Bridging Visa WA / 010 entitlements

Christopher Grigg

Hello all,

I have quite a complicated situation where I am now on a Bridging visa WA waiting for a permanent residency application.

I have got a job as an IT contractor happy days. On my bridging visa notification doc it says "Permission to work - When your Bridging visa (class WA) is in effect, you will have full permission to work.".

Does this mean I have the same work rights as if I had a permanent resident visa? Or can I start my own company on this bridging visa (an IT contractor would typically start their own company of one in the UK)?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Never heard of a bridging visa "WA" before! Are you sure it isn't bridging visa A? What visa were you on and when did it expire? Just checking as people often think they are on BVA before it has actually kicked in.

It typically depends on which visa you've applied for. If it's a partner visa, then the bridging visa automatically comes with work rights. For other visas, you typically need to comply with the conditions of the original visa. If your bridging visa doesn't have a condition limiting your ability to work (e.g. 8101, 8102, etc.) you would be able to work. Make sure to check the conditions closely.

Thanks for the response MaggieMay24 I have the answer from another source. In my situation, because I had applied onshore I have full work rights and can even start my own company etc. I'm guessing this is because my last visa was a tourist visa and I'm hoping to move on to permanent resident visa.

Thanks for the response MaggieMay24 I have the answer from another source. In my situation, because I had applied onshore I have full work rights and can even start my own company etc. I'm guessing this is because my last visa was a tourist visa and I'm hoping to move on to permanent resident visa.

Which permanent resident visa? There are lots, it is usual to get full working rights with an application to a partner visa, not so much any others though so it would be interesting and useful to know (for others).

I am not sure you have necessarily been told correct info there. The main part which sticks out is 'because I applied onshore I have full work rights'. Nobody can get a bridging visa of any type unless they applied onshore.

As had been said, not many visas let you have full work rights when you started on a tourist visa. It all comes down to which visa you applied for. For example, if you applied for an employer sponsored visa. No. Skilled independant visa. No. State sponsored visa. No.

That was a misunderstanding from me stating I have a Bridging Visa by applying onshore, I wasn't aware that's the only way you get a Bridging Visa.

To answer your question Bungo, I was on a 3 month tourist visitor I think "e-visitor". I have now moved onto this Bridging Visa A (WA) where it states I have full work rights. I applied for a Skilled Independent Visa 189 and my partner is on the application as de-facto.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi my son was was origionally on a working holiday visa and then went on to the same BVA WA as yourself after apply for 835 Remaining relative visa, but he held the same working conditions as his WHV. He had to apply for unrestricted working conditions.mthankgod he was granted them today.

That was a misunderstanding from me stating I have a Bridging Visa by applying onshore, I wasn't aware that's the only way you get a Bridging Visa.

To answer your question Bungo, I was on a 3 month tourist visitor I think "e-visitor". I have now moved onto this Bridging Visa A (WA) where it states I have full work rights. I applied for a Skilled Independent Visa 189 and my partner is on the application as de-facto.

That's correct, you will have no work restrictions once the BVA comes into effect. Be mindful that it will not "come into effect" until your current visa expires.

You're lucky then because typically the bridging visa from visitor visa to 189 would require you to maintain the same conditions as your visitor visa, so no work rights.

I would say a mistake has been made there. If I were you I would be looking for clarification as that isn't a situation which you could normally work in.

Onshore 189 applications receive a Bridging Visa with NIL conditions. The rules in this regard changed a while ago.

• 2 months later...
Hi,

I am on Bridging visa class WA and subclass 010 for application of Skilled Independent visa class SI and subclass 189. Can any one inform about entitlements of this bridging visa i.e Family tax Benefit, Medicare, child care etc.

Hi, I don't think you are entitled to child care unless you are a permanent resident and I've not heard of tax benefit here in Australia only the UK but I may be wrong. As for Medicare my son is on the BVA visa he is entitled to Medi Care being from the UK but it does not cover things like blood tests and scans unless you are PR so I would take out medical insurance if it's just a general visit to the doctor your covered but anything more serious you will be billed. Also dentists are not covered at all they are all private practices and not cheap well,at least her in NSW they are. Hope this bit of info helps.

Debbs

Hi, I don't think you are entitled to child care unless you are a permanent resident and I've not heard of tax benefit here in Australia only the UK but I may be wrong. As for Medicare my son is on the BVA visa he is entitled to Medi Care being from the UK but it does not cover things like blood tests and scans unless you are PR so I would take out medical insurance if it's just a general visit to the doctor your covered but anything more serious you will be billed. Also dentists are not covered at all they are all private practices and not cheap well,at least her in NSW they are. Hope this bit of info helps.

Debbs

Recipricol Medicare cards do cover scans and blood tests as long as they are not elective. I had numerous in my 5 years on that card (including 1.5 years on a bridging visa). My husband had an x Ray which wasn't covered, but that wouldn't have been covered on a full Medicare card either as he asked for it for his own piece of mind.

And as above no child care of family tax benefits unless you hold a permanent visa.