Things you didn't know you would need to buy

Guest Moa

Hi

Did anyone find that when they arrived in OZ there were things that they need to buy that they hadn't thought of?

I was thinking that perhaps we would need to buy a kettle and a toaster and some plates and glasses until all our stuff arrived for a unfurnished rental house.

Was there anything unexpected you needed to buy or costs you hadn't thought of?

Thanks

A couple of games for the kids, our rental was fully furnished, the kids had brought their DS - but someone very kindly lent us some games, jigsaws etc., for them. As we arrived in summer, we bought a soccer ball and a cricket bat for when we went to the park.

Ali

Guest mandy1

Hi all

We bought new stuff over here & it was the little things that we kept forgetting, like a broom, dustpan, floormats, t towels, potato peeler, etc.. You will only think of these type of things when you come to use them & you don't have them! Also as ali says if you've kids books, balls, and boardgames are handy to have.

Mandy x

breezers and xxxx are screw top Giz!!lol, its funny when people want a corkscrew and i have to leg it next door quick,lol and thats 18mth down the line ,i really should start writting shopping lists!

Cal x

Get your point Cal, must of the men use the inside of their elbow to open a stubbie etc - perhaps i should say Bottle Opener for all the aussie wine :biglaugh:

Thanks for everyones suggestions, I have added it to our ever growing list of things we will need to buy.

Guest Jaynie

Tongs for the Barbie, electric heater for the house if you're coming over soon, pretty cold at the moment at night, hot water bottles for the bed to keep you cosy, Ugg boots for inside and out, Oh and did I mention 'Stubbie Holders for the beer'?? LOL That'll keep you warm and your spirits up! Just cracked open another tinnie!

Guest gothicqueen
Tongs for the Barbie, electric heater for the house if you're coming over soon, pretty cold at the moment at night, hot water bottles for the bed to keep you cosy, Ugg boots for inside and out, Oh and did I mention 'Stubbie Holders for the beer'?? LOL That'll keep you warm and your spirits up! Just cracked open another tinnie!

Got to say I draw the line at ugg boots..... LOL:arghh:

• 1 month later...
Hi

Did anyone find that when they arrived in OZ there were things that they need to buy that they hadn't thought of?...I was thinking that perhaps we would need to buy a kettle and a toaster and some plates and glasses until all our stuff arrived for a unfurnished rental house. ..Was there anything unexpected you needed to buy or costs you hadn't thought of?..Thanks

Hi Moa:

I know the list is getting pretty long, but some things I really wished I'd packed OR mailed to myself... which you can easily do & collect with ID at the PO - (which out here are FAB, proper Post Offices) include:

Job-Hunters: VIP: laptop; if you have all your info ahead of time, re: residence, phone, etc., printed business cards, otherwise pack business card blanks & labels & bring/buy a cheap printer so when you have the phone, address, etc., you'll be able to print off cards & resumes to hand out to people you meet, could be V. useful - folks don't forget you! Selection of resumes; quality paper for job applications/cover letters - otherwise, if you have an Office Works near you, but you might only need 1/2 dz sheets - they have an amazing selection of all things clerical. Also, paper clips & scissors, even selotape,

Work & Personal references, a selection of recent & older bills, birth certificates, mortgage/rental agreements, photo id, driver's licences, NHS card...

Check your Outlook Address book is COMPLETE & UP TO DATE- everyone you may ever need to contact, birthdays, anniversaries, addresses, works phone #'s, etc., etc.. If no computer buy an address book & get the kids to fill it up for you...

Winter-time Movers: Warm clothing, hats, gloves, scarfs, hot water bottles (Electric blankets seem expensive, so buy some new replacements if necy & pack in container) whatever they say, it gets just as cold of an evening as it does in UK, & many places do not have central heat! So be prepared!

Books I think are very expensive & I can't see anything like Amazon out here, so books on flora/fauna, Aussie plant/gardening books, etc.. Ideal House warming gifts...

Your fav pillow; cd's; pearing knife; a calendar, sketch pad, pencils & notepad. Some fav chocs, throat pastilles, anything you're particular too, if you are fussy like me, :spinny:that you may have a hard time replacing right away...!!

Things to purchase locally: area maps; car; mobile; broadband - HOUSE/LAND...

I'm sure there was more, but have forgotten again... bother! :wideeyed:

Hope this Helps,

Cheers

Guest Badger Brock

Hi Herbster

Thats really useful stuff. I know when I visit my daughter in Aus, I get jolly chilly at night, as they dont put any heating on. Im due to go out end October hopefully, and think I might take your advice and buy an electric blanket!

Veronica

Hi Herbster

Thats really useful stuff. I know when I visit my daughter in Aus, I get jolly chilly at night, as they dont put any heating on. Im due to go out end October hopefully, and think I might take your advice and buy an electric blanket!

Veronica

Good Idea Veronica:

Hard enuf sleeping in an unfamiliar bed, but when it's cold it's almost impossible - that's what we've found. Least you could mail it out ahead of time, (as it's a bit heavy for baggage) plus some other essentials - biscuits, choccies, tic-tacs, and declare it all as gifts... just give your daughter a Head's Up, so she doesn't scoff it all before your arrival!!! :nah: Actually you can also buy maps etc., on-line before departure, because although it seems you can buy that stuff here for the same-ish price, they are not always in stock when you go to buy them & need them!!! Every little helps!!

Cheers,

Guest Badger Brock

Hi Herbie

I had been thinking of getting a quote for sending some essential stuff over separately from the main household stuff. Like the dog crate, leads, bowls, pillows, ELECTRIC BLANKET, winter woollies. I wont need the rest until I buy somewhere, which might take a couple of months, so it can take longer to get there for all I care, rather than me paying storage charges.

I get your point about chocolate, their's isnt a patch on ours is it? I didnt think you could take it though.

Following on from Moa's query, I suppose it depends if you want to spend time when you first arrive, hunting for kettles and toasters etc. I would say take (and an adaptor) so you can have a cuppa when you arrive.

Veronica

Hi Herbie

I had been thinking of getting a quote for sending some essential stuff over separately from the main household stuff. Like the dog crate, leads, bowls, pillows, ELECTRIC BLANKET, winter woollies. I wont need the rest until I buy somewhere, which might take a couple of months, so it can take longer to get there for all I care, rather than me paying storage charges...I get your point about chocolate, their's isnt a patch on ours is it? I didnt think you could take it though...Following on from Moa's query, I suppose it depends if you want to spend time when you first arrive, hunting for kettles and toasters etc. I would say take (and an adaptor) so you can have a cuppa when you arrive...Veronica

Hya:

Exactly! When we came out for a reccie, the first place we stayed in had a microwave & small fridge, but NO coat-hangers or teaspoons! Other places had no kettles/coffee maker or china cups, & beds like iron (ok we're on a budget, but these were usually rated 3*)... My advice would be to think carefully & plan as far ahead as possible... Once you've decided to ship everything out, are you going as soon as, or are you going to take 4/6 weeks seeing the rellies & The Sights you've been meaning to see all your Life?? There's quite a lot to be said for staying with friends & family for as long as poss, if only to save essential $$ & they'll be happy to have you knowing you'll be going For Sure!

It has to HELP big time, if you have family in Oz that you can borrow all the essentials from - bedding, cutlery, pots & pans, etc., as it is, your store cupboard will be empty & you'll spend ages & $$ restocking that with condiments, canned goods, cereals, etc., etc..

Actually it's a misunderstanding that you can't bring in Chocies, biscuits, etc.. They HATE anything RAW, FRESH or SEEDY, so nothing high in eggs or honey, & dead kippers, popcorn, spices, side of beef are def NO-NO'S!! But I declared crisps... Goodbye Seabrooks... the only ones I truly like! (Smiths crinkles are similar, but no cigar!) Ricolas, ibuprofen, paracetamol, (as medications) Germolene, Twix's, Tic Tacs, Kit Kats, as a test really - declaring it all, including my down pillow... For ease, I packed everything I wanted to declare in one suitcase, that was easily opened & all my declared items were together, so I could show the officer with minimal fuss. He was happy & agreed that there is a lot of confusion as to whether something is actually FOOD, but he SAID: if in doubt declare it. ALSO, I think they rather like it if you keep things in their original packaging, so they can weigh it on their magic scales & see that it seems right! Unfortunately your pooch mightn't fare so well as trotters, hooves & rawhide chews are verbotten! However, you might be able to bring in their fav dried & canned food, if you go to the Auzzie Customs site. :err:

When packing up your container - or rather when looking for removalists, check with them if they allow you to ship canned goods, etc... some of them are NOT at all keen - more hassle this end when going thru' quarantine, & question yourself how it will travel 10 weeks+ on the High Seas??

Anyway gotta dash, we've found the water heater at last!!! :yes:

Cheers, The Herbmiester!

Archived