Can we move to Aus while im waiting for 457 approval ??

JULIE RYCROFT

Wow indeed. Never heard of such confidence before. Very surprised that an animal can be transported prior to visa being issued. A visitor visa would not be acceptable surely?

Why would the quarantine or airline care about anyone's visa? They deal with the animals as cargo and have nothing to do with the owners.

Think the posters getting a bit of unnecessary stick here. They would have been preparing to get their dog out for months. Wait for the grant and then start the long dog shipping process, or do it all in good time and time it so the dog is released at the same time they should arrive?!

Why would the quarantine or airline care about anyone's visa? They deal with the animals as cargo and have nothing to do with the owners.

Think the posters getting a bit of unnecessary stick here. They would have been preparing to get their dog out for months. Wait for the grant and then start the long dog shipping process, or do it all in good time and time it so the dog is released at the same time they should arrive?!

I don't recall providing my visa details when we moved our pets, that is true.

But I don't think OP is getting unnecessary stick, the visa is not even applied for yet but the dog is booked on a flight and into quarantine. It is completely daft and very presumptuous.

Pet transportation can be arranged relatively quickly and in any case most people will need three weeks or so to find accommodation anyway and accordingly would not want the dog to arrive at the same time. A slight delay makes sense.

I think people are just a little concerned. Visas can take weeks or months to arrive - even 457's.

It's never a good idea to book transport for yourself or pets until the visa is approved. In this case, the visa has not been applied for yet.

I think people are just a little concerned. Visas can take weeks or months to arrive - even 457's.

It's never a good idea to book transport for yourself or pets until the visa is approved. In this case, the visa has not been applied for yet.

Granted, I have no idea how long a 457 takes. But I do know I had to pay for the quarantine space months before my dog flew here. I guess the OP could always rearrange the quarantine if no visa by the time he is due to leave (although would then have to make arrangements from Melbourne one as Sydney would be closed)

I guess it's a difficult call about when to do what!

Granted, I have no idea how long a 457 takes. But I do know I had to pay for the quarantine space months before my dog flew here. I guess the OP could always rearrange the quarantine if no visa by the time he is due to leave (although would then have to make arrangements from Melbourne one as Sydney would be closed)

I guess it's a difficult call about when to do what!

Perhaps you just chose to book in and pay months in advance, it is what I would do too if I had my visa and a firm moving date months in advance.

But it definitely is not necessary to do this, we arranged our move including pets with three weeks notice and had no trouble whatsoever.

I don't think it is a difficult call about when to do what. Do it when the visa is approved. Simple.

Airline certainly checks visa with foreign passports that they have a valid visa. Rather natural to assume I'd have thought that this would apply towards animals. The responsibility of repatriation being on airline costs in the worst cost scenario.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that Sydney is closing soon too. It was a god awful place, the standard of accommodation made me want to cry when I visited.
Yes, end of October apparently. They charge $150 a night which is a disgrace. We're going to drive down from Brisbane to pick ours up, luckily just in time before the facility closes otherwise he'd have needed another flight from Melbourne or a very long drive.

We're going to drive down from Brisbane to pick ours up, luckily just in time before the facility closes otherwise he'd have needed another flight from Melbourne or a very long drive.

Wow - that is a long drive! We are having our 2 dogs collected and flown up to Gold Coast from Sydney for £250, its even cheaper if you don't do it on a Saturday.

Wow - that is a long drive! We are having our 2 dogs collected and flown up to Gold Coast from Sydney for £250, its even cheaper if you don't do it on a Saturday.
Yeah - Given he'll have done a 15 hour flight from Vancouver we really didn't want to add another flight unless absolutely necessary.

Hello Julie! You got a job in a hospital in Perth? And got sponsorship? Can you tell me which agency you applied through. The 457 visa is something I would like to explore- I am a children's nurse looking to apply. Would appreciate some recently experienced advice. Thank you.

Lara

Archived