Short trip to Australia just to meet the 1st entry requirement?

goliveira

I would like to know if anyone here has ever been unable to move to Australia before the visa's first entry deadline, and, therefore, made a short trip just to meet the first entry requirement on time.

I find myself in a situation where I can only move to Australia 2 months after my visa's first entry deadline, and I am unsure whether arriving and leaving Australia before that deadline could bring me any negative consequences.

In addition, it's also unlikely that my spouse and I will be able to travel together before the deadline due to mutual professional commitments. We can only find the time to travel separately, and I wonder if that could be an issue as well.

Who's the main applicant? We had a condition attached to my PR visa that I as the second applicant was only allowed to enter Australia as a PR (in my own right) after my spouse as the main applicant has done his initial entry first. It's important to read the fine print just in case you've got the same condition

Who's the main applicant? We had a condition attached to my PR visa that I as the second applicant was only allowed to enter Australia as a PR (in my own right) after my spouse as the main applicant has done his initial entry first. It's important to read the fine print just in case you've got the same condition

I am.

Both grant letters came with "Visa conditions = NIL".

I believe the visa holder AND dependants on the visa must all travel within the timescale requirements.

Yes.

We both plan to make 2 separate short trips to Australia before the deadline. I, as the main applicant, would travel in September and stay for 20 days. My spouse would then travel in December and stay for a week.

Since our deadline is May 26th, 2015, I think the first entry requirement would be met by these 2 short trips, and then we would be free to finally move to Perth together in June 2016 and stay there indefinitely.

I am just concerned because we would both be absent from Australia on May 26th, 2016, even though we would both have made one valid entry with the new visas by then.

Yes.

We both plan to make 2 separate short trips to Australia before the deadline. I, as the main applicant, would travel in September and stay for 20 days. My spouse would then travel in December and stay for a week.

Since our deadline is May 26th, 2015, I think the first entry requirement would be met by these 2 short trips, and then we would be free to finally move to Perth together in June 2016 and stay there indefinitely.

I am just concerned because we would both be absent from Australia on May 26th, 2016, even though we would both have made one valid entry with the new visas by then.

I think that should be ok.

We were in a similar situation like you.. We were working in Japan when we got our PR granted.. We made just 1 short visit (1 week holiday to Cairns) to 'activate' the visa and then eventually made the move to Oz just before the PR expired

If you don't have condition 8502 on your visa, then you can travel separately in any order. As long as all visa holders make an entry to Australia before the initial entry date, then you're fine. You can then make the permanent move any time after that (5 years after the visa is granted the entry rights expire so you should try to move by then at the lastest, which sounds like a non-issue from your plans).

Archived