The best time to move to the UK?

marenmatt1

My husband & I are planning on moving to the UK next year & I am just curious if there is a 'best' time to go? We have no kids so that's not a problem. I know over here that jobs are quite scarce from December to February & wasn't sure if it was similar in the UK? Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

For me the best time is when you are ready to go. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Currently it is pouring down here on the Sunny Coast, damp and miserable. The weather isn't a factor for me. Job wise I don't foresee the time of year being a factor. Just start looking when you are ready.

Depends what jobs you are going for. i.e. most of the decent teaching jobs for September will already be taken. Obviously, over Christmas you may find people take time off to be with family, so you run the risk of the decision makers being off.

Weather wise, if you are not used to the cold, I agree with the above and would suggest you go out in the spring, so you can go through the warmer UK weather and ease into the winter.

I don't think it matters really, unless as someone said you are teachers but I can't think of any other occupations that would have such seasonality. The UK doesn't tend to shut down for summer like Australia does. We came back in UK winter, I quite liked that, it provide nice contrast and we didn't find it too bad and knew that weather wise it would only get better too.

Weather wise, arrive in april and youve then got 6 months of good/ok weather ahead of you. Ease you in gently!

This is my plan - you will really appreciate the light, even if it's not warm, and of course May/June always beautiful in terms of flowers. When I last went to the UK (April 2013 to Sept), by Sept I was ready for cooler weather (it was a stonker of a summer!) but this never really came.... Didn't stop me fantasising about buying a lovely Autumn jacket, and wood fires, bonfire night and run up to Xmas......

Didn't stop me fantasising about buying a lovely Autumn jacket, and wood fires, bonfire night and run up to Xmas......

Oh dont......aside from family I just miss the variety in..everything. Weather, clothes, food, activites, scenary, flowers etc....

Thanks for the advice everyone :) We are debating between July to October & just was a little worried that the later we left it the harder it might be.

I would make the following thoughts-

Jobs,- we thought that there seems to be a flurry of recruitment after xmas with a slackening off in the summer, unless you are in a profession that has seasonal recruitment like teaching, lots of jobs now seem to be clustered around London and the SE.

Housing ,- lots of property comes on the market in April, May and the best property sells quickly and by Sept what is left is the dregs/overpriced

flights after xmas are cheaper

GOOD jobs are difficult to find, my opinion, and you may want to think about renting for a while whilst you check any job out before buying

Cars are more negotiable after xmas

really try to get your container on the high seas and almost due to be delivered, we found 18 months ago that it was easier to get an unfurnished rental than a short term furnished one and spent 2 months hopping from one holiday let to another, if you come back during the University holdays you can pick up furnished uni lets at reasonable rents, try to stay with friends in oz and then give yourself 4 weeks to get somewhere to rent on a 6 month tenancy, be prepared for the rental to cost you at least 3 months rent deposit plus a month upfront because you will not have a UK address or references

I work in IT and find April, September & January are the busiest months recruitment wise and I would suspect this holds true for a lot of business roles. April because it is the start of the financial year, September because there is a backlog after the holidays and January because it's the start of the calendar year & in some cases the company year.

We came back mid-July, I started looking for work 28th August and started on 24th September. The weather was amazing that year (2013) and it was a wonderful start to our new life.

I would say around April, it gives you 6-8 months of decent weather. Having said that winters haven't exactly been bad the last few years. I'm not sure there is really a better time overall but Spring or Summer does give you a chance to acclimatise.

Thanks for all the advice back to democracy. We are lucky enough to be able to stay with family when we first go over :) Just a bit difficult on this side as once our lease ends we will still have a couple of wks before we go. Finding a cat friendly place to stay for 2 wks is more difficult then it sounds :/

If i had a choice i would go in the autumn season, so you can look foward to the festive season,halloween,bonfire night,the run up to xmas,late night shopping and new years.its so cosy,and lovely around that time...

Does anyone know the rules for living in the UK on a European passport either? Am finding it hard to get a straight answer on how I go about getting a job or whether I'll be able to become a resident or citizen at some point?

Does anyone know the rules for living in the UK on a European passport either? Am finding it hard to get a straight answer on how I go about getting a job or whether I'll be able to become a resident or citizen at some point?

An EU passport currently allows you to live and work in the UK without restriction so you go about getting a job just like anyone else.

After you have lived there 5 years

https://www.gov.uk/eea-registration-certificate (scroll to the bottom)

And can also apply for citizenship after 5 years - info is on the same website.

The complication occurs if the UK leaves the EU or negotiates a deal to control EU migration.

There are a lot of non-EU migrants who may be deported as a minimum wage is being brought in & if UK was to leave the EU then that would apply.

Guest Guest109139
Thanks Lady Rainicorn. Unfortunately another thing to worry about :(

I doubt the UK will leave the EU any time soon, IMO

Archived