UK age pension in Australia

Country vic

I left the UK about 30 years ago, lived in NZ for 20 years and in Australia for the last 10 years.

I am starring to get very worried what will happen when I reach pension age.

Just checked out the UK gov web site and I can apply this November, although if you live overseas you can't apply on-line.

Has anyone here been through the process of claiming their UK pension here.

I have a bad feeling I will get little or nothing, my work history is rather scattered, I have been self employed since I came here so I am thinking I will have to work until I drop, when the day comes I can no longer work, who knows what I will do then.

Are dual UK/ NZ citzens entitled to any Australian pension payments.

It's starting to get seriously worrying.

Any sharing of your experience with age pensions UK, NZ OZ appreciated.

It depends on the amount of years you contributed in the UK. I think for a full pension you need 30 years work in the UK. Have you not paid Superannuation for yourself in the last 30 years?

You are entitled to a part UK pension based on your years worked there. If for example the years worked to be able to get a full pension are 35, and you only worked there for 7 of those years, you will be entitled to 7/35ths of the pension. You can back pay 6 years of "stamps" to increase your pension, but I think that has to be done prior to reaching 65.

The UK government actually sent me all the paperwork required to claim a pension, but I am yet to fill it in. I do not know where they came up with my address from, but they did.

To enquire, contact ...

The Pension Service.

Tyne View Park.

International Pension Service

Newcastle Upon Tyne

NE98 1BA

UK.

I left the UK about 30 years ago, lived in NZ for 20 years and in Australia for the last 10 years.

I am starring to get very worried what will happen when I reach pension age.

Just checked out the UK gov web site and I can apply this November, although if you live overseas you can't apply on-line.

Has anyone here been through the process of claiming their UK pension here.

I have a bad feeling I will get little or nothing, my work history is rather scattered, I have been self employed since I came here so I am thinking I will have to work until I drop, when the day comes I can no longer work, who knows what I will do then.

Are dual UK/ NZ citzens entitled to any Australian pension payments.

It's starting to get seriously worrying.

Any sharing of your experience with age pensions UK, NZ OZ appreciated.

The rules have recently changed and the contributory years have been widened so you will have to look them up as to who the new rules 'entrap" (so to speak) I was born in 1948 and as such, only require 20 yrs contributions for a full UK pension, which I had before I came to Oz. The full (basic) pension is approximately half that of the Oz pension so Australia tops up my Uk pension to the Australian level despite me never having paid anything into the Australian system other than to be a stay at home dad who's kids now contribute...................so..................what i would say to you is that the UK basic pension is of little consequence, to those who are eligible for the Australian one, because if i didn't get it, I'd be getting the full Aussie one anyway, as opposed to them just topping it up. At my time of applying for an Aussie top up, all that was required of me was PR for 10 yrs. You've been here 30 yrs, so I can't see a problem unless you're used to living a life of luxury, in which case, you should have provided for your future. I find it starnge though that a self employed person is having/hoping to rely on basic state pension?

The rules have recently changed and the contributory years have been widened so you will have to look them up as to who the new rules 'entrap" (so to speak) I was born in 1948 and as such, only require 20 yrs contributions for a full UK pension, which I had before I came to Oz. The full (basic) pension is approximately half that of the Oz pension so Australia tops up my Uk pension to the Australian level despite me never having paid anything into the Australian system other than to be a stay at home dad who's kids now contribute...................so..................what i would say to you is that the UK basic pension is of little consequence, to those who are eligible for the Australian one, because if i didn't get it, I'd be getting the full Aussie one anyway, as opposed to them just topping it up. At my time of applying for an Aussie top up, all that was required of me was PR for 10 yrs. You've been here 30 yrs, so I can't see a problem unless you're used to living a life of luxury, in which case, you should have provided for your future. I find it starnge though that a self employed person is having/hoping to rely on basic state pension?

To add. All the information I provided can be freely found at the UK Gov't website and the Centrelink one and although both Gov'ts required "hard copy" applications, these can be filled in online but have to be downloaded/printed and personally signed, or they did when I applied for both

There is advantage to getting the UK pension though. Australia doesn't just cut your Australian pension by the same amount.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I think Australia treats the UK pension as income received, but if you don't get much other income then you may still qualify for the full Australian pension. Because you are allowed some income before your Australian pension is affected.

I'm sure my Mum got the the full Australian pension as well as a part pension from the UK.

So definitely apply for the UK pension if you can get it, as well as the Australian pension if you are a PR in Australia.

There is advantage to getting the UK pension though. Australia doesn't just cut your Australian pension by the same amount.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I think Australia treats the UK pension as income received, but if you don't get much other income then you may still qualify for the full Australian pension. Because you are allowed some income before your Australian pension is affected.

I'm sure my Mum got the the full Australian pension as well as a part pension from the UK.

So definitely apply for the UK pension if you can get it, as well as the Australian pension if you are a PR in Australia.

Yes, Parley is correct and Centrelink actually does make up your UK pension to above and beyond the Aus one and I think it may be for the reason that he explained...........ie your UK pension may be deemed as (other) income and a certain amount of income is allowed when considering a claim which is likely why my total pension (UK + Aus) is more than the Aus pension

Not sure where the idea I have been in Australia for 30 years came from, I didn't say that.

As I did say I am a dual UK/NZ citizen - not a PR or Australian citizen.

The reality of being a temporary resident often comes as a shock to people who live here with a SCV, that's the price we pay for not looking ahead and doing the research.

There has been talk about creating a pathway to allow SCV holders to move ahead but nothing has ever come of it.

I would like to see NZ treat Australian citizens who move there in the same way NZ'ers are treated here, that might encourage the government here to change their policy.

If there is anyone is a similar situation, complicated work and personal history, living as a temporary resident on a SCV let me know how you got on.

Like most things I am the cause of my own problems. Not to worry things will work out - or not.

The issue, as I'm sure you are aware, is that 95% of migration between Aus and NZ was Kiwis coming to Australia.

We used to provide reciprocal beneits but it became a huge burden on the Aus government and not much burden for NZ government.

For this reason the benefits to NZ citizens were curtailed.

Have you seen this ? http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/customer/information-in-your-language/resources/014/014-1302en.pdf

Archived