Any other needle-phobes done the medical?

supercow

My issue might sound silly to most. I have had a needle phobia for the best part of my life. Without going into all the details , rest assured that I'm not asking for advice on how to cope with the blood test on a cognitive level, as I've had countless therapy sessions employing the help of all manner of professionals and quacks alike - nothing you can add to this. I’m a bit of a walking contradiction, as I tend to do all sorts of very dangerous, high impact sports that puts me in hospital more than I care for, but luckily all the surgery I’ve needed thus far, was of course while I was knocked out by the anesthetist’s gas.

What I’m asking, is whether anyone’s had any drugs prescribed to them (by a doctor!) to be able to go through with it? My reaction to needles is pretty violent (pass out and look like I’m getting an epileptic fit), so ideally I want a doc to prescribe me something that can put a small horse into a coma. I’ve had some luck with Valium / diazepam for dental procedures, but felt it’s a bit hit and miss for me and quite a high dose (20mg) only just takes the edge off me.

Any other real phobes out there and have a magic pill recommendation? Will this be something that's picked up in the blood, possible negatively affecting the results?

It would only be picked up if they were particularly testing for it, it might be worth ringing the centre and asking to speak to the Dr who is doing the medical and seeing if there is anything that they can recommend for you.

I thought everyone had to have the HIV test? We both did anyway. I Alston had to have hep b and hep c test due to working in Healthcare. I thought the urine test was to Look for drug use but the lady told me, nope they only look for glucose, blood and protein in the urine.

Thanks folks, my test is a little way off yet, so exploring my options. As far as I'm aware the HIV test is mandatory regardless of background, hence the question.

@ali thanks, even though I dont have the test booked, that's good avice. I'll contact one of the registered centres and see if they've had experience with fruitloops like me :P

I thought you only had the blood test if you have Tattoos or multiple piercings???? If you have a needle phobia, i doubt you have the above so if im right you wont need blood test, just urine tests.

Cal x

Sadly no, every adult will need to do the blood tests.

Thanks folks, my test is a little way off yet, so exploring my options. As far as I'm aware the HIV test is mandatory regardless of background, hence the question.

@ali thanks, even though I dont have the test booked, that's good avice. I'll contact one of the registered centres and see if they've had experience with fruitloops like me :P

I'd be surprised if you're the only one - but ring around a few just in case lol

Archived