Stopover??

Guest51810

Just get a flight to Bangkok (or KL/Singapore/wherever) from Scotland and then a budget airline from Asia.

Do consider flying from London too - you can get there for easily under £50 and could save you a lot more. Totally recommend Sri Lankan airlines from Heathrow to KL and then Air Asia from there.

That's what I was doing. Etihad flight to Bangkok and then air asia to australia. I couldn't find anything cheap other than thailand but to be fair I didn't look very long.

£270 from london with jet airways (not heard of them) or £320 with etihad from edinburgh. So I wouldn't really be saving anything from london

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ScottishStacey

I definitely wouldn't recommend Phuket ... we were there three years ago and I was so disappointed because although the scenery is incredibly beautiful it was so spoiled with litter and long rows of tourist accommodation / restaurants, electric cables draped along the main roadways like spaghetti ... not to mention the quality of the (still cheap) food. We found the street food great but anything resembling a sit down meal was grim - I came back with food poisoning. Also I found the extra flight a real drag ... waiting for an hour or so for the flight, then an hour or so in the air, then an hour in an airport bus ... the heat was enormous and I felt absolutely crap by the time we arrived. Try Hua Hin which you can reach by minibus / taxi in about three hours.

If you want a beach as well, then i recomend Hua Hin. It is only a short drive from Bangkok and is less touristy than the big destinations, but has enough to keep you entertained - it is the place Thai people tend to go on holiday (including the Thai Royal family)

Do you think it would be worth trying to spend some time in Phuket too or just stick to 3 nights in Bangkok and then Australia. The flights between Bangkok and Phuket are around £20

Never a fan of Phuket. So no. Plenty of far nicer islands to visit. Although as I expect you have it in your head for just a few days stop over, I doubt anywhere outside of Bangkok you will not do justice. Stay in Bangkok as plenty to keep you entertained for four or so days.

Hmm.. A lot to think about. I said I wanted a nice beach area, that's more my kind of thing than crazy places lol but someone pointed out that I'll end up sick of beaches in australia :laugh: I want to see some temples etc. Much more interested in the real thailand rather than just the drinking etc. even if I was staying for a month I wouldn't go to that full moon party

Haha im such a loner, most of these girls have booked that package thing and they were trying to get me to book. Most people would say alright then but I'm too much of a cheapo so I'll just do my own thing

i wouldn't bother with those meeting things my friend did them and to be honest you can get any information you need either online or on here. They charge a fair amount for these start up meetings too.

On on stop over if you can afford it then go for it, you could just do a few days which will help with the jet lag and on your way back stay for an longer stay if you have funds :-) for beach areas in Thailand also vote don't do Phuket but do less touristy places as mentioned.

Enjoy

i wouldn't bother with those meeting things my friend did them and to be honest you can get any information you need either online or on here. They charge a fair amount for these start up meetings too.

On on stop over if you can afford it then go for it, you could just do a few days which will help with the jet lag and on your way back stay for an longer stay if you have funds :-) for beach areas in Thailand also vote don't do Phuket but do less touristy places as mentioned.

Enjoy

Yeah it's £500 for that group thing. I just feel like I'm the only one out the group im talking to who isn't doing it lol. There's like 6 who are doing it but I can always meet them after.

I'm still trying to work out wether I should even do it financially although I suppose another £100 at the most on top of what Id have paid for the flight won't bankrupt me haha. The flight straight to australia is £550 and the flight via Thailand is £427. It's not about savings because that's not even much, just wondered if it was worthwhile