Transit in Abu Dhabi

Rosiehome

Can anybody offer any advice. I have a ten hour transit in Abu Dhabi and want to get some sleep. The airport hotel is fully booked for the night I am there, however trip advisor has great reviews for the Premier Inn just outside Terminal 3. If we leave the airport during transit do we have to collect all our bags and re-check in or can the bags remain checked through?

Thanks

Can anybody offer any advice. I have a ten hour transit in Abu Dhabi and want to get some sleep. The airport hotel is fully booked for the night I am there, however trip advisor has great reviews for the Premier Inn just outside Terminal 3. If we leave the airport during transit do we have to collect all our bags and re-check in or can the bags remain checked through?

First, I suggest you check with your airline to see if you can book a stopover through them - then they will organise everything for you, including transit to and from the hotel at the right time.

Your bags should be checked through, so you will have to put whatever you need for the stopover in your hand carry. During stopovers I have also stayed at the Yas Island hotels (Crowne Plaza and Centro) which are about a 5 or 10 minute taxi ride (really easy, taxis are smart, clean and metered) away. Abu Dhabi is a smallish airport and arriving back at the airport 1 hour before will give you plenty of time to get through security etc.

Thanks CaptainR. Did you apply for the 96 hour visa before you travelled or is it fairly straightforward to get once you are there?Flight centre told me I'd have to collect all my bags to leave the airport but that doesn't make sense to me as the bags presumably will have been checked straight through as you said. Also the airport website suggests if you are in transit for more than four hours you might like to go sightseeing or have a game of golf which would seem pretty difficult if you had all your luggage in tow!Marisawright it isn't classed as a stopover I don't think - just in transit between connecting flights

Flight centre told me I'd have to collect all my bags to leave the airport but that doesn't make sense to me as the bags presumably will have been checked straight through as you said.

If you have booked through Flight Centre then goodness knows what nasties you have signed up to. Most airports let you check baggage through to the final destination provided no interval between flights exceeds 24 hours, there is no domestic leg, and it is all on one ticket. But there are exceptions.

With Flight Centre, you'll pay an arm and a leg for any additions, amendments or extras.

Thanks CaptainR. Did you apply for the 96 hour visa before you travelled or is it fairly straightforward to get once you are there?Flight centre told me I'd have to collect all my bags to leave the airport but that doesn't make sense to me as the bags presumably will have been checked straight through as you said. Also the airport website suggests if you are in transit for more than four hours you might like to go sightseeing or have a game of golf which would seem pretty difficult if you had all your luggage in tow!Marisawright it isn't classed as a stopover I don't think - just in transit between connecting flights

If you hold a UK or Australian passport, you will just get stamped in on arrival, no need to apply for an visas beforehand. If you are booked on one ticket with the same airline (presumably etihad) and a single e-ticket number you will almost certainly have you bags checked through to the final destination.

Travel agents will sometimes tell you the worst case scenario when they aren't sure, just so that if it does go wrong you can't go back and blame them.

Travel agents will sometimes tell you the worst case scenario when they aren't sure, just so that if it does go wrong you can't go back and blame them.

Flight Centre sometimes seems to actively sell customers an unsuitable product - perhaps to increase their income through their eye-watering change fees.

Flight Centre sometimes seems to actively sell customers an unsuitable product - perhaps to increase their income through their eye-watering change fees.

In fairness Quinkla, I chose the route, the itinerary and the airline, and flight centre merely price matched for me. I deliberately chose a long transit time in Abu Dhabi so that my 17 yr old son could get a decent sleep as he is 6'4" and can never sleep on the plane. I've been using them for about ten years with no problems so far, but I'm sure you're right and they would charge heavily for any changes.

If you hold a UK or Australian passport, you will just get stamped in on arrival, no need to apply for an visas beforehand. If you are booked on one ticket with the same airline (presumably etihad) and a single e-ticket number you will almost certainly have you bags checked through to the final destination.

That makes life much easier. Thanks for the practical advice - better to ask those who have actually done this rather than rely on "theory" from the web.

In fairness Quinkla, I chose the route, the itinerary and the airline, and flight centre merely price matched for me. I deliberately chose a long transit time in Abu Dhabi so that my 17 yr old son could get a decent sleep as he is 6'4" and can never sleep on the plane. I've been using them for about ten years with no problems so far, but I'm sure you're right and they would charge heavily for any changes.

A note for the future: Emirates offer a free hotel room with certain stopovers between 8-24 hours. They are often cheaper tickets too as most people don't want such a long transit time.

Actually (and sorry for the mini hijack) I'm going through Abu Dhabi in October and have about 4 hours. Can anyone recommend a lounge that I can access on economy? I just want to chill out and have a shower. I know they have free showers there but they're not great and often busy.

I've had a look online but it's hard to determine if the lounges are value for money. They seem expensive. Any way of paying the entrance fee with points or anything like that?

In fairness Quinkla, I chose the route, the itinerary and the airline, and flight centre merely price matched for me.

I just don't understand why people do this. Once someone has done the research, found the route and flights they want, got the best price - why would they then buy the product through Flight Centre? It saves [almost] no money but guarantees additional hassle and expense if anything subsequently changes.

I just don't understand why people do this. Once someone has done the research, found the route and flights they want, got the best price - why would they then buy the product through Flight Centre? It saves [almost] no money but guarantees additional hassle and expense if anything subsequently changes.

Some people feel more comfortable (safe) in using a travel agent, though this is a little false security. The price beater promise may seem like a draw card it is only usually $1 better but they then hit you for the credit card fee, but this can also be avoided by getting a price from a web site like 'best jet' which have no card fee, Flight centre also match that, and this is exactly what I did for my last UK trip as I had to use Flight Centre to put my credit card rewards in the deal.

More times than not I book direct with the airline, especially with long haul as we can reserve/request seats at the actual time of booking, with an agent normal wait to do this is 24hrs minimum.

Some people feel more comfortable (safe) in using a travel agent, though this is a little false security. The price beater promise may seem like a draw card it is only usually $1 better but they then hit you for the credit card fee, but this can also be avoided by getting a price from a web site like 'best jet' which have no card fee, Flight centre also match that, and this is exactly what I did for my last UK trip as I had to use Flight Centre to put my credit card rewards in the deal.

More times than not I book direct with the airline, especially with long haul as we can reserve/request seats at the actual time of booking, with an agent normal wait to do this is 24hrs minimum.

There is one advantage of booking through an agent and that is when things go wrong, particularly en-route if you are having difficulties with the airline a call to a good travel agent will take some weight off you whilst they can make the calls from the comfort of their office.

Actually (and sorry for the mini hijack) I'm going through Abu Dhabi in October and have about 4 hours. Can anyone recommend a lounge that I can access on economy? I just want to chill out and have a shower. I know they have free showers there but they're not great and often busy.

I've had a look online but it's hard to determine if the lounges are value for money. They seem expensive. Any way of paying the entrance fee with points or anything like that?

If you meet the requirements, sign up for an ANZ Frequent Flyer Black credit card (no annual fee for the first year) and you will get complimentary lounge access in Abu Dhabi. If flying Etihad you will need to change terminals which involves going through security and a bit of a walk, but more then doable in 4 hours. You will have a choice of three lounges and could just choose which one you like. Otherwise if you can't get the credit card, you can go and take a look at the lounges and ask to see inside before you pay on door.

If you meet the requirements, sign up for an ANZ Frequent Flyer Black credit card (no annual fee for the first year) and you will get complimentary lounge access in Abu Dhabi. If flying Etihad you will need to change terminals which involves going through security and a bit of a walk, but more then doable in 4 hours. You will have a choice of three lounges and could just choose which one you like. Otherwise if you can't get the credit card, you can go and take a look at the lounges and ask to see inside before you pay on door.

Great tip, thanks. Looks like I meet the requirements so I think I'll do that.

Cheers!

Great tip, thanks. Looks like I meet the requirements so I think I'll do that.

Cheers!

The full list of lounges you get access to by flashing the card: https://www.anz.com/resources/2/5/257c91e2-1f9f-4efb-bf2d-b9a65d744c7e/Complimentary-Airport-Lounge-Access-Program-Terms-Conditions.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Also you get two free entries into the Sydney Airport Amex lounge.

If you are travelling with wife/partner, get them on as an additional card holder (also free) and they will get the same privileges.

Archived