What to do with yourself when the packers are in?

Wales1

I didn't bring enough to need packers - but any time I've done a corporate move, I've basically hung around and made a nuisance of myself.

You'd be surprised how many of the top companies use casual staff to do the packing and they're not given any special training, just expected to use common sense. So I like to make sure they know what they're doing - and often they don't!

Also as others have said, if you're not packing everything in the whole house, then you need to be there to say, "no don't pack that!" or "you missed this", even if you think you've labelled everything clearly.

Finally perhaps I have too cynical a view of my fellow man, but I always think they're more likely to take care,, and there's less likely to be pilferage, if there's another pair of eyes on them. The supervisor can't be everywhere.

We would never leave the packers to it, I think you need to stay and supervise and also make the tea from time to time. Walk through the house, check everyone is ok, supervise the packing lists, answer questions, you might be best placed to advise on how a piece of furniture should be U assembled for example. It isn't as simple as "pack everything", do that and they will unscrew and pack light bulbs, dirty cleaning cloths and pan scrubs.

Also, keep handbags and passports well out of sight. They have been known to pack those too. We put anything that was not to be packed in the small bedroom and stuck a note on the door saying 'Don't pack anything from this room'

Archived