Shipping household contents from uk to perth

Altheglaze

Hi this is my first post haven't got a clue if its right so here goes ,I'm moving to perth with the family and need a bit of advice on shipping over all the house stuff were coming over late November and need all the help I can get on sorting house rentals as well cheers in advance

Hi this is my first post haven't got a clue if its right so here goes ,I'm moving to perth with the family and need a bit of advice on shipping over all the house stuff were coming over late November and need all the help I can get on sorting house rentals as well cheers in advance

Welcome Altheglaze. It's unlikely you'll be able to get a house rental organised before you leave. It probably wouldn't be practical anyway, because your furniture etc. will take at least a month to get there and probably longer, so you'd be sitting in an empty house with no crockery, cutlery etc (Australian houses are rented unfurnished).

What you'll need to do is organise holiday accommodation, airbnb or house sitting for the first month or so while you look for a rental.

As for shipping, start decluttering now as there's no point paying to transport junk! You may be surprised how much you've collected so don't assume, take a good hard look in all your storage areas.

Welcome Altheglaze. It's unlikely you'll be able to get a house rental organised before you leave. It probably wouldn't be practical anyway, because your furniture etc. will take at least a month to get there and probably longer, so you'd be sitting in an empty house with no crockery, cutlery etc (Australian houses are rented unfurnished).

What you'll need to do is organise holiday accommodation, airbnb or house sitting for the first month or so while you look for a rental.

As for shipping, start decluttering now as there's no point paying to transport junk! You may be surprised how much you've collected so don't assume, take a good hard look in all your storage areas.

Yes Marisa Wright, I am in the process of ecluttering at the moment... I underestimated how long it would take... Need to get our house on the market in the next couple of weeks.... so it sells pre December hopefully... may need to look into house sits.

ALthegaze - We are decluttering then getting a few companies to price what it would be to move everything we want and decide if it is worth it financially, we looked at furniture and electrical strores prices when we were over reccie last month... So much to do so little time ... thankfully I am off work now..

Good luck will watch this space. Some people also post on what they would have left behind in hindsight eg hoovers ( vacuum cleaners as my hubby always corrects me ;))

If you get a removal company to come round and have a look at what you've got it might give you an idea of what is involved, a price and give you an incentive to de-clutter! We are still in the process of doing this and have been doing this for a few months now! We had PSS, Crown and Anglo-Pacific quote, you could argue much of a likeness really.

Hello , we are moving over next year when visa comes in, we was going to take all our furniture and stuff, but after shopping on line with local stores the price of just taking some of it is outrageous , and to kit a house house for 5 people I summed it all up to about £5000, and that is from everything from tea towels to bbq cutlery and pegs, beds sofas TV and kitchen stuff. If your furniture is expensive then worth taking, but if you want it to be there roughly after 3 was of getting there need to send it about 5-6wks before you go. Check out theses stores to see prices , thegoodguys , fanstastic furniture and there is many more too, plus if buy in bulk you can get the prices down too and freebies. Just make sure all foot wear is clean and if taking bikes there are clean good, use jeye fluid as you can smell it lol

Hello , we are moving over next year when visa comes in, we was going to take all our furniture and stuff, but after shopping on line with local stores the price of just taking some of it is outrageous , and to kit a house house for 5 people I summed it all up to about £5000, and that is from everything from tea towels to bbq cutlery and pegs, beds sofas TV and kitchen stuff. If your furniture is expensive then worth taking, but if you want it to be there roughly after 3 was of getting there need to send it about 5-6wks before you go. Check out theses stores to see prices , thegoodguys , fanstastic furniture and there is many more too, plus if buy in bulk you can get the prices down too and freebies. Just make sure all foot wear is clean and if taking bikes there are clean good, use jeye fluid as you can smell it lol

The trouble with shopping online is that you can't check quality. If you're happy with Argos furniture then Fantastic Furniture is fine - if you prefer quality furniture that's going to last, it will cost you three or four times as much.

A better approach is to work out how much it would cost you to replace your furniture if you had to replace it in the UK. That way you know you're comparing the same quality of stuff. We've had some long debates about the cost of household goods between the two countries and there are pluses and minuses depending on where you live and where you're going - so work with what you know, not the unknowns.

The other thing to consider - which I didn't think of when I left my stuff behind - is the sheer time and hassle involved in having to trek around and buy everything new, at a time when you've got enough other stress on your plate already.

You're going to have to book holiday accommodation airBnB or a house sitting for a month when you arrive anyway,while you look for a rental, so the waiting time for your stuff isn't as long as it sounds, especially if you're able to send it off a few weeks before you leave (something that isn't always as hard as you think, if you can borrow stuff from family/friends and "camp" in the house).

Nice one guys thanks for the advice is it best to start another thread for every new question got loads of stuff to ask but really rubbish on computers only just sorted out how to reply I think

Ask away - there's always plenty of people willing to offer advice....

My thoughts on the above:-

1. Defo arrange temporary accom for a month when you first arrive. It allows you to get a feel for suburbs, etc as I know from personal experience how many people move and then 6 months later move again... If your waiting for furniture, this also is a practical solution.

2. It is FAR cheaper to ship good than buy new....

Hi Aussiegirl.

ive lived in Perth for 8 years, and wish we'd brought more from the UK. WA prices are expensive. Furniture in particular, as we brought just a few belongings. You can get bargains secondhand. Bare in mind though that wa houses are big, so European sofas, tv stands can seem a liitle small in Perth houses.

We we do have an ikea, with another due to be build in the southern suburbs soonish. You can get stuff in target/Kmart etc. just in general the quality is not as good as Europe, and it costs more. The choice in wa is not the same as over East (and it's no where near what it's like in Europe). Hence the higher prices for things. To get stuff delivered will cost $70-100 per delivery if you're in the metropolitan are of perth, so factor that in too. Houses in general, come with dishwashers and washing machines (if build in) as Aussies don't take then with then when they move.

good luck.

laura

Im of the opinion that i have already purchased it once, i dont want to purchase it again until it dies.

Thus, i would (and did) bring everything that had decent life left in it.

Our bed frame and mattress was functional but a bit tatty so went into the OH's grannies as a spare bed, bed sizes are different here anyway, so no loss.

we also had canvas covered pine frames with cardboard drawers that claimed to be a chest of drawers and side tables, they went to the BIL, the OH was happy to see the back of them.

our second set of bedroom furniture was more robust and we brought it, after six years we have finally replaced it with something of this century, buts it continuing to live on in the granny flat.

Bigger houses over here (generally), mean you find places for all your old stuff as you accumulate more desirable things, but dont underestimate the calming factor of having familiar things around in the whirlwind that will be your first six months as a migrant.

• 2 weeks later...
need a bit of advice on shipping over all the house stuff

Your personal choice obviously.

But I don't see the point of spending all that money on shipping furniture and house contents etc...........when you can get the same stuff here.

If it was an antique or heirloom or irreplaceable; fair enough.

But otherwise personally, general every day stuff, I would give it away or sell it before leaving the UK.

Less expense and less stress for you all round.

I arrived with one suitcase and some photos. Obviously not for everyone but it was completely stress free.

When you first arrive you can arrange a package deal with Fantastic Furniture as a stop gap, and over the coming years replace the cheaper stuff with more expensive stuff.

Having said that, that was my idea, but I ended up keeping the Fantastic Furniture goods for 15 years before updating:

http://www.fantasticfurniture.com.au/c/Package%20Deals

Also I am currently furnishing my house via second hand goods through Trash Nothing. It is excellent. I have picked up the most brilliant furniture totally free:

https://trashnothing.com/groups/australia/

Gumtree is another good place for sourcing good quality furniture: http://www.gumtree.com.au/index.html

Archived