Can anyone give some guidance please!!

Daniellek

Hi all,

myself and my husband have decided that we would like to start the process of moving to Australia with our two young children.

we don't no were to start, my husband is a qualified electrician,

but for the last 5 years he has been working in a data centre as a senior critical environment technician.

what type of visa should we be looking for?

also is there work for people in data centres or is he better off doing his trade?

also we are 26.

any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated

thanks

I think your next steps would be to see if he could pass the skills assessment as an electrician. It might be that his experience as an electrician is not recent enough for him to pass the skills assessment. In this case, have a look to see if current occupation fits into any occupation on the skilled occupation lists, SOL /CSOL.

Thanks bungo for your reply, in his current job he is still working with electrics, it's really just his job title has changed, I will look up about the skills assessment :)

Hi! You should try and find a free seminar for emigrating near where you live. That's what we did with The Emigration Group in Chester and they give you a free visa assessment and offer advice!

I had a friend who did a similar role, he looked at: - 341112 Electrician (Special Class)

Services and repairs intricate and complex electrical and electronic circuitry. Registration or licensing is required.

Current Eligible Visas for this Occupation include

190 for states NSW SA WA

489 for states NSW SA WA

489 family sponsorship

As others have said - talk to someone in the know, at a seminar or 1 to 1 is probably the best approach to crystallise your options.

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure that for a permanent skilled migration visa you have to have worked a minimum of 12 months out of the last 24 in the job that you're applying to get the visa on. So if you're hubby only qualifies for a visa based on him being an electrician then he wouldn't technically qualify. He would have to get his qualifications & experience checked by the relevant assessing body & that involves giving detailed references for every job he's had as an electrician, every tool he's used & what his general daily tasks are etc. it's assessed against whatever the official job description is for electricians.

Even though he's working in electrics now I'm guessing he isn't doing general electricians duties so it wouldn't count towards the 12 out of 24 months rule. Maybe he can apply under his current job role (if it's on the SOL), but you might come stuck if you're hubby only has experience & no qualifications in what his current job...it's a mind field!

Most of the main migration companies will give you free advice & tell you if you're eligible etc - just ring up & make out you're going to book them to apply for your visa! Good luck!

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure that for a permanent skilled migration visa you have to have worked a minimum of 12 months out of the last 24 in the job that you're applying to get the visa on.

That's not correct. As long as you get a positive skills assessment, you can consider applying for a visa (assuming you have at least 60 points, etc.).

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure that for a permanent skilled migration visa you have to have worked a minimum of 12 months out of the last 24 in the job that you're applying to get the visa on.

The 12 out of 24 month rule was around when I applied for my visa in 2009, but it has long since been removed, maybe gone about 3 or 4 years ago now.

Archived