Please help, the biggest decision of my life!

rkdowner

RKdowner, sorry i didn't read your post properly and answered in very generic way., if your husband is a self employed plumber you really need to investigate very closely what the state requirements are to be a self employed plumber /any tradesman, his uk quals will get him a plumbers job ( possibly) but i know in Qld you have to have Qld quals and experience to be self employed, it was like that in 09 when i chatted to a uk plumber who had got caught out exactly like that and had resorted to buying and renovating property to sell on to get by.

You have to remember that everyone has a vested interest in the immigration game and agents just want to get your fee in their account and won't warn you of the pitfalls.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is really tricky and to be honest I don't think the decision gets easier even nearly two years in to the process! ( we waiting to hear any day now). We have travelled, lived and worked in Australia and even then I do have conversations with myself quite a lot regarding taking my son away from family. We have a three year old and my family adore him. Half our family are in England (mine) and my husbands are all in South Africa and although we miss them a lot we Skype every week and visit once a year for quality time, and we fly my mother in law over too to stay with us. We have always saved and spent any extra money on seeing family...I know it's more expensive flying with two children though so that will be more complicated. Being on the other side of the world is difficult, especially when you are worried about anyone. My mum had a health scare when we were in Australia and I didn't cope with that very well as I have always been the one that helps and organises if there's a family problem. But in my heart I honestly was happier in Australia. I made some great friends that welcomed us into their lives and became extended family. There will always be "debates" on here as to which country is better/ most promising future etc and it's all very subjective, EVERYONE had a different experience and opinion and I just believe you have to follow your gut instinct as all to often that will be right!

if it's telling you to stay then stay and make peace with it, the what ifs are natural but not at all helpful! The way I see it is you get one go at life, cheesy but so very true and something we all too aware of... You can spend years planning for your future and things can change so quickly that you wish you had taken life by the balls and just gone for it!! People will argue that this isn't a very responsible attitude, but you can always come back if it doesn't work out, yes it's money wasted and more change for your children but if they are loved and with you then I don't suppose they will care too much! You are lucky in that you both have great career prospects and there will always be work for you with the right outlook and attitude. I have travelled with my husbands job since our son was born and he is a very secure, confident and kind little soul. He loves being with his family but also has had such adventures and experiences that I cannot put a price on.

In Australia he camped with kaolas and kangaroos, learnt to fish, swam with dolphins out at sea, bbq'd in the outback, and was outside most days A Lot of the time in the fresh air and he was sooooo so happy, eating fresh fruit and vegetables. I'm not saying at all that children in the uk have less of an outdoor life but in our case only now has the weather started to be such that we hav wanted to get out in it! (Still abit too chilly to get in the sea or camp- we could but not just yet thanks!) and we live in Cornwall which is such a beautiful part of the uk. We have lots of friend a that have emigrated all over oz and in their opinions their children are Definately happier and they don't regret a thing, but again that is just their experience. There are positives and negatives and everyone's again will be different, we are going because I know if we don't we will always be thinking what if... My heart saying go for it and my brain saying we will work it out because we always do... All too often in my job I see people regretting what they didn't do and not often what they did. We have both just landed great jobs here but again we still going for it! Jobs are precious I know but you know what we still going for it!!! No one can make your decision but you but as you asked this is just out way of thinking!.. Goodness I could ramble on so much more but I'll spare you, but I do wish you the best of luck in your decision and know we have all Been there!! X

I noticed you wrote this a year ago and wondered your views a year on. My husband and I are considering the move. He has a job lined up with a sponsor. We have a 7&3 year old and we would like to have more outdoors life of a weekend. I was

Hoping they would get a better quality of life being outdoors more. I am

Hoping as a family we can live fuller lives and in the uk I feel we are cooped up much of the year. My husband and I see our families 4/5 times a year even though they are only

1.5 hours away so we don't rely on them too much. My husband and I agree to try and give the move 2 years and so many people

Say they don't look back. We won't know a single person though so we have to choose where we live carefully I feel and talk to people as much as possible. Some of the threads have taken the light out of my fire a bit, I read a bit 50/50 that it's sociable for families and lots of integration but now I'm feeling worried about applying for our visas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Kelly,

Wow its strange rereading what i wrote and thinking about what has happened since...Only last night my husband and i were saying we cant believe we pulled it off!

I really am still in the go for it camp but obviously everyones case is different and theres lots of pros and cons and thats what you will find on here- everyone has had their own experience. We moved over when I was 27 weeks pregnant and I now have a ten week old! Im sat in my car feeding her just about to go for a walk on the beach as my son in kindy- which he loves! I personally hate being cold and couldnt stand English winters... its 14 degrees here today and im in my flip flops mid winter!

We both left really good jobs to come out here with not a huge amount of money behind us... a huge gamble and so much stress and worry. I did an awful lot of soul searching and praying that we would be ok and we are just now feeling like we are home as there is no way i would want to come back. It was tough for my husband to find a job but if you are a hard worker you will go far here and his pay was increased three times in two weeks.. he has gone from being a foreman to working as a skilled labourer for an agency but still earns more than he did in the uk. We are on the central coast and he commutes into Sydney at the moment.. but we have amazing weekends together and are always off outside... when it does rain i actually love the excuse to stay in and be cosy!

I could write for ages but i think you really need to go with your gut feeling and believe in yourselves.. but its not easy and will take a lot of hard work, but practical advice always available on here and i found everyone so helpful. If you have any specific questions i will of course help.. we dont have anyone here either but i have already made friends and i have found most people to be so so friendly and helpful and laid back and it really is infectious. Theres negative bits, but the positives for me far outweigh those. My four year old keeps asking me to check we are staying here as he loves it so much. He has a fantastic kindy, then does swimming (with hot showers!) and a sports club on other days and has made lots of friends, all the mums make an effort to chat to me and made us feel so welcome.

On a practical note i would recommend a migration agentbthat knows their stuff as it is such a complicated process, mine was wonderful if you need a contact. They areenpaid to do the worrying for you... i cant believe how stressed i got myself and if thats one thing i could tell myself a year ago..I it would be to just make the most of experience as a good migration agent wont take you on unless they are confident you will be successful.

I skype a lot and my mum has visited already and gone off for a bit before coming back for august. I am concentrating on our little family now. It was so hard leaving family and friends but i always knew i was doing it for my childrens future and my son is so happy here.. as are we all. Its of coursedifficult with no family help but i managed to give birth out here and move house and have a sick baby all at the same time and we did it!! Have to go now as baby getting fed up. Keep us updated! X

Hi Kelly,

Wow its strange rereading what i wrote and thinking about what has happened since...Only last night my husband and i were saying we cant believe we pulled it off!

I really am still in the go for it camp but obviously everyones case is different and theres lots of pros and cons and thats what you will find on here- everyone has had their own experience. We moved over when I was 27 weeks pregnant and I now have a ten week old! Im sat in my car feeding her just about to go for a walk on the beach as my son in kindy- which he loves! I personally hate being cold and couldnt stand English winters... its 14 degrees here today and im in my flip flops mid winter!

We both left really good jobs to come out here with not a huge amount of money behind us... a huge gamble and so much stress and worry. I did an awful lot of soul searching and praying that we would be ok and we are just now feeling like we are home as there is no way i would want to come back. It was tough for my husband to find a job but if you are a hard worker you will go far here and his pay was increased three times in two weeks.. he has gone from being a foreman to working as a skilled labourer for an agency but still earns more than he did in the uk. We are on the central coast and he commutes into Sydney at the moment.. but we have amazing weekends together and are always off outside... when it does rain i actually love the excuse to stay in and be cosy!

I could write for ages but i think you really need to go with your gut feeling and believe in yourselves.. but its not easy and will take a lot of hard work, but practical advice always available on here and i found everyone so helpful. If you have any specific questions i will of course help.. we dont have anyone here either but i have already made friends and i have found most people to be so so friendly and helpful and laid back and it really is infectious. Theres negative bits, but the positives for me far outweigh those. My four year old keeps asking me to check we are staying here as he loves it so much. He has a fantastic kindy, then does swimming (with hot showers!) and a sports club on other days and has made lots of friends, all the mums make an effort to chat to me and made us feel so welcome.

On a practical note i would recommend a migration agentbthat knows their stuff as it is such a complicated process, mine was wonderful if you need a contact. They areenpaid to do the worrying for you... i cant believe how stressed i got myself and if thats one thing i could tell myself a year ago..I it would be to just make the most of experience as a good migration agent wont take you on unless they are confident you will be successful.

I skype a lot and my mum has visited already and gone off for a bit before coming back for august. I am concentrating on our little family now. It was so hard leaving family and friends but i always knew i was doing it for my childrens future and my son is so happy here.. as are we all. Its of coursedifficult with no family help but i managed to give birth out here and move house and have a sick baby all at the same time and we did it!! Have to go now as baby getting fed up. Keep us updated! X

What a lovely upbeat post!! :smile:

I realise this is an old thread... but FWIW: Best decision of my life coming to Aus, just wish I could have done it many many years ago

Maybe my timing now is actually better and it worked out best for me, as I have a  stunning home (I mean: Stunning!) my kids and I spend an awful lot more time together doing a lot more fun things, I have a great job and my Work:Life balance is stellar.

The point I'd like to make sure to drive home to anyone who cares to listen, is that advice on the internet is a very dangerous thing, as it doesn't come with context a lot of the time. By that I mean that there are a lot of positive and a lot of negative posts on this forum about Aus - but you (any poster) don't know the person who is making the statements / claims.

It's therefore up to you, to try and figure from those posts, if you fall within the same demographic / similar circumstances as the person providing the feedback.

Personally, I realised that I actually have very little in common with a lot of people who post regularly on this forum, particularly the "bad feedback" crowd ... which in turn really only fueled my fire to get over here.

(I hope the above ramble makes sense :P )

There doesnt ever seem to be a shortage of those! Mine was in reply to asking my views a year on. There are plenty of negative bits but i left them because you have to celebrate the positives and make your lemonade... I do think if you decide to go for it you have to be 100 per cent aware that it is going to be a huge challenge and a strain on every part of you and it has been the upbeat posts sometimes that have got me through!

Archived