Migration agent or not?

Suziedoll

Depends on you / the complexity of your case.

Personally, I think of an agent as insurance. There's too much at stake for me, to NOT use an agent.. and really, they're hardly a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

I'd have never been able to get a grant by myself I wouldn't have thought. I would have made a mistake and ballsed up by claiming too many experience points, or something along those lines.

Thanks supercow for your input. We haven't even started the process and already my head is spinning.

Yes you are right in grand scheme of things it's not a life changing amount of money.

Going to sound stupid here but what is a "grant"?

Also what agent did you use? Lots of people seem to use one in Oz but would one in UK not be handier?

I know to make sure they are mara registered

I'd say, if you've got an easy case then there's no reason to use an agent. The forms are complicated rather than difficult, and agent applications aren't given any special consideration.

BUT if you've got any doubts at all about which category to apply under, whether your qualifications are enough, what visa to apply for - get an agent. Yes, it costs money but we're talking about your future here! Wouldn't it be a tragedy to fail just because you made a small mistake somewhere? There are some good ones on these forums (W Russell, GoMatilda).

Depends on you / the complexity of your case.

Personally, I think of an agent as insurance. There's too much at stake for me, to NOT use an agent.. and really, they;re hardly a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

I'd have never been able to get a grant by myself I wouldn't have thought. I would have made a mistake and ballsed up by claiming too many experience points, or something along those lines.

Hit the nail on the head....an agent takes away any room for error that could arise from misunderstanding, misinformation, incorrect form filling etc.....they're worth their weight in gold if you get yourself a good one....there are a few very good ones who post on here, Westly Russell being one of them. If you want to be certain you've done all you can to get that visa, then an agent gives you this added security.

All the very best of luck xx

Thanks supercow for your input. We haven't even started the process and already my head is spinning.

Yes you are right in grand scheme of things it's not a life changing amount of money.

Also what agent did you use? Lots of people seem to use one in Oz but would one in UK not be handier?

S/he just means a visa grant. :wink:

Not a silly question - a Grant is a positive assessment for your visa application.

I have experience of a target group of one, but I couldn't be happier with Stephen Dickson

http://www.migrateaus.com.au

My first email to him, was in 2010... and with the hundreds of emails and stupid questions from me... he's not charged me a penny more than his schedule of cost / payments. He is in Australia, but it doesn't matter as he's never taken longer than a day to respond to any of my queries.

Hi guys just wondering if you can tell me if you think a migration agent is needed or if it's manageable to do alone?

It is manageable, with a lot of research so you don't fall foul of the small details.

My philosophy is that if you have a doubt then employ an agent. Just ensure that they are MARA registered. There are plenty in the UK.

Also don't believe the websites when they say 'MARA registered'....check them out for yourself on http://www.mara.gov.au to see if they really are. Far too many shysters out there, and sadly some people get taken in by these bright & shiny professional websites.

Also don't believe the websites when they say 'MARA registered'....check them out for yourself on www.mara.gov.au to see if they really are. Far too many shysters out there, and sadly some people get taken in by these bright & shiny professional websites.

Some organisations employ a RMA as a 'consultant', but clients are represented by an unqualified' person. Make sure a RMA is managing your case.

Archived