Turning back boats, the new normal?

Harpodom

do you agree with 'turning back' asylum seeker boats?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. do you agree with 'turning back' asylum seeker boats?

• Yes, I'd actually go further than that.
    • Yes
    • No, it's morally repugnant.
    • I don't care, so long as they don't bother me with their problems

Never their fault though. It's because of where they grew up, lack of parental supervision, no jobs, feeling of being outsiders, being picked on by the cops, living in a bad area. If you're a defence lawyer use any one of those and it should get them off.:wink:

Witnessed it first hand many times exactly as you said ,they want to bring their culture to where they are living and not intergrate into the country that has held out a olive branch to give them a new chance.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think there's every chance, even if done on a case by case basis that people from those countries would be turned back. It's not because of where they came from though. It's because they either pose a threat to Australia's security, or aren't really refugees.

The Somali's have already started causing trouble in Perth. There's been cases of them walking roud the City in gangs, attacking people and claiming it as their "turf". I suppose they thought they could get away with it but they actually caught a few and did something about it. They don't exactly make themselves welcome do they?

Somali youths .. yes there are isolated incidents with them... its a problem...they want to be lkke a gang...There are also isolated incidents with Bikie gangs... and other gangs... Hammerskins a supremist gang of violence..... These are not from refugee groups... at least im not aware

So some Somali youths take to gangs..

Are we to conclude Somali refugees are pre destined to cause social problems via gangs?

Witnessed it first hand many times exactly as you said ,they want to bring their culture to where they are living and not intergrate into the country that has held out a olive branch to give them a new chance.

And Poms who are the most similar just blend in do they? Do a little research and discover the skin head fashions introduced in the 60's and beyond to areas UK working class settled and other excesses. Not entirely popular in certain hoods I gather with adaptability issues.

Never their fault though. It's because of where they grew up, lack of parental supervision, no jobs, feeling of being outsiders, being picked on by the cops, living in a bad area. If you're a defence lawyer use any one of those and it should get them off.:wink:

Gujarati's inflicting their way of life and culture not to say language in your kids school in the Midlands I expect, wouldn't trust Vietnamese here in OZ as far as you could throw them, now Somali gangs in Perth causing grief. I really wonder if you are in the right country? You refer to a WA community of 1,045 people as of 2011 census. They must be some dudes to create such mayhem.

What you witnessed I expect was a reflection of the behaviour of society in that locality. Why would immigrate kids behave any different to how they find their surroundings? Fact being of course many excel and are among the top students equally.

Somali youths .. yes there are isolated incidents with them... its a problem...they want to be lkke a gang...There are also isolated incidents with Bikie gangs... and other gangs... Hammerskins a supremist gang of violence..... These are not from refugee groups... at least im not aware

So some Somali youths take to gangs..

Are we to conclude Somali refugees are pre destined to cause social problems via gangs?

Well you would have to do a bit better study than we have on here but in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised.

I think there's every chance, even if done on a case by case basis that people from those countries would be turned back. It's not because of where they came from though. It's because they either pose a threat to Australia's security, or aren't really refugees.

The Somali's have already started causing trouble in Perth. There's been cases of them walking roud the City in gangs, attacking people and claiming it as their "turf". I suppose they thought they could get away with it but they actually caught a few and did something about it. They don't exactly make themselves welcome do they?

If they pose a threat or are not in need of asylum they will be retuned. The Somali incidents have been well published and no in general the 1,045 are not causing problems any more than youth in similar situations across the race divide.

And Poms who are the most similar just blend in do they? Do a little research and discover the skin head fashions introduced in the 60's and beyond to areas UK working class settled and other excesses. Not entirely popular in certain hoods I gather with adaptability issues.

Did the skin head fashion get over to Aus flag? Might have just been a fashion thing if it did though and not the bovver boys. My Mum was in a German twinning club and had her German friends come stay with us. They brought their nephew, about my age with them. We were walking through Chesterfield when we saw a bunch of skinheads. Our German friend went pale and ran off. We ran after him and asked waht was wrong. Apparently, in Germany, you saw people dressed like that and they were Nazi supporters who were more than likely to attack you. Once I explained it wasn't like that in the UK, they just did it for a bit of bravado and liked to have a punchup with mods every now and then. I actually knew a couple of the skinheads who passed the time of day.

Different fashions mean different things in different countries flag. Didn't need to do research BTW I was there in the midst of the skinhead stuff. Mods, rockers, hippies. Seen them all. Thing I quite like here is that I can see a hippy, a skinhead, a rocker (bikie), mod all on the same day maybe and all in the same place and they get on fine. It's a strange old place Perth.

Flag you are talking nonsense, if people are fleeing the UK in fear then anybody from the UK should be able to claim asylum as in your view if you arrive in oz and claim asylum you should just be let in ,in all the threads on this you have yet to still come up with a a fair system. your answer is to simply let them in with no checks on who they actually are.

Are you Australian by birth or did you seek asylum here or just go through the process that every one else has to to gain entry here .

if it's as bad as you make out why are you still living in Australia

One thing I don't do is talk nonsense. You may lack an understanding of the discussion of course but no matter feel free to disagree, but perhaps you could explain your totally disregard for compassion and decency to be shown to those in need and leave your own prejudice's aside, which are rather evident.

As for UK asylum seekers, you may have heard of White Flight (white flight) sadly we got all too many in the early years of the empire coming home to Britain. Even more sad they are still in our mist even those newly landed. One can only wonder if the new realties building up in Australia will see these people at ease with elements of what they fled from?

It could be a reason why UK numbers are percentage of migrants is in decline.

Gujarati's inflicting their way of life and culture not to say language in your kids school in the Midlands I expect, wouldn't trust Vietnamese here in OZ as far as you could throw them, now Somali gangs in Perth causing grief. I really wonder if you are in the right country? You refer to a WA community of 1,045 people as of 2011 census. They must be some dudes to create such mayhem.

They've not caused a lot of mayhem yet. Just a couple of cases that made the news. One in town and one in Scarborough that was laughable. I never said they caused mayhem flag, they are your words. When did I say that about Vietnamese in general? I don't think I did. Maybe it was about the guys in 4 corners who were running the white vans around.

It wasn't my kids school BTW flag, we left before he would have ended up there. He was only 2 when we came.

Did the skin head fashion get over to Aus flag? Might have just been a fashion thing if it did though and not the bovver boys. My Mum was in a German twinning club and had her German friends come stay with us. They brought their nephew, about my age with them. We were walking through Chesterfield when we saw a bunch of skinheads. Our German friend went pale and ran off. We ran after him and asked waht was wrong. Apparently, in Germany, you saw people dressed like that and they were Nazi supporters who were more than likely to attack you. Once I explained it wasn't like that in the UK, they just did it for a bit of bravado and liked to have a punchup with mods every now and then. I actually knew a couple of the skinheads who passed the time of day.

Different fashions mean different things in different countries flag. Didn't need to do research BTW I was there in the midst of the skinhead stuff. Mods, rockers, hippies. Seen them all. Thing I quite like here is that I can see a hippy, a skinhead, a rocker (bikie), mod all on the same day maybe and all in the same place and they get on fine. It's a strange old place Perth.

Perth a rather straight place really. You've related the story before. Just relating the young Brits were no models either. I'd say with experience of African youth here in Perth, is that the greatest percentage know al too well the value of education and behave accordingly.

Of course there are issues as in every community. Somali are but small in number. Sudanese are far the biggest black African community in Perth.

They've not caused a lot of mayhem yet. Just a couple of cases that made the news. One in town and one in Scarborough that was laughable. I never said they caused mayhem flag, they are your words. When did I say that about Vietnamese in general? I don't think I did. Maybe it was about the guys in 4 corners who were running the white vans around.

It wasn't my kids school BTW flag, we left before he would have ended up there. He was only 2 when we came.

Read your own post then with comments on the racial group mentioned. As I referred Gujarati's are usually very middle class folk in UK and more likely to have uplifted the standard of the area than vice versa. I'd certainly want my kids in a multi racial school learning about the ways of the world and exposed to difference.

@Paul I highly doubt Gujarati would be the main language in that school you mention. Just because the children speak it as a second language doesnt mean it will be a main language at the school. Perception isnt reality and the national curriculum is not run by Gujaratis. Which school was it anyway?

Flag you no nothing about me so don't say things about me that you can't back up with hard facts the only thing I have stuck up for is a fair system so that genuine refugees get the help they deserve and not economic migrants which I believe a lot are, go back and read any post I have made, just because somebody is not agreeing with you ,you try to belittle them ,accuse them of being racist or insult them.

Read your own post then with comments on the racial group mentioned. As I referred Gujarati's are usually very middle class folk in UK and more likely to have uplifted the standard of the area than vice versa. I'd certainly want my kids in a multi racial school learning about the ways of the world and exposed to difference.

It certainly hasn't uplifted the standard of the area around Hyde, I can assure you of that. I was back there last November and had to go to a bike shop on the main street for an inner tube. I left the old borrowed mountain bike outside and the lady told me to bring it into the shop or it might disappear. The main street used to be thriving and full of little shops. They are mostly boarded up now. The market used to be fantastic with family run stalls passed down from generations of locals. We used to get a lot of our food from there, used to have a great deli. It's now full of stalls selling jeans and jumpers and tack.

The EU gave Hyde a massive grant as they realised the Town centre was becoming run down. They spent thousands on new market stalls and plant stands all over the place. Would be really nice if anyone looked after it.

@Paul I highly doubt Gujarati would be the main language in that school you mention. Just because the children speak it as a second language doesnt mean it will be a main language at the school. Perception isnt reality and the national curriculum is not run by Gujaratis. Which school was it anyway?

You could well be right gee. My wife went to look at the school, it was in Hyde near Stockport, no idea what it was called. Only know she made enquiries about my son maybe going to another one if possible and were told we weren't in the catchment area and to suck it up basically. Seems we weren't the only ones trying to get their kids into a different school and the council were getting a bit shirty with people asking.

It certainly hasn't uplifted the standard of the area around Hyde, I can assure you of that. I was back there last November and had to go to a bike shop on the main street for an inner tube. I left the old borrowed mountain bike outside and the lady told me to bring it into the shop or it might disappear. The main street used to be thriving and full of little shops. They are mostly boarded up now. The market used to be fantastic with family run stalls passed down from generations of locals. We used to get a lot of our food from there, used to have a great deli. It's now full of stalls selling jeans and jumpers and tack.

The EU gave Hyde a massive grant as they realised the Town centre was becoming run down. They spent thousands on new market stalls and plant stands all over the place. Would be really nice if anyone looked after it.

Just look at Portobello Road markets, the area used to be run down, cheap housing, working class, spanish refugees from the civil war...turn the clock around and its now prime real estate and generating tons of quid from being a major tourist attraction..

And who do you blame for that? Likely to be the economic depressive nature of the locality than any arrival of Gujarati's who can only be applauded for staying on in such dire conditions. (if Gujarati's at all) That group being famed for small business enterprise and success.

I do see though how you arrive at your views on Perth. I guess my England was very different to yours. Both of equal reality though.

Just look at Portobello Road markets, the area used to be run down, cheap housing, working class, spanish refugees from the civil war...turn the clock around and its now prime real estate and generating tons of quid from being a major tourist attraction..

An area I know very well. Not a big fan of the results of the changes. I couldn't afford the manor anymore. It was a large West Indian population in my time living in council houses and estates around the area. The infamous All Saints Road. Got mugged there once. Still it was a fascinating area, with an assortment of interesting and other worldly sort of people. A colourful market and tourists on a weekend galore. Still the tourists in far greater number but street life and colour a fraction of what it was. Sanitised is the word used I believe and largely endorse.

Flag you no nothing about me so don't say things about me that you can't back up with hard facts the only thing I have stuck up for is a fair system so that genuine refugees get the help they deserve and not economic migrants which I believe a lot are, go back and read any post I have made, just because somebody is not agreeing with you ,you try to belittle them ,accuse them of being racist or insult them.

I don't need to know anything about you and care even less. You made a comment with regards to my assessment of the matter to which I responded and will continue to do so when confronted with simplistic replies to mine. You need to go back and read comments made in previous posts before making blanket statements.

As often stated no issue with others disagreeing. Just repetitive nonsense inferring things were or were not said gets on my wick a bit.

Not only doubt the accusation is nonsense. What kids speak outside of school is hardly here nor there and a fact of life these days many schools be it in England or Australia are in catchment areas where large minorities of other language kids go to school. As you say English will always be the language of instruction. Any other accusation is tabloid sensationalism or trouble makers.

Archived