Partner visa query

juliew1499

Hi

does anyone know if IMMI will wait for the official registry officemarriage certificate, eg accept the certificate of marriage issued on the day with the formal registry office certificate to follow. Victoria registry office take quite some time to process marriage certifiCates up to 3 months sometimes and they would rather get the partner application in sooner than later. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Hi

does anyone know if IMMI will wait for the official registry officemarriage certificate, eg accept the certificate of marriage issued on the day with the formal registry office certificate to follow. Victoria registry office take quite some time to process marriage certifiCates up to 3 months sometimes and they would rather get the partner application in sooner than later. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Foe which visa? If its for a spouse visa they have always said rhey want the registry office certificate not the one issued by the celebrant on the day.However i see you are going for a CPV, that may be different as its not a 'new' marriage

Foe which visa? If its for a spouse visa they have always said rhey want the registry office certificate not the one issued by the celebrant on the day.However i see you are going for a CPV, that may be different as its not a 'new' marriage

This is for my daughter, she has PR and about to become a citizen. She gets married on 2nd July to her Colombian partner. They will be applying for a partner visa on shore, just wanted to know if they could submit the application and send in the marriage certificate later, otherwise they will have to wait a further 3 months before they can start the process when the official certificate comes thro

This is for my daughter, she has PR and about to become a citizen. She gets married on 2nd July to her Colombian partner. They will be applying for a partner visa on shore, just wanted to know if they could submit the application and send in the marriage certificate later, otherwise they will have to wait a further 3 months before they can start the process when the official certificate comes thro

Well the Partner Visa Booklet does say you have to supply the official one from the Registry, I guess they might be able to submit the one from the ceremony, with proof that they have applied for the other one? Then submit the other one later. Perhaps one of the agents can say if that would be ok?

I'm surprised it takes that long, I think Brisbane o ly takes a week or so, from memory.

Hi

newly married couples registering thro Victoria currently takes 55 working days from the date the celebrant lodges the application, plus postal delays .........they are currently processing application from 26th March. Seems silly that it takes so long.

Hi

thanks for your replies, they know about the de facto route but they want to get married. They also understand the rules about time together shared expenses etc. it's just a simple matter of knowing if they have to wait for the official marriage certificate or can they submit now with the marriage certificate to follow. I really don't know why these certificates should take so long.

Julie

Hi

thanks for your replies, they know about the de facto route but they want to get married. They also understand the rules about time together shared expenses etc. it's just a simple matter of knowing if they have to wait for the official marriage certificate or can they submit now with the marriage certificate to follow. I really don't know why these certificates should take so long.

Julie

Nope, I don't know either. Thats crazy! I would be tempted to upload the thng from the ceremony, and the receipt showing the certificate is applied for. With the waiting times it'll arrive long before they are ready to grant the visa.

Hi

Julie

The point Rammygirl is making is that if they have been together as defacto for a year then for the application it doesn't matter whether they are married or not. It is the same application with the same forms and the visa you get is basically the same visa. All the marriage certificate does is exempt them from the 12 month relationship requirement. If they have that 12 months then they don't need to wait for the official marriage certificate if they don't have the 12 months then they need the certificate.

The Victorian marriage certificate shouldn't take 3 months. If the celebrant sends off the paperwork straight away then the certificate should be available within 2 weeks despite what they say. You can get one printed while you wait at the Births Deaths Marriages office on Collins Street provided you bring the correct and copious ID with you. From memory it takes about an hour of waiting for your number to be called, so bring a book.

Archived