young and old, they all get up.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

[TABLE]

[TR=bgcolor: #cc5f33]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: headerw, bgcolor: #cc5f33, align: center]My Country[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffbf67]blank.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #f5ac5c] [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 30, bgcolor: #e38a4a]blank.gif[/TD]

[TD=align: center] [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: t, align: center]The love of field and coppice,

Of green and shaded lanes.

Of ordered woods and gardens

Is running in your veins,

Strong love of grey-blue distance

Brown streams and soft dim skies

I know but cannot share it,

My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,

A land of sweeping plains,

Of ragged mountain ranges,

Of droughts and flooding rains.

I love her far horizons,

I love her jewel-sea,

Her beauty and her terror -

The wide brown land for me!

A stark white ring-barked forest

All tragic to the moon,

The sapphire-misted mountains,

The hot gold hush of noon.

Green tangle of the brushes,

Where lithe lianas coil,

And orchids deck the tree-tops

And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!

Her pitiless blue sky,

When sick at heart, around us,

We see the cattle die -

But then the grey clouds gather,

And we can bless again

The drumming of an army,

The steady, soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!

Land of the Rainbow Gold,

For flood and fire and famine,

She pays us back threefold -

Over the thirsty paddocks,

Watch, after many days,

The filmy veil of greenness

That thickens as we gaze.

An opal-hearted country,

A wilful, lavish land -

All you who have not loved her,

You will not understand -

Though earth holds many splendours,

Wherever I may die,

I know to what brown country

My homing thoughts will fly.

Dorothea Mackella

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

But you wrote something almost identical with regards to myself once. How could you? Don't you know we're the renovator's here to make things better. To do so the first requirement is to establish what is wrong. Abbot's removal was a ray of light. But no time to rest on laurels plenty to be done.

Ah, but you are assuming and hoping that things, allegedly bad now, will get better and better, something we thought in 1972, and again in 2007. What was the song "New" Labour sang in 1997?

"Things, aren't going to get better?"

I have to say it. Abbott is a fundamentally decent man- not a good Prime Minister ( too honest and not political enough?). The jury is out on Malcolm Turnbull who is certainly a political animal and a crowd- pleaser. Abbott is making mistakes right now, though and should seal his mouth off and move on- he is making himself look stupid with his proclamations, true or not.

I have to say it. Abbott is a fundamentally decent man- not a good Prime Minister ( too honest and not political enough?). The jury is out on Malcolm Turnbull who is certainly a political animal and a crowd- pleaser. Abbott is making mistakes right now, though and should seal his mouth off and move on- he is making himself look stupid with his proclamations, true or not.

Such an utterance came from a few of his former colleagues. I can't say I necessary witnessed it. He didn't appear particularly smart nor honest. All to his undoing I'm afraid. My view is he attempted to dumb down debate while forcing hard line policy through which utterly failed and left him floundering.

Can they ever move on? He no doubt thought his place in history would be marked above failure.

Ah, but you are assuming and hoping that things, allegedly bad now, will get better and better, something we thought in 1972, and again in 2007. What was the song "New" Labour sang in 1997?

"Things, aren't going to get better?"

To make better the patient first has to come to terms with having an illness. Hence from that point lifestyle changes along with necessary medical intervention of some form will be required to see improvement.

In 72 much did get better. But you weren't here to know what society looked like in those times. New Labour in UK was a lighter shade of Thatcherism so can hardly be countered under the Labour banner.

To make better the patient first has to come to terms with having an illness. Hence from that point lifestyle changes along with necessary medical intervention of some form will be required to see improvement.

In 72 much did get better. But you weren't here to know what society looked like in those times. New Labour in UK was a lighter shade of Thatcherism so can hardly be countered under the Labour banner.

Have you been here since 1972? Didn't think you were a fogey like me. Have to change my picture of you from 1970s Corbyn to Michael Foot in same decade!?

Does your course not include instruction or advice to read an article properly before critiquing it? (is that a word?)

From my post "if he gets rid of people like Morrison, Dutton, Cormann and Pyne."

Morrison's heart - if he has one - is as black as Abbott's for sure.

Critique? Yes we have to do that. I will have to Google it but I did critique the Herald item. I like the Herald but they despise Abbott and such up to Turnbull. I ignored the other one obviously obscure blog? Or is it a Sun type tabloid?

Graham Richardson today said the same. He does not like his politics but he likes the man.

Critique? Yes we have to do that. I will have to Google it but I did critique the Herald item. I like the Herald but they despise Abbott and such up to Turnbull. I ignored the other one obviously obscure blog? Or is it a Sun type tabloid?

No reason why Herald should be any more believable though. Rationalising of politics will obviously come down to personal bias. Reasons why those that promote accountability and transparency should be rewarded and transcend others less inclined or to outright lie and deceive. Reason why Corbyn is popular in UK. Also reason why he is most unpopular at the same time.

No reason why Herald should be any more believable though. Rationalising of politics will obviously come down to personal bias. Reasons why those that promote accountability and transparency should be rewarded and transcend others less inclined or to outright lie and deceive. Reason why Corbyn is popular in UK. Also reason why he is most unpopular at the same time.

That's why I read both Herald and OZ

to get two sides sometimes the same side.

hehe not the herald sun, isnt that whole rag satire?

a few days back they were suggesting people buy into mining asset's that most of the worlds large banks and financial institutions confirm are massively overvalued and in structural decline.

i would guess the average IQ of a herald sun reader is not likely to dig deeper, and as such are probably likely to be in a lower economic bracket.

are these really the people who can afford to throw cash at a dying industry to prop up the 1%'s profits?

seems like exploitation to me.

The trouble with that fantasy of yours is that Turnbull is popular with the electorate whereas Morrison is about as popular as a bacon sandwich at a bar mitzvah

While I'm no fan of any of them and more of a Labor voter usually I think that Turnbull has been put in charge to get the Libs popularity back to win the next election and that could very well happen as I don't have much faith in the current Labor leadership and pollies. After that though I feel that Scott Morrison is the heir in waiting and it's only a matter of time.

To try and prove a point you post a comment from some bloke I've never heard of called John Oliver. His comments weren't even about Aus's international reputation. Who is he, some sort of comedian?

Yes he is Paul1Perth... based in the US apparently but from UK parentage. Some of his "reporting" is quite funny and he sometimes hits the truth in his "stories". Have a google... just loved his view of the FIFA crisis a short time ago. I certainly wouldn't call him a serious journalist though.

Archived