Rotator Cuff Tear

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen
Yes, husband did his. Didn't take long from what I can remember. A month maybe?

Thanks Fi, what did he do to get it to heal quick. Rob did it during the move and it is just getting worse. It may not be helping with the other thing I told you about.

Thanks Fi, what did he do to get it to heal quick. Rob did it during the move and it is just getting worse. It may not be helping with the other thing I told you about.

He has a physical job so I think he just took it easy but made sure he kept it moving. Painkillers to avoid it being so stiff he couldn't bear to use it. Lack of use will make it worse.

Anyone damaged their rotator cuff? I just wondered how long they take to repair.

Ouch. Depends how bad it is. The main thing is not to lift anything - including shopping bags. You do need to do exercises but NOT weight-bearing ones.

I know men hate going to therapists but I'd really recommend he go to a physio. The pain will go away with rest and ice packs, but without the right exercises, it's quite likely to heal "tight" and he won't ever get the full range of motion back.

I'm told (on good authority) Kate, that the primary cause of this particular injury is over enthusiastic and vigorous sexual activity :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I did my rotator cuff and dislocated my clavicular a couple years back, and it took ages to heal (much more than a month if I recall)

Very little blood feeds the muscle, hence the reason for it taking so long to heal.

As mentioned above, keep it mobile once the first few weeks in a sling has passed. I had to majorly scale down any work I'd been doing in the gym, so was still lifting weights, but significantly less.

Resistance band workouts do wonders for the rotor muscles.

It will take different times depending on how bad you've torn it. I've just had surgery on mine as it would never repair on its own. I would definitely advise a trip to the phisio to find out how bad it is, could be rest, exercises or worst case surgery. Try not to lift anything over 1.5kg for a while and see how it is once the internal swelling has subsised if it is a recent injury.

Archived