Teacher jobs in auss

Gemma

I have a teaching post for September so will be teaching alongside my masters. How hard is finding a teaching post?

Thanks

You need the supervised teaching as part of your degree....teaching experience as itself is not sufficient. We have had teachers who have been working for 10 years+ in schools but because their intial degree did not include the 45 days + of supervised teaching in schools, they are not considered qualified to teach in Australia

Very remote indigenous communities really are very remote - rainy season you can often only access them via plane. Definitely not commutable but even if they were, it's important that teachers live in the community because living elsewhere can create a sense of division. There are bigger town though which you would probably want as your eldest would need to go to a high school. You may be one of the only non-indigenous people in the town and indigenous towns can have a fair amount of social problems (for example, most are 'dry', as in alcohol is banned for everyone living in the community). It may well be quite isolating especially for your eldest. However, some of the bigger towns have mining families as well. You have to be very committed to this kind of work and it is not easy. I dont know if they sponsor applicants for primary teaching or not, but here is the website http://www.teaching.nt.gov.au/remote/

As I said there are easier options that are small rural towns but not 'very remote' which might suit you better as there would be more cultural familiarity for your kids. They are still very cut off from everywhere, no way you can commute. Think remote Scottish island with a small community (but sunshine) and then add several more hours onto the journey to the nearest town and you come close. No idea if these places sponsor teachers.

I have been in a lot of very remote communities - some aboriginal and some not. I am writing from the township of Norseman in WA at the moment. Norseman is one of the better regional communities. It is 750km from Perth, so not too remote. But certainly not commute distance. However, even here, it would take a special person to move from the UK to set up here and want to stay. We have a main street, but, it only has about 5 shops. A small (very expensive) supermarket, a newspaper shop, a hardware shop, a café and pub / bottle shop (off license). That is actually a lot by many standards. The houses are all tiny and made from fibro. So, think something along the lines of a garden shed.

The surrounding area is desert. Though winter, like now is cold and can be pretty wet - it was actually slightly sleeting when I left for work at 5am. Summer is blistering heat.

The really remote places, particularly some of the aboriginal communities can be pretty atrocious to live in with conditions worse than I have seen in places such as Democratic Republic of Congo. This one is sadly not unusual http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/children-swam-in-sewage-ponds/story-e6frg13u-1226117647023?nk=143e96b868478944a29904d9595475e7-1434961574

There are many social issues with these towns including mass alcoholism, substance abuse (you can not buy petrol any more in many in an attempt to stop people sniffing it. Children have major issues with health and generally just a huge bag of problems.

Going to teach in these areas is more than just challenging!

No I get that it's not an area/ communities I mean are those kind of areas suitable for families to live etc or would it be best to aim towards more major towns etc

Hmm, I'm not sure that you get the concept of remote in Aus! If it's a major town then you will struggle to get a job. There are jobs in the places that people don't want to live and I most certainly wouldn't be taking a 12 yr old English kid to many of the remote settlements.

I have been in a lot of very remote communities - some aboriginal and some not. I am writing from the township of Norseman in WA at the moment. Norseman is one of the better regional communities. It is 750km from Perth, so not too remote. But certainly not commute distance. However, even here, it would take a special person to move from the UK to set up here and want to stay. We have a main street, but, it only has about 5 shops. A small (very expensive) supermarket, a newspaper shop, a hardware shop, a café and pub / bottle shop (off license). That is actually a lot by many standards. The houses are all tiny and made from fibro. So, think something along the lines of a garden shed.

The surrounding area is desert. Though winter, like now is cold and can be pretty wet - it was actually slightly sleeting when I left for work at 5am. Summer is blistering heat.

The really remote places, particularly some of the aboriginal communities can be pretty atrocious to live in with conditions worse than I have seen in places such as Democratic Republic of Congo. This one is sadly not unusual http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/children-swam-in-sewage-ponds/story-e6frg13u-1226117647023?nk=143e96b868478944a29904d9595475e7-1434961574

There are many social issues with these towns including mass alcoholism, substance abuse (you can not buy petrol any more in many in an attempt to stop people sniffing it. Children have major issues with health and generally just a huge bag of problems.

Going to teach in these areas is more than just challenging!

Yes the only reason we were considering remote service teaching is because we have lived with indigenous communities in remote Congo basin so understand the emotional and practical issues. I love this kind of work but even then we have decided to wait until our kids have left home (a looong time from now) and then reconsider as we didn't feel it was right for the kids. Having said that, there is a good blog I read from someone who did remote service teaching with young kids that I'll see if I can find, it will give you an idea of what it might be like.

Places that are not so remote and are actually nice places to live (especially for kids) probably dont have a problem recruiting primary teachers.

Thanks for the advice everybody I'm starting to get a much clearer picture now! I really do love the idea of the job and the rewards offered are emense however I'm not sure suitable for my son! Perhaps I could do extra training that would make me more employable in the larger towns. I would really like to read that blog if you can find it!

Thanks for the advice everybody I'm starting to get a much clearer picture now! I really do love the idea of the job and the rewards offered are emense however I'm not sure suitable for my son! Perhaps I could do extra training that would make me more employable in the larger towns. I would really like to read that blog if you can find it!

The rewards may be immense, but you should only really consider something like that once you are actually here. Very few people have a true idea what remote actually means and the challenges it produces.

Here's the blog, it's written by the wife of a teacher while they were living in Arnhem land. You'd definitely want to visit before living there - it takes a certain kind of person to live in these communities. https://remoteareamum.wordpress.com/

I'm not sure what you can do to get a visa, I have no idea if remote schools would even sponsor someone, I dont really see why they would, especially if you have no experience in remote communities (but I could be wrong). There is a teachers thread somewhere that you might find helpful.

Thank you! I've read somewhere that they would sponsor you but I've read that much recently I've probably read it wrong! I am really drawn to the job but like you say I will be visiting auss before making any decisions about where to live! We plan on coming over for the summer next year to get an idea of everything!

I expect you'll find remote indigenous teaching isn't something you can/want to do now, but still you might find this other blog interesting which will give you a sense of the politics and challenges of indigenous teaching. It's written by the teacher husband of the blog I posted above (the wife's blog is more about the challenges of life there, this is specifically about the teaching). https://jarvisryan.wordpress.com/

Archived