Help! I've washed my sons iPhone! 30c

Que Sera Sera

My phones have been swimming more times than I have in the past 10 years. Usually I just grab them really quickly, obviously dry them off and then I shove it on a radiator :laugh: I know that's probably not the smartest thing to do but I've never used the rice thing and mines have always worked properly again after a few days. My blackberry worked the next day. My iPhone when It got wet in the lake district took a bit longer to work properly and I did think it was a lost cause because it had a crack in the screen too but it lasted a few more months before I claimed insurance

My phones have been swimming more times than I have in the past 10 years. Usually I just grab them really quickly, obviously dry them off and then I shove it on a radiator :laugh: I know that's probably not the smartest thing to do but I've never used the rice thing and mines have always worked properly again after a few days. My blackberry worked the next day. My iPhone when It got wet in the lake district took a bit longer to work properly and I did think it was a lost cause because it had a crack in the screen too but it lasted a few more months before I claimed insurance

Wots a radiator ? :wink:

Soapy water and electronics are not a good match. The soap residue, even after its dry, can create shorts in the circuit.

It might be worth getting one of the iPhone repairers in your local shopping centre to crack it open and give it a clean with some isopropanol.

Shall I dry it first and see? Or would that make it worse ? We are due new ones in two months? He doesn't really use it as a phone in the conventional sense.

If it was mine, I'd let it dry and then I'd clean it out myself, cos I monkey around with electronics and stuff. [emoji12]

The soap residue is actually easier to identify and then clean off once it's all dried out.

You might find that after leaving it for a few days in the rice, it will be dry enough to switch on (but you don't know until you try). If it works ok, you might find that over the next few months, it will become unreliable (dodgy switches and home button). It might work for long enough to get you to end of contract.

Edit, for what it's worth, my wife's iPhone has been in the loo twice, kitchen sink once, and in a large tub of partly melted butter twice too! It still works ok. (The dangers of working in a cafe!).

What you can't know is what damage occurred as the washing machine filled up; assuming the phone was switched on at the time. It might have crapped itself already. You just need to wait and see what happens after a few days drying out.

What's the aussie word for radiator? Can someone write me a aussie words for dummies manual before I go out...

I already know not to say rooting or sprog

Aw sorry I was trying to be comical it never works. We just don't have radiators here anyway, they might have in the colder States. :laugh:

If it was mine, I'd let it dry and then I'd clean it out myself, cos I monkey around with electronics and stuff. [emoji12]

The soap residue is actually easier to identify and then clean off once it's all dried out.

You might find that after leaving it for a few days in the rice, it will be dry enough to switch on (but you don't know until you try). If it works ok, you might find that over the next few months, it will become unreliable (dodgy switches and home button). It might work for long enough to get you to end of contract.

Edit, for what it's worth, my wife's iPhone has been in the loo twice, kitchen sink once, and in a large tub of partly melted butter twice too! It still works ok. (The dangers of working in a cafe!).

What you can't know is what damage occurred as the washing machine filled up; assuming the phone was switched on at the time. It might have crapped itself already. You just need to wait and see what happens after a few days drying out.

Thanks so much. It was switched on and went through a 30 degree, 30 minute fast wash. Mine has been down the loo twice too, but not for 30 minutes . We'll just have to see I suppose. Thanks again.

Aw sorry I was trying to be comical it never works. We just don't have radiators here anyway, they might have in the colder States. :laugh:

oh don't worry it's me. Im just not with im atm lol my SU told me this morning that I had put the milk in the cupboard. :eek:

I have a FB friend from ireland in perth atm and he finds it freezing but he's been in thailand so maybe that's why. I hope your phone gets fixed!

oh don't worry it's me. Im just not with im atm lol my SU told me this morning that I had put the milk in the cupboard. :eek:

I have a FB friend from ireland in perth atm and he finds it freezing but he's been in thailand so maybe that's why. I hope your phone gets fixed!

To be fair it is cold at night 12c last night and 9c tonight so a radiator would have come in useful :laugh:

My daughter dropped her's in the bath and i placed it in a zip lock bag of rice for 2 days ,close to the fire and it worked fine afterwards. I read getting them too hot can damage them more and that its best to leave them alone to dry out than keep trying every few hours to turn it on.

Fingers crossed it works for you too

Cal x

My daughter dropped her's in the bath and i placed it in a zip lock bag of rice for 2 days ,close to the fire and it worked fine afterwards. I read getting them too hot can damage them more and that its best to leave them alone to dry out than keep trying every few hours to turn it on.

Fingers crossed it works for you too

Cal x

Thanks Cal I'll keep it in the rice and stick it out for a sunbathe tomorrow again :yes:

Archived