Will applying for a new passport while in the UK cancel my Oz visa?

Bridgeman

I have just been looking at passport renewal times for my UK passport and it states around 8 weeks. I really don't want to be without my passport for so long. My UK passport expires in April and I am thinking I might apply for a renewal at the Passport Office while on holiday in the UK next month.

My concern is that my visa is obviously tied to my current passport. I know the time still left on the current passport will be added to the new one but will the old one be cancelled and will this cause a problem with Oz immigration or will it be returned to me and can I still travel on it, ie will my visa still be valid so I can re-enter Australia?

No the visa won't be cancelled, British authorities have no power to cancel Auatralian visas and the Australian authorities won't know you applied for a new passport!

What you do need to do, is inform Australian immigration of the new passport details so that they can link the passport to it. If you don't get chance to do this before you travel back then carry old and new passports and change it when you get back.

Yes, thanks for that. My problem is that I will only be in the vicinity of Liverpool where I will renew my passport in person, towards the end of my holiday, so I won't have time for appointments with solicitors to certify copies etc and post to Australia before I leave so DIBP will not have any details of the new passport. I would do this immediately on my return to Australia - am just hoping they will let me in again!

Yes, thanks for that. My problem is that I will only be in the vicinity of Liverpool where I will renew my passport in person, towards the end of my holiday, so I won't have time for appointments with solicitors to certify copies etc and post to Australia before I leave so DIBP will not have any details of the new passport. I would do this immediately on my return to Australia - am just hoping they will let me in again!

then make sure you carry both passports and expect delays at check in and immigration.

Form 929 can be emailed or faxed, doesn't need to be posted.

Edited by Nemesis