Whats a fair price for an adult return to the UK?

wattsy1982

It's been a while but found CP good when i flew with them. I think they are part of 1 world (Qantas) for points etc, if 4 of you are flying, you can family pool the points. It may pay for your Sept flight or a nice upgrade for when you go by yourself. Plenty in HK airport to amuse yourselves. 55 mins on the way back is tight - Is it the same plane (flight number)?

Generally, I expect it to cost about $2k return, yes it is cheaper from there to here which is ridiculous. You could book your flight 1 way with family and back in Sept by yourself and then book a UK-Aus return July - Sept from the UK, would need to make sure you get the same flight back as the family. I just did a trip to Dublin via Perth (stopover for 5 days), Abu Dhabi and back to Sydney via Abu Dhabi and it cost $1,900.

The $6.5k for 4 people is pretty good though.

I'm doing a bit of a mad dash to the UK next week and flying for $1200 return with Vietnam Airlines; not the best reviewed airline but a reasonable price. Hire car booked via the Qantas website is $230 for a mid-sized for 8 days from Heathrow with Avis. Reasonable prices, although I have a feeling we'll probably regret Vietnam Airlines, however its only 24 hours of our life, and I've probably flown much worse in South America.

We flew with Cathay on our last trip back to the UK. On our return we turned up at LHR about four hours early (train times) and were the first in the queue when checkin opened - they told us the flight was overbooked so would we accept 500 pounds each (so 2000 - or A$4000 - in total) compensation, a night paid for in an airport hotel with food for all four of us and breakfast the next day, and then we could fly the next day instead. Too right we bloody would!! Would definitely fly with them again :laugh:

Thought that sort of stuff ended years ago! about 20yrs ago Virgin Atlantic tried it with us once but not a good offer really. But well done you!

Thats what my wife has said, its 4.45hrs from landing to departing. You can take an hour and a half to 2 hours off that for the plane to taxi, to gate, get off, walk to gate and re-board, taxi and take off etc so when you look at it like that its probaly only just under 3 hours to kill, easily do that with a run around for the kids, food and plane spotting.

The next price up is 1.5 hours stop over at hong kong but thats $1000 more, for the sake of saving $1k we will kill the time instead.

With your car hire did you use 'Eurpcar.uk' or 'europcar.com' the reason I ask is that with the main website expats get special deals (or at least used to) think it was 15% cheaper, anyhow all the other search engines and direct to rental firms could not match Europcar and this has being the case for my last 3 visits, at present it is saying from $17 per day which is under $500 for 4 weeks.

Can hire was just under £900 for 4 weeks with Europcar I think it was.

Soon adds up

Damn! I wrote inside your quote, hope it readable

$1200, wow. What's the layover?, Straight through Hanoi?

Ho Chi Minh city, good connections going, but a long stopover on the way back. Luckily I've got SkyTeam Elite Plus membership which gives me lounge access (free status match promotion with Alitalia from Qantas Gold if anyone is interested).

Edited by CaptainR

• 3 weeks later...