Sim only deals for mobile phones in Australia

Captain Roberto

Hi

Does anyone have any tips for good value Sim Only deals in Australia?

We are paying for 3 x sims (Me, wife and daughter), so good value is pretty important (I only paid £10 a month in the UK)

I saw these 2:

Aldi & Vodaphone

The Vodaphone is a nicer package, but the Aldi one os better on price. Are there any others? Also wondering if coverage is god (for the Sydney area)

Thanks

Matthew

I've got an Amaysim SIM, which I picked up for 20 AUD I think, when I visited last year. Calls are PAYG and I purchase 1gb of data each month, which is 9.95 AUD. They run on the OPTUS network so are not as dodgy as they sound! Can't be bothered tying myself to a contract for the moment at least.

If i was you avoid payg with vodafone their reputation isn't as good here as in the uk. I managed to use $90 i. The first 7 days!! Over here its more about data than calls and texts so the more data you can get for your money, the better. I've always found optus prepaid sims very good value for money.

Get your mobiles unlocked in the UK before you travel. I am with Vodafone PAYG. Their $30 cap is good and their network issues from my experience are overplayed. If you are living in an urban centre they are great!

We used Amaysim PAYG SIMs and found them to be great value. You can pick up Amaysim SIMs for a couple of dollars at Coles and a number of other places - they're everywhere. When we first arrived in Australia we used Vodafone and it wasn't a good service or value.

The two main players seem to be Telstra and Optus. We pay $30 per month with 50% top ups being $5 only with Optus. They are fine for city living however are useless outside of the main cities. We are about to change to Telstra for this reason.

S

have you considered Three Feel At Home ? It covers Australia - calls, text and data. I think you can top up and get an add-on. I am not 100% sure that 1-2-3 charge would carry (it would be really cheap) - you would need to check with customer service.

All our mobiles are pay as you go with Telstra

The plan we use is called Simplicity

I pay $20 a month which lasts me about 3 weeks so I end up paying $30 but i make a lot of calls, texts and data usage

Pam, Becki and Luke have the same plan but they pay $30 each for 2 months and it lasts them fine

No coverage issues at all

I pay $25 for Jeenee Mobile. I get Loads of calls, Unlimited texts and 1.5gb data.

Vaya is the cheapest around but very iffy customer service

have you considered Three Feel At Home ? It covers Australia - calls, text and data. I think you can top up and get an add-on. I am not 100% sure that 1-2-3 charge would carry (it would be really cheap) - you would need to check with customer service.

Hi - yes, I'm with Three now (UK) - and it's good as a stop gap. I can use the data fine, so it's pretty handy so far. There have been two problems with this though:

1 - It's still on a UK number, so I have to change all Australian numbers to the international code version to use them here. This is a bit confusing, and it also means people have to dial international to call me here, even though in in Sydney now.

2 - I have a Three sim for me, and one for my daughter, and her sim hasn't picked up here, and is showing as 'no network'. No idea why!

so we just wanted to get a proper Aussie sim asap.

We got vodaphone $30 payg sim when we got here and my husband has carried on with it (I changed to a monthly plan as my iphone died and had to get a new phone). Anyway never had a problem with coverage and the unlimited data and international calls at the weekend is brilliant.

We use Virgin with a mix of contracts and PAYG (4 handsets in total). Works out well for the kids phones as on most of the Virgin PAYG plans you get free Virgin to Virgin calls and texts so there's no charge to keep in touch with the rest of the family.

I pay $25 for Jeenee Mobile. I get Loads of calls, Unlimited texts and 1.5gb data.

Vaya is the cheapest around but very iffy customer service

i've complained about vaya before, not the service so much as the customer service.

however recently when i've called they've answered in a reasonable time and been very helpful.

i guess there has been some investment going on!

optus on the cheap ;)

i've complained about vaya before, not the service so much as the customer service.

however recently when i've called they've answered in a reasonable time and been very helpful.

i guess there has been some investment going on!

optus on the cheap ;)

Yeah the deals are great. I was just one of the many who left in droves when they introduced that new "security deposit" out of nowhere. I may return one day, but at the moment Jeenee is an ok deal for me (Same 4G optus service)

There seems to be a trend of good (better) deals coming along from the main players, so might be some price drops

Optus Prepaid $30 Unlimited Calls and SMS, 1.5GB Data, Monthly Data Rollover up to 10GB

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/prepaid/plans

With a phone (yes I know op is sim only)

Optus Samsung S5 HTC One M8 or Xperia Z3 Compact $45 Unlimited Calls SMS 500MB Data

Telstra did a similar one if you were already on prepay (might have expired)

Telstra $45/Mth Unlimited Calls & Texts with 2GB Data Including Handsets (HTC One M8 or Samsung Galaxy S5)

Apparently telstra have another one starting if you already have a service

Telstra $40 Go Share Plan, Unl Calls/Sms, 1.1GB Data, Includes HTC One M8, Galaxy S5, iPhone 5C

The cheaper options are good (I use tpg), but things like roaming are a pain. You have to put $500 up front and wait months to get it back. Same as vaya I think and jeenee don't offer it. No big deal but can be a pain. My son had Voda which gave unlimited for $5 a day in UK (or paygo option as well)

Archived