Can 457 dependants be added in stages?

Britabroad

Hi,

I'm applying for a 457 visa, my wife and children weren't included as we were unsure whether to bring all our children or not as they are very young and it would be a struggle for us to live in a new country with no relatives to support us. We now decide to leave the youngest child with her grandparents (who are more than happy to take care of her) for a couple of years. Once my visa is granted, we will apply for wife and eldest child to join me. Can we add the youngest child on a later date, say 2 years later? Or do they all have to apply as dependents at the same time?

Thank you very much.

Hi,

I'm applying for a 457 visa, my wife and children weren't included as we were unsure whether to bring all our children or not as they are very young and it would be a struggle for us to live in a new country with no relatives to support us. We now decide to leave the youngest child with her grandparents (who are more than happy to take care of her) for a couple of years. Once my visa is granted, we will apply for wife and eldest child to join me. Can we add the youngest child on a later date, say 2 years later? Or do they all have to apply as dependents at the same time?

Thank you very much.

Wow, that's a big deal. I have no idea if you can.

However, do remember the 457 is only a temporary visa, so after four years you may all be heading back to the UK anyway.

It is not necessary to add dependents on in stages, makes more work for everyone including the employer who might not appreciate going through the process multiple times (they have to support the application for each new dependent). Just add everyone at once on your original application.

Regarding some of the comments, I can only assume you are not a "BritAbroad" at all, because what you are suggesting is quite shocking within the western culture, although I appreciate that it is different in other cultures.

Edited by Bungo

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated! I have read that for permanent visa like 189, dependents can't be added later if they weren't included in the original application as migrating dependent. I suppose the rules are defferent for 457? Do we still have to declare the youngest child as non-migrating dependent?

Hi Bungo, you're almost right regarding cultural sphere. Although I'm British, my wife is from China and it is common in her country to leave young children with grandparents while the parents work in cities hundreds of km away. Although in our case we would be talking about many 1000s of km away. I feel sad talking about this now but when it comes to life choices, there are some external factors beyond our control that determine what we have to do at the time when it seem appropriate

Hi Bungo, you're almost right regarding cultural sphere. Although I'm British, my wife is from China and it is common in her country to leave young children with grandparents while the parents work in cities hundreds of km away. Although in our case we would be talking about many 1000s of km away. I feel sad talking about this now but when it comes to life choices, there are some external factors beyond our control that determine what we have to do at the time when it seem appropriate

Im sorry but culture or no culture , nothing would ever induce me to leave my child behind, to emigrate. It's wrong.

If you don't like it and it makes you sad, then don't to it! Plenty of parents and even single parents cope with a few children.

Im sorry but culture or no culture , nothing would ever induce me to leave my child behind, to emigrate. It's wrong.

I feel like that too.

Then it struck me, there are plenty of people that move here and who leave one parent behind in the UK after being granted court permission to do so. I guess it is not so different after all.

I feel like that too.

Then it struck me, there are plenty of people that move here and who leave one parent behind in the UK after being granted court permission to do so. I guess it is not so different after all.

No this is very different , although neither is ideal. Try explaining to an infant why you left them behind whilst you chased your dream with their older sibling! As a parent of teenagers I can assure the OP the conversation is not likely to go well!

No this is very different , although neither is ideal. Try explaining to an infant why you left them behind whilst you chased your dream with their older sibling! As a parent of teenagers I can assure the OP the conversation is not likely to go well!

I do see the difference, but in a way it is very much the same.

The parent that moves to the other side of the world still has to explain why they 'chased their dream', which ultimately resulted in one parent being left behind. Just a thought anyway.

If I had children, I know I would never leave them either, I would not leave my cat never mind a child. My instincts are right with yours. However you could also say try explaining to a child why they were separated from one parent because the other wanted to chase a dream. It happens and some children have to grow up away from one parent, this one away from both.

There has been a couple of instances on this forum where the sponsoring company has refused to sponsor subsequent entries on a 457 - as there is a cost to the company for each additional applicant (they have to pay for their return flight) you are changing the agreement from "just me" to "oh and my wife, oh and child 1, oh and child 2". The additional paperwork and cost might be enough for them to say "forget it - you are fired". I would not risk it.