Money transfer

Kai

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've used Halo (based in London) to transfer EUR to AUD in the past and always got a good rate. You can even pick your own rate (on a forward contract) and if/when the rate hits your rate your contract is executed. It depends on where you think rates will go. Despite the recent rally, I think the AUD still has a bit to fall, just my opinion mind.

I've used Halo (based in London) to transfer EUR to AUD in the past and always got a good rate. You can even pick your own rate (on a forward contract) and if/when the rate hits your rate your contract is executed. It depends on where you think rates will go. Despite the recent rally, I think the AUD still has a bit to fall, just my opinion mind.

A forward contract is a specific type of derivative, buyer and seller agree a price (or rate) and a date for a transaction and it is absolutely binding and will be executed on that day no matter what the real exchange rate is.

I suspect you just mean you can instruct this company to deal when a certain price is reached, but just worth noting that is not a forward contract, just in case somebody decides to dabble in derivatives.

I recommend Moneycorp wholeheartedly. You need to register for their online service through this forum, then you don't get charged a fee.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-transfer-ask-moneycorp/228295-save-money-transfers-special-offer-forum-members.html

I registered and then got a bit confused about what to do - I rang them and organised the whole thing over the phone and by email, it was very easy.

Hi, bungo i am in a contract with halo where I have secured 30000 at the rate 2.1 for April 2016 is this valid, anxiety hitting home now ....

Loulou

Which way round? Buying the dollars? It is an ok rate compared to what we have seen in recent years, maybe the real rate will be higher than 2.1 by then in which case you were better off without it but them are the breaks.

Derivatives are not for dabbling in / gambling on they are there to either hedge risk or bring certainty, which is what you have achieved.

I exchanged from Gbp to dollars, I knew there was a chance this rate could go above 2.1 by the time we go but know it can go the other way to so just wanted a fair exchange rate and took the chance.....just anxious about the transfer now as this is our life savings but Iam sure it will be fine

Thanks bungo

I exchanged from Gbp to dollars, I knew there was a chance this rate could go above 2.1 by the time we go but know it can go the other way to so just wanted a fair exchange rate and took the chance.....just anxious about the transfer now as this is our life savings but Iam sure it will be fine

Thanks bungo

What are you anxious about? The forward contract has brought you complete certainty, you know exactly what you are going to get in April and it is not a bad rate by any means. You might as well just think of it as a done deal now and stop watching the rates (unless you have more to transfer of course).

Just an aside, interesting that you mention the forward contract was "taking a chance". I know what you mean of course, but I just wanted to provide another perspective. I have worked in multinational financial services for a very long time and have been involved in currency hedging. Derivatives are not investments, 50% of the time they are not going to bring financial gain. What they do is eliminate chance. So I would say you didn't take a chance at all. Taking a chance would have been doing nothing and then crossing your fingers and hoping for the rates to go the way you wanted to by April. What you did was remove chance, you found a rate that you were satisfied with and locked it in. You have done what all sophisticated corporate entities would do.

Great words bungo so true, the risk I took was not actually having a visa yet ooppps, but fingers crossed that will not be the case for long! I have a little more to exchange when we go but this isn't a large amount so that's why I am still peeking lol.

Great words bungo so true, the risk I took was not actually having a visa yet ooppps, but fingers crossed that will not be the case for long! I have a little more to exchange when we go but this isn't a large amount so that's why I am still peeking lol.

Haha oh dear, well I take it back, you did take a chance in that case....

:laugh:

Archived