Moving back to UK - Shipping advice

fanta

Hi All

We are moving back to UK Nov 2015 and the plan is to reduce as much as possible the furniture by selling or giving away.

But there will be a small amount if small furniture items we need to ship.

Do i go down the small cube route ? Or go a bit bigger and stuff in as much as poss. I'm not sure if for extra cost you would be better selling things like washing machine, fridge freezer etc and buying in UK.

Thoughts ??

I'm also going back in November and have decided on the medium sized move cube. I'm only taking kids toys, personal items and tv's. I'm going to do two piles the stuff i am taking back and then the stuff would take back if room. Then if don't fit in then there's no great loss but if can fit in extras then it's a bonus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can search for my previous posts on here but in brief we moved back 8 months ago and did 2 move cubes and they were fantastic, no breakages and here in 3 months. We also did one shipment using Kent, it was terrible, took 6 months, couldn't track it and our fridge was bashed up and my computer kit broken. The only reason i used them was for safety of my computer kit which I use professionally. Disaster. The Kent shipment cost almost double the move cubes and they were fairly rude at the quoting stage to boot, I should have backed out then. Move cube all the way for me!

• 1 month later...

We have used Chess. Cost about 2000, for a shared container. We are not bothered on the time it will take, just the professional packing etc. We are slowly selling stuff but it is a struggle, no money about and people are after brand new for second hand prices. If it comes to it we will take back unsold items as well. Biggest problem is vehicles. Won't be taking them back but no one interested at all. Listed our things on Gumtree Sunshine Coast. Oh well it is what it is.

We have used Chess. Cost about 2000, for a shared container. We are not bothered on the time it will take, just the professional packing etc. We are slowly selling stuff but it is a struggle, no money about and people are after brand new for second hand prices. If it comes to it we will take back unsold items as well. Biggest problem is vehicles. Won't be taking them back but no one interested at all. Listed our things on Gumtree Sunshine Coast. Oh well it is what it is.

Oh tell me about that, we had a barely used $2,000 chaise lounge from Laura Ashley which we knew didn't have room for in the UK house plus we were also trying to donwsize to get into a 20 foot container. Put it up for quick sale for $250 and one couple were going over it with a magnifying glass to try to find any thread pulls! As for the car, you can always take it back to the dealer, you won't get a good price, but it will get rid of it on the day you want it gone.

Why is it when you wanna buy stuff it's always expensive, but when you need to get rid of stuff, you can't give it away..........?

So true. In hindsight, we should have got a big MoveCube and stuffed it as full as possible, rather than selling up/throwing away and buying new here. When you haven't had to buy any new furniture or kitchen stuff for 10 years, you forget how expensive it's going to be to replace it!

Just on selling stuff - does anyone else find gumtree massively painful?

People get in touch asking if you will let it go for a greatly reduced price. We recently listed a wardrobe for $130 and someone offered us $60 for it!

And when people do get in touch to come and have a look, they are late or a no-show. One guy turned up (after being a hour later than he said) in a tiny van to collect the (huge) wardrobe, even though the dimensions were listed. Gumtree is full of time wasters unfortunately!

I totally agree. Gumtree is painful. The questions we are asked are unreal. We describe things accurately, provide dimensions and then get asked will it fit is such a cars boot?? No shows are common as are the scam texts and emails. What we don't sell will be going back with us. We have agreed a total with the movers that can be adjusted downwards if we sell.

We have sold some items. Unfortunately we now have no fridge or lawn mower!!! But we are seeing it all as the start of a new adventure............hahahaha

I have just listed our moped and a beach cruiser on Gumtree, I've had one very abrupt message that I just can't be bothered to reply to. I'd rather take things back than have to deal with people who want to take the pee! Bring back preloved and ebay, yay!

I know coming out was extremely strict on wooden items, but does anyone have any experience of taking them back to the UK? Are customs as strict? As we have bought a few things since we've been here which we'd like to take back, but some are quite old and I'm worried what will happen with customs. Not 'old' as in expensive antiques, just an old mess! Upcycling projects that I've never got round to.....does anyone know will this be a problem?

Gumtree is sadly the best option despite all the annoying timewasters (selling on eBay just kills you on fees). I moved back to the UK in Nov and managed to shift a lot of stuff there. Even if you only get a small amount you it is something. You definitely have to be ready for no showers and pee-takers though. I had multiple people ask what I would sell for over the phone, we agreed a price and then they tried knocking down further on viewing (despite the condition being fully disclosed). don't give in though...they usually pay up as otherwise they've wasted their time as well as yours!

As for white goods, we got rid of those also. Luckily timing worked out for us so we were only without washing machine etc for a couple of days (typically one was on the hottest day of the year up to that point). If you want to ship them back just bear in mind that you will need something the other end due to the time delay so, the money you save in not buying brand new could well be lost in hiring whilst you wait for your shipment.

That and you would either have to use adaptors / change the plugs (potentially a pain in the rear either way as the former can be bulky in the tight spaces often afforded to areas for plugging white goods in and the latter well not many people would be comfortable with that).

We got a few quotes in the end and went with Grace removals (sydney branch) although they were abysmal (on all counts). I'll have to write a review when I get time!

One thing you should look into is getting your insurance from a third party. The removalists will charge a premium for that. We used a company called Letton percival and they were decent for the price. We had a lot of stuff damaged by Grace and we pretty much got back what we insured it for (less the excess of course). Have a look around though as there are probably others out there.

As for wood - no, we didn't have any issues with any wooden products and there were quite a few that we brought back to the UK.

Only other thing I'd add is that, being out of the UK for over 5 years we found out upon our return that our credit history had effectively been wiped so it was hard to get store credit with certain companies e.g. one company turned us down when trying to get finance to buy a couple of sofas (they clearly were unable to cope with the fact that our last 3 years worth of addresses were in Oz). We ended up just having to buy it outright as we also did with a car.

Luckily some places were fine eg. where we bought our bed from but you never know.

Also a friend of ours recently moved back and because she hadn't kept her old credit card account open and she also was out of the UK for 5 or so years upon returning she was unable to get a new credit card as she had no UK address history for the past few years.

All a pain in the butt really. Hope that helps.

Garage sale?

To be honest we had great success selling on gumtree - my OH priced things & I cringed thinking there was no way we could ask THAT and had virtually no negotiation. We had a 12 year old leather sofa that was cat scratched - he put it up for $100 (with a honest description/photos) and the guy came looked at it, said he had been going to put in a lower offer but it was so good he couldn't possibly pay us any less than we were asking!!!

But the little stuff and truly dire stuff (fridge freezer with broken shelves etc) we had a garage sale for - it was brilliant but we still shifted a lot of stuff - the rest we left on the front for people to take - very little was left.

• 1 month later...

We got rid of some things over gumtree, didn't have anyone try to reduce the price once they were here. Some maybe beforehand, but we did not budge on prices, we put things up pretty cheaply as our main objective was to get rid, not make money.

One item we decided to get rid of was an airbed, we asked for $10. Someone texted to say they wanted an airbed urgently for visitors that evening and would I take $5 and could I deliver it to them!! That was one of those you don't bother answering.

• 3 months later...

Hi all I am seeking information on the movecubes and costs- i have been looking at both 20ft and 40ft containers approx $5000 to $10,000 costs and was wondering if this is right as i am thinking of also taking one of the cars back only a small car but only 10 months old. Also would appreciate info on good removal companies. Thanks thinking of moving back to UK in June 2016.

Hi all I am seeking information on the movecubes and costs- i have been looking at both 20ft and 40ft containers approx $5000 to $10,000 costs and was wondering if this is right as i am thinking of also taking one of the cars back only a small car but only 10 months old. Also would appreciate info on good removal companies. Thanks thinking of moving back to UK in June 2016.

Is it viable to take a car back ? I read on here how you can get one for next to nothing in the UK. Would it not be better to sell it here, if you can get more money than pay shipping costs and have it de-value so much on arrival ?

Cal x

Is it viable to take a car back ? I read on here how you can get one for next to nothing in the UK. Would it not be better to sell it here, if you can get more money than pay shipping costs and have it de-value so much on arrival ?

Cal x

My hubby wants to take our car back - it is a very ordinary Hyundai that we have owned from new. Low mileage and super reliable. The costings are so so by the time you factor in that you'll be ripped off for selling and ripped off for buying a new car in the UK - it's the hassle that bothers me TBH

Archived