457 visa

Dbantam19

Hi All,

I've been working for my current employer for the last 7 months or so on my first WHV (417). They wish to sponsor me (457) but need a written commitment from me that I'm happy with all the T&Cs before they kick-start the process from their end.

I understand the wording on the 457 visa is that is can be granted for anything between one day and four years - do I and/or my employer take this arrangement on a year-by-year basis? My boss mentioned they need me to be comfortable with "the 3-year commitment" - I am a little confused as to the timeframe commitment from my end. Or, forgetting the above, is the commitment from me in line with a contract I sign at work?

Hopefully my query is clear from the above.

Appreciate any help at this stage.

Cheers.

As the 457 is a temp visa sponsored by your employer. I wouldn't be too worried about committing to 3 years cause if either you quit or they make you redundant you will only have 90 days to find another sponsoring company before you have to leave the country. If you want to stay push them for a PR visa. That will show if they are committed. Either way looks like you get to stay here a little longer which is good [emoji6]

That's true - cheers. To be honest, the temp visa 457 looks like my only option at the moment as the requirement for the permanent visa (186) is 3+ years of work experience and I'm 9/10 months away from this - unless there's a visa out there that I've missed?!

Sorry, should've explained. 6 months under one ABN and now I've been transferred internally to a different ABN

If it is the same employer then you are stil in breach of your WHV. When it comes to light through the 457 application you could be in trouble and all this is irrelevant anyway.

Archived