Feeling guilty ?

bristolman

No I meant when she was 8, she said she had this attachment to Australia when she was 8 but had never been there.

I was like that IIRC - maybe a bit older and Robert Mitchum was in the Sundowners - very strong attachment like I knew that Australia would be in my future. That I then met and married an Australian was pure fluke - we didnt live there for the first nearly 6 yrs of our marriage though (I think I wanted to go because it meant I would always have a holiday on my birthday - Anzac Day LOL). We went because it seemed like a good opportunity at the time and it suited us well, we did well, the kids were OK (one has emigrated back and has no intention of ever returning) but it was never "home" despite all rationalization to the contrary, even though I was, as I thought, strongly attached for many years. Ya never can tell, can ya?!

I emigrated with my family when I was a small child and grew up in SA.I'm in the UK now,but I didn't leave Oz because I hated it.I had a run of bad things happening,and really did feel like a fresh start.Sometimes when people come across as "being desparate"to get to Oz,I often wonder whether its either that they live in a crap part of the UK,orthey need a fresh start,just like I did.Hate that "living the dream"saying!:laugh:If my parents hadn't of emigrated,and we would of stayed in the UK,I doubt very much I would have an inkling to emigrate somewhere else.For one we lived in a gorgeous place/area,and it would of been quite nice NOT to have lived anywhere else.

I was like that IIRC - maybe a bit older and Robert Mitchum was in the Sundowners - very strong attachment like I knew that Australia would be in my future. That I then met and married an Australian was pure fluke - we didnt live there for the first nearly 6 yrs of our marriage though (I think I wanted to go because it meant I would always have a holiday on my birthday - Anzac Day LOL). We went because it seemed like a good opportunity at the time and it suited us well, we did well, the kids were OK (one has emigrated back and has no intention of ever returning) but it was never "home" despite all rationalization to the contrary, even though I was, as I thought, strongly attached for many years. Ya never can tell, can ya?!

I knew it after reading The Thorn Birds! Don't know why, I just knew I'd live there one day!

I have had people ask me why we came back to England because things must be better in Australia but that sort of comment is very rare nowadays. We don't personally know anyone who wants to move or expressed any desire to. Some comment about the beaches or whatever but that's as far as it goes.

As far as your last comment, no I mean people who are going through the process.

Yes, I realised that after I'd posted, but no, I still don't feel guilty. They're going through what everyone has to go through to a greater or lesser extent. We had to come back to the UK after the 'goalposts' for my husband changed. He did what was necessary to go back.

We then came back because our girls were unhappy at a critical point in their education. No regrets, and we'll probably go back again in a couple of years when the youngest is through school and my husband can retire (at 55) from his NHS position.

Those going through the process now are younger than us and are jumping through the same hoops that we did.

I think those that apply for a visa due to having "essential skills that Australia needs & wants" & then don't go, should feel guilty, but for those of us that move heaven & earth & spend many a great penny, should feel no guilt for going & then coming back for whatever reason that is. We have been given a 4yr temp business visa & we intend to see this out, but if we fail or we just decide that Oz isn't the land of honey then I will come home a little poorer but with no shame or guilt whatsoever!

Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who could understand my post lol. My situation is a little different as I grew up in Australia. So at age 8 you had never actually been there ? When I came back to England with my parents when still at school there was literally nowhere in the world as good as Australia, everything was better there. Over the years that changed.

Thats because its drummed into you that nowhere is as good. Thats what my little girl thought until she got here with me, now she's like ok there is a better life outside perfect Australia. Its quite funny but thats the Ozzie positive attitude, not a bad thing.

I would still tell someone with a young family to go for it though..its a great life for very young children .

What about if one is just 26 years old and groom-to-be? Go for it or not to go for it?

What about if one is just 26 years old and groom-to-be? Go for it or not to go for it?

If you have a better offer than the one you've got now then possibly, all depending on how self sufficient (and selfish but not in a pejorative sense) you are as a family. If your new family is enmeshed with your established families then it takes a certain kind of strength to survive. Only you know how strong you can be.

Thats because its drummed into you that nowhere is as good. Thats what my little girl thought until she got here with me, now she's like ok there is a better life outside perfect Australia. Its quite funny but thats the Ozzie positive attitude, not a bad thing.

I like the positive attitude, what I don't like is the superior attitude. That wears thin very quickly. Our kids love their new life here, one misses Cherry Ripe's and the other misses an old friend.

Archived