Apprenticeship While on BV A

LB93

Hi All,

Im in the situation where as my employer has offered me a full time apprenticeship with them so i can get my certificates over here (as i am classed as an unskilled laborer.) The problem is that im currently on a bridging visa A as i am awaiting the outcome of my partner visa application. I've contacted immi about this via email and they have stated that since im on a BVA, im entitled to work and study as much as i like so yes, its possible. But i know better than to trust immi lol.

I was under the impression that you needed to at least have the 820 temp visa to have access to government funding for the apprenticeship? This is all just assumption and i cant find anything about it on the web, and my employer has never done this with someone on a BV, so its all new to the both of us.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

I thought bridging visas carried the same conditions as the original visa so the likely answer is no if your original visa wasn't a permanent resident visa which is what you will need for any government funding.

Hi All,

Im in the situation where as my employer has offered me a full time apprenticeship with them so i can get my certificates over here (as i am classed as an unskilled laborer.) The problem is that im currently on a bridging visa A as i am awaiting the outcome of my partner visa application. I've contacted immi about this via email and they have stated that since im on a BVA, im entitled to work and study as much as i like so yes, its possible. But i know better than to trust immi lol.

I was under the impression that you needed to at least have the 820 temp visa to have access to government funding for the apprenticeship? This is all just assumption and i cant find anything about it on the web, and my employer has never done this with someone on a BV, so its all new to the both of us.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Unlike most bridging visas, if you are on a bridging visa for a Spouse/Partner visa you have full working/studying rights.

Unlike most bridging visas, if you are on a bridging visa for a Spouse/Partner visa you have full working/studying rights.

Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what immi said but its extremely vague. Does that mean in a nutshell i would be able to do an apprenticeship? This includes going to TAFE etc, so i thought that the company pays for this, then they get a rebate from the government meaning i would need access to government funding.

Or am i totally wrong about how the apprenticeship scheme works lol.

Hi can't say for yourself 100% but I made an enquiry for my son who is on a BVA to the apprentice NSW people and was told under no circumstances could he do an Apprenticship unless he was a Permanent Resident or Citizen. Worth giving them a bell they will give you the answer you need. Debbs 

An apprenticship has two parts. TAFE which he will have to pay up front but should now be eligible for Australia prices, and then government funding which is oaid to your employer to pay the majority of your salary. The latter is what you cannot get on a BVA...so if the employer is willing not to get any funding or tax relief you could still start but not many businesses will be able to do this.

Archived