Is there a reccesion looming.

duffer34

I don't hear that so many are leaving just because the money has dropped Shelly. I don't know anyone going back, other than VS and I only "know" him through this site.

We didn't come for the money and didn't expect it being any better than the UK. I've had several different jobs here and I've always felt I would find something to keep me ticking over, both here and the UK when recessions have come along.

We stay here for the lifestyle, not the money.:cool:[/QUOE

hi paul , I hear what you saying , but you will find since you left the UK salieries are much higher for engineers especially contract , and there are lots more jobs for people in like my hubby in UK that's the only example I can use him lol :) he's been through recessions , it's not just about the money it's about getting a job here in a area where u live , and my hubby know lots gone overseas for the work .

And he never had to work away only Monday to Friday he was back at weekends and that's a big difference .

Doesn't matter what the salary is Shelly. Even the ones you quote or a million pounds a year, I couldn't have the lifestyle I do here, it's just not available no matter how much money. Sure I could maybe live as near to the coast but where could I find a beach as nice as the one I live near, maybe Bournemouth? Then there's the water temperature and the fact that I have my surf ski at the club, at the beach, there are always other people as daft as me there so I have people to have a laugh with. All year round too. If there were the people that did it it would be limited to summer months for sure.

If that lifestyle exists in the UK I don't know where it will be, even if you are a multi millionaire.

My cousin came over on holiday. I used to play soccer with him for years and we used to go running together. He was pretty fit up to his mid 30's. He's in his 50's now, way over weight, just about lives in the welfare. When he was here I got him to come down the beach with me in the mornings at 5:30am. He thought I was a bit mental at first but after the first time he was up every morning. Even started exercising and going for a run up the beach. Swore blind he would carry it on when he got home and

managed to talk a couple of his mates into running a couple of times a week. Lasted about a month, until the bad weather came and it all fell apart. He couldn't be bothered going on his own, it's not so much of a laugh then and just gets to be a chore.:cool:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess Mandurah must be a nice place for a lot of FIFO workers to live VS. Some nice houses down there and when you work FIFO I guess they aren't out of the price range. When things turn bad though the big house, boat and jet ski can be a bit of a millstone. It seems a nice place when we've called in there.

Never bought into that. I drive a bright yellow 2004 Hyunday Getz. No boat, no jet ski, house is a single story 3/2 which we spent 2 years looking for to get the right deal. Most expensive toy is a fishing rod that cost me $50. Oh, and we upgraded to 3 TVs - one for main living, one for guest and one for our bedroom. The later was $30 from Kmart. The others good quality but bought on sale.

Guest Guest66881
Never bought into that. I drive a bright yellow 2004 Hyunday Getz. No boat, no jet ski, house is a single story 3/2 which we spent 2 years looking for to get the right deal. Most expensive toy is a fishing rod that cost me $50. Oh, and we upgraded to 3 TVs - one for main living, one for guest and one for our bedroom. The later was $30 from Kmart. The others good quality but bought on sale.

Shut up:wink:

You say that Paul, but when you arrived you could get much more for your money. Houses were cheap. That causes houses to go up in value, but for the second wave that was offset by higher wages. The third wave are looking at high house prices, less jobs, lower wages and a still high dollar.

It's also understandable that those who never thought it was going to be permanent have decided to leave, and those who always thought the streets were paved with gold are being forced to leave.

It's just the way it is. Aussie House prices will fall, the dollar will fall, the UK will stall, then you'll get the next wave.

Honestly don't think there was much difference. In 92 we bought our house and were worried about the mortgage and if we would be able to afford it. We had one 3 year old and waited a few years before we had a second. I hear so many stories about people complaining they are in poverty and they have a couple of young kids. Heard one this morning. Guy was doing a PHd, English wasn't his first language, married, wife not working, had 2 young kids and he was complaining that he couldn't afford a decent rental????

Have to cut your cloth no matter where you live and if you like the good weather, have a job with enough money to get you on the housing ladder, in a suburb you like, then no amount of money back in the UK is going to get you that.

Doesn't matter what the salary is Shelly. Even the ones you quote or a million pounds a year, I couldn't have the lifestyle I do here, it's just not available no matter how much money. Sure I could maybe live as near to the coast but where could I find a beach as nice as the one I live near, maybe Bournemouth? Then there's the water temperature and the fact that I have my surf ski at the club, at the beach, there are always other people as daft as me there so I have people to have a laugh with. All year round too. If there were the people that did it it would be limited to summer months for sure.

If that lifestyle exists in the UK I don't know where it will be, even if you are a multi millionaire.

My cousin came over on holiday. I used to play soccer with him for years and we used to go running together. He was pretty fit up to his mid 30's. He's in his 50's now, way over weight, just about lives in the welfare. When he was here I got him to come down the beach with me in the mornings at 5:30am. He thought I was a bit mental at first but after the first time he was up every morning. Even started exercising and going for a run up the beach. Swore blind he would carry it on when he got home and

managed to talk a couple of his mates into running a couple of times a week. Lasted about a month, until the bad weather came and it all fell apart. He couldn't be bothered going on his own, it's not so much of a laugh then and just gets to be a chore.:cool:

I hear what what you saying also but lifestyle is only sustainable with a job . In UK I did far more than I do here although we've not got it bad here I'm not saying that but living apart is crap . And he's applied and applied for here . One in Melbourne his boss in brissie what was said he will put his name forward he will ring them lol but that's all well and good but I'm still in limbo . Carny keep moving . It's madness . That's ok Paul if you are over the moon here I see you are I'm not knocking that . But we went abroad 3 times a year went out every single weekend in UK . I'm not living no better lifestyle here atm nowhere near . Anyway it will sort itself out no doubt :)

I thought I'd seen posts where you were having one built VS. Sounded like it wasn't the 3x2 you are referring to. Did it fall through? Are you moving back to the UK BTW?

I wont get get into a debate on beaches. I have posted on this. suffice to say, I find them dull and it is easy to jump on a easy jet flight to the med for next to nothing while at the same time living a life of less hours, more time off, and living around stunning countryside.

I learnt to to surf in Durness. I find we spend far less time outdoors than the UK. Having just spent 2 months in the arctic at temps of -20 I would say, you don't need heat. You just need a willingness. As for people giving up a sport, we both know it happens just as much in both cultures / climates.

Is has been found to be repeadtly one of the highest worked / longest hours in the OECD. While for you, the laid back lifestyle may occur, for most it doesn't.

It's also a case of what do you do for the best stick or twist in my case lol :) I really don't know :)

Twist!:wink: We want to get back to some sort of normality.dont get me wrong i have a great job/ work for myself and support a family of five here. But! Their is still something missing. Like you I miss the weekends living it up:wacko: etc etc.

Guest Guest66881
never mind just keep eyes peeled on the brewing storm. Take cover and hope it'll blow over or ignore storm warnings and prey for the best.

:sleep:

I wont get get into a debate on beaches. I have posted on this. suffice to say, I find them dull and it is easy to jump on a easy jet flight to the med for next to nothing while at the same time living a life of less hours, more time off, and living around stunning countryside.

I learnt to to surf in Durness. I find we spend far less time outdoors than the UK. Having just spent 2 months in the arctic at temps of -20 I would say, you don't need heat. You just need a willingness. As for people giving up a sport, we both know it happens just as much in both cultures / climates.

Is has been found to be repeadtly one of the highest worked / longest hours in the OECD. While for you, the laid back lifestyle may occur, for most it doesn't.

That's the point though VS. Where I live and the people I hang around with the laid back lifestyle, as you call it, is the norm.

None of the people I know work long hours, some work FIFO sure, but they get the time off that goes along with it. We saw people surfing in Bournemouth when we were there on holiday but they had full thick wetsuits on complete with bootees and hoods. My son said why would you bother. I called him a wuss at the time but never felt the inclination to learn to surf until I came here. Used to windsurf a lot but again, 5mm wetsuit, freezing when you come off the water. Did it through winter a couple of times but it's so much more enjoyable here.

It is easy to get a flight over to somewhere like Spain or Portugal but there is the time it takes to get to the airport, through customs, pay for the hotel, then all it does is make you more depressed when you get back and long for the next holiday. Here I never feel like that, I can have a blast every weekend and even in the week I'm doing something that feels like I could be on holiday.

That's why we came here VS and it's lived up to it. My wife has always loved the beach, not as sports mad as me but she goes for a run at weekends and keeps herself pretty fit. She enjoys being down the beach with other wives though and they generally sit there chatting.

We've been on holiday to other places, Bali last year and lots of places in Aus and we never feel depressed when we get home. Actually I'm usually ready to get home to get back into my routine, I miss my toys too much when we are away.:cool:

Twist!:wink: We want to get back to some sort of normality.dont get me wrong i have a great job/ work for myself and support a family of five here. But! Their is still something missing. Like you I miss the weekends living it up:wacko: etc etc.

Well im going home Tuesday by myself hubby flies back to Perth Sunday been a great two week he knows I'll be sad so he said chuck ta job for now and go visit home see how u feel so that's what I've done :) exited to be honest lol :)

I guess Mandurah must be a nice place for a lot of FIFO workers to live VS. Some nice houses down there and when you work FIFO I guess they aren't out of the price range. When things turn bad though the big house, boat and jet ski can be a bit of a millstone. It seems a nice place when we've called in there.

It obviously suites some but the odd day is plenty for me. I remember Mandurah as a small town. It grew too fast and too opulent. What's with so many deserted houses of statue alongside the canals? A place with a lot of social issues and associated problems.

My take on it these days is rather superficial and something of a satellite city to Perth.

That's the point though VS. Where I live and the people I hang around with the laid back lifestyle, as you call it, is the norm.

None of the people I know work long hours, some work FIFO sure, but they get the time off that goes along with it. We saw people surfing in Bournemouth when we were there on holiday but they had full thick wetsuits on complete with bootees and hoods. My son said why would you bother. I called him a wuss at the time but never felt the inclination to learn to surf until I came here. Used to windsurf a lot but again, 5mm wetsuit, freezing when you come off the water. Did it through winter a couple of times but it's so much more enjoyable here.

It is easy to get a flight over to somewhere like Spain or Portugal but there is the time it takes to get to the airport, through customs, pay for the hotel, then all it does is make you more depressed when you get back and long for the next holiday. Here I never feel like that, I can have a blast every weekend and even in the week I'm doing something that feels like I could be on holiday.

That's why we came here VS and it's lived up to it. My wife has always loved the beach, not as sports mad as me but she goes for a run at weekends and keeps herself pretty fit. She enjoys being down the beach with other wives though and they generally sit there chatting.

We've been on holiday to other places, Bali last year and lots of places in Aus and we never feel depressed when we get home. Actually I'm usually ready to get home to get back into my routine, I miss my toys too much when we are away.:cool:

I do go to beaches and swim at times in winter. I quite enjoy them for swimming and walking and at times take a book and read. Saying that I know some corkers in Portugal with a lifestyle to match. Little comparison with Perth in my view with the added life around. Sadly life is not but a beach otherwise I'd more than likely spend half the year in Portugal. Perhaps Europe's most unappreciated country?

I hear what what you saying also but lifestyle is only sustainable with a job . In UK I did far more than I do here although we've not got it bad here I'm not saying that but living apart is crap . And he's applied and applied for here . One in Melbourne his boss in brissie what was said he will put his name forward he will ring them lol but that's all well and good but I'm still in limbo . Carny keep moving . It's madness . That's ok Paul if you are over the moon here I see you are I'm not knocking that . But we went abroad 3 times a year went out every single weekend in UK . I'm not living no better lifestyle here atm nowhere near . Anyway it will sort itself out no doubt :)

Maybe we've just been incredibly lucky and we came at the right time but we sort of new exactly what we wanted out of the move. My wife is a nurse so she got a job pretty quick, always decent money for nurses and a good working environment usually. I was out of work for 5 months when we arrived but never been out since.

Might sound a bit selfish at the mo' but I'm in a win, win situation. Our project at work has been winding down a bit and there doesn't seem to be much coming in. It's not mining or oil and gas BTW. If the worst comes to the worst though and I get a redundancy, then I know I'll be getting a decent payout. I've not got long till I retire anyway and already started a transition to retirement with my super account. If things pick up I'll just carry on as normal until I retire. I like the job, the people I work with and we are moving to a new office pretty soon.

Change is as good as a rest they say.:cool:

Good luck and have a nice holiday Shelly.

We have a niece and her boyfriend visiting us in July, on their way back from teaching in China. Looking forward to it.

I do go to beaches and swim at times in winter. I quite enjoy them for swimming and walking and at times take a book and read. Saying that I know some corkers in Portugal with a lifestyle to match. Little comparison with Perth in my view with the added life around. Sadly life is not but a beach otherwise I'd more than likely spend half the year in Portugal. Perhaps Europe's most unappreciated country?

We used to have a timeshare in Portugal. Place called Praia Da Oura. Loved it, used to go for a week in our nice timeshare apartment right by the beach and then get a cheapy in the same village for another two weeks or so. Great food, nice people, lovely uncrowded beaches then. Would have been late 70's early 80's, when Albufeira was a sleepy little fishing village.:laugh:

I've looked at it on google maps and was devastated to see miles and miles of high rise hotels all the way between Albufeira and where our time share was, with hardly any room on the beaches.

When we looked into emigrating at the embassy they compared Perths coastline and climate to the Algarve and that swung it for us.

We had thought how lovely it must be if we could have lived and worked in the Algarve but Portuguese would be a tough language to learn well enough to hold down a job. That's if there's any work around there, other than tourist trade. We got to know a lady who rented her apartment to us and her husband worked in Lisbon a lot due to lack of jobs. Coming here seemed the next best thing and we didn't have to worry about a language problem.:cool:

There's an Algarve Way in Hillary's.

Maybe we've just been incredibly lucky and we came at the right time but we sort of new exactly what we wanted out of the move. My wife is a nurse so she got a job pretty quick, always decent money for nurses and a good working environment usually. I was out of work for 5 months when we arrived but never been out since.

Might sound a bit selfish at the mo' but I'm in a win, win situation. Our project at work has been winding down a bit and there doesn't seem to be much coming in. It's not mining or oil and gas BTW. If the worst comes to the worst though and I get a redundancy, then I know I'll be getting a decent payout. I've not got long till I retire anyway and already started a transition to retirement with my super account. If things pick up I'll just carry on as normal until I retire. I like the job, the people I work with and we are moving to a new office pretty soon.

Change is as good as a rest they say.:cool:

Good luck and have a nice holiday Shelly.

We have a niece and her boyfriend visiting us in July, on their way back from teaching in China. Looking forward to it.

Thanks paul , I will do :) and me hubbies never been out of work here it's just where lol it will be timing for you and some also and he's never been out of work in UK neither since being here he's scratched around for bits of work which does not suit him he needs be using his brain needs get his teeth in a project from the off and he knows he won't be out of work but where I could easily access him in UK by car if need be no u don't sound selfish it's each to its own but I know the lifestyle I lead and I'm not leading it here atm although anything can happen things Change ect but I'm still going for me holiday and again at Christmas son finishes school November worlds my oyster haha we shall see :):)

Archived