Car mileage

benj1980

Ok when it comes to cars I am useless. I can just about add oil and water but that is about it... I appreciate that mileages are in kilometres which will make it look more than what I am used to but cars seem to last longer than in the UK. Is there any real logical explanation for this? Are they serviced more, better built etc.. At what point should you avoid a car when it's at a certain mileage?

True, but all those things happen to cars in Australia too, cars aren't inherently more reliable downunder, a lot of the time the cars in both places come of the same production line, I know someone who has two year old car in Melbourne, it's already had two replacement engines, under warranty luckily.

Cars are more expensive here. They hold their value more. I think its just they make them go on longer so as to avoid having to buy a newer one.

We spent $6000 on an 8 year old Astra. 60,000km on the clock, FSH. Its been fine so far. The usual things gone over 2 years, tyres, brakes, water pump alas. We paid to get it fixed as its still a good car.

Guest Dave53

We have a Misubishi Mirage with 450,000Km on the clock , bought it new and services every 100,000km whether it needed it our not ..it's just given up the ghost .. I was hoping to get 500,000 out of it .. Can any one beat that ..

Dave C

Guest Bobajob

Longer trips with hot oil means they don't wear out so quickly. It's why taxis here do 1,000,000 kms on one engine (two transmissions).

bought it new and services every 100,000km whether it needed it our not ..it's just given up the ghost .. I was hoping to get 500,000 out of it .. Can any one beat that ..

Dave C

I'd expect that with service intervals of 100,000km it would absolutely require a service!

Maybe a few more frequent services would have seen it get you over the 500,000km. :-)

Archived