5 months in...decision made

shak

we're returning to uk December 2016,maybe earlier!and i cannot wait!5 months and heres my story...

our first month was just like a holiday,we were loving it,the beautiful beaches,the wildlife,the sun,smiley faces,etc.but after the first month it just been downhill for me,i'm constantly ill,for those that have read my previous thread will know what i'm talking about.the nausea hasnt subsided,instead i've just been having more problems with my menstrual cycle. it could be the heat,could be the anxiety,or intolerance to some foods here,but i have tried everything and nothing seems to be working.

homesickness for me is only getting worse,i'm actually beginning to miss the cold,which is bizarre coming from me.but the heat here is unbearable.i never understood people from hot countries that preferred rain and clouds,understand them perfectly now.i thought i would be out in the sun always,but majority of the day i'm indoors with the air con on, trying to block out every bit of sunlight. however the evenings are nice and cool.but half the time i can't enjoy that either as i'm always feeling unwell.i used loving going out,but these days i try and avoid it,in case i have to rush home again.i realise how much i took for granted in uk,and miss the little things,like chocolate.oh and Indian food,i'm yet to find a good indian restaurant. i'm also always feeling really bad about keeping my baby away from all her cousins,grandparents,aunts and uncles,i feel she's missing out on too much,like recent birthday parties and weddings.she does love Australia though.plus i feel bad for my parents who are getting old,i want to be their for them.didnt think about any of this when leaving,was just too busy thinking of our new life in oz.and living here is not what i expected,not what my husband expected either,as his job here is alot demanding then the one he had in uk.

the bugs don't bother me too much,only the cockroaches,don't see that many anymore though.seen a couple of spiders,only in bushes and zoos,they seem to mind their own business.the people here that i'v met are lovely,really friendly and approachable.wasnt as difficult as i thought it would be to make friends.you just got to smile,and be approachable yourselves,and sometimes you may have to make the first move,not as scary as i thought.the parks are lovely too.there is alot more to do here,weather dependant.

shopping malls are ok,but i prefer the uk stores.however i find the clothes here alot more expensive.the fruit and veg is really expensive too,i mean doesn't it all grow here anyway,so i don't understand the ridiculous prices.everything else doesn't seem too badly priced.

overall, Australia is a beautiful country,it has its disadvantages like any other country, and if it wasn't for me being ill all the time,i think i would've given it longer.but unfortunately due to me being sick all the time i have just had enough,can't bear this heat anymore.not being able to go out sometimes does my head in too,as i always feel like i'm missing out on alot of oz.so i'd rather be in the uk where i don't feel i'm missing out on too much.anyway thought i'd give you an update of my time in oz.

bring on 2016!

You had all the tests done you can possibly have ...if it's food related l cannot c it going away in uk because here may of triggered what ever it is you might have .

Although i I wish you well in uk ...5 month though ...are you sure it's not home sickness .

I was was ill for a year ...honestly it was fed up with it ...I'm still off now but I get up and get on with it not nice I know I need go I'm room talk ...but have u tried taking stuff out ya diet ...milk ..bread choc ...I still av them but very little amounts . Bread I avoid but I'll have half a nan then suffer because I love it lol ...I don't know you maybe just homesick , I know what you mean by the good Indian ..they are in brissie lol :) good luck anyway :)

You had all the tests done you can possibly have ...if it's food related l cannot c it going away in uk because here may of triggered what ever it is you might have .

Although i I wish you well in uk ...5 month though ...are you sure it's not home sickness .

I was was ill for a year ...honestly it was fed up with it ...I'm still off now but I get up and get on with it not nice I know I need go I'm room talk ...but have u tried taking stuff out ya diet ...milk ..bread choc ...I still av them but very little amounts . Bread I avoid but I'll have half a nan then suffer because I love it lol ...I don't know you maybe just homesick , I know what you mean by the good Indian ..they are in brissie lol :) good luck anyway :)

Iv cut out dairy,bread is next on my list...part of it is homesickness, but most of it is being ill and having no support.when i go back to the uk,i know theres no guarantee i'll feel better,but at least i'll have the support,my husband always at work,and i struggle sometimes with my little one

Iv cut out dairy,bread is next on my list...part of it is homesickness, but most of it is being ill and having no support.when i go back to the uk,i know theres no guarantee i'll feel better,but at least i'll have the support,my husband always at work,and i struggle sometimes with my little one

Oh ok then hunnie ...I wish u all the best :)

From what you have posted Australia clearly was not right for you although being unwell could never have been built into any of your plans or projections for your life there.

Why are you staying until December 2016 as a matter of interest? That seems quite a long time. Though maybe an actual end date will be helpful to you. Try to use the time there to see as much as possible of Australia and New Zealand.

From what you have posted Australia clearly was not right for you although being unwell could never have been built into any of your plans or projections for your life there.

Why are you staying until December 2016 as a matter of interest? That seems quite a long time. Though maybe an actual end date will be helpful to you. Try to use the time there to see as much as possible of Australia and New Zealand.

I was wondering that too. Waiting almost two years when you have made your mind up seems a bit odd.

It's because my husband can't leave his job so soon,especially with the debts he needs to pay off..however if things get worse for me,i may have to leave earlier with my daughter. But for now we're saying dec 2016

It's because my husband can't leave his job so soon,especially with the debts he needs to pay off..however if things get worse for me,i may have to leave earlier with my daughter. But for now we're saying dec 2016

Well hopefully having an end date will make you start to feel better, even if it is far in the future.

Hello! I can totally relate to what you are saying about being 'ill' last year I was dig nosed with depression & had counselling which really helped, I kept having panic attacks etc. even though I'm heading back in 3 weeks my IBS has kicked in big style, I haven't suffered with this for about 10 years. In fact I've been feeling like this for 6 months & the only time I felt good was when I did low carb in January so going to have to do that. As for waiting until dec 2016 I think for your health & how you feel you maybe should come home earlier. Good luck xxx

As mentioned, now you've got your date make the most of your time in Oz. It's not for everyone and I can relate to how it plays with your head knowing that you have no safety net, no close mates at hand. Find yourself a british expats meetup - did me the world of good just to have an honest conversation with like minded folk. Good luck! At least you know what's important to you - none of this experience is wasted time

Hello! I can totally relate to what you are saying about being 'ill' last year I was dig nosed with depression & had counselling which really helped, I kept having panic attacks etc. even though I'm heading back in 3 weeks my IBS has kicked in big style, I haven't suffered with this for about 10 years. In fact I've been feeling like this for 6 months & the only time I felt good was when I did low carb in January so going to have to do that. As for waiting until dec 2016 I think for your health & how you feel you maybe should come home earlier. Good luck xxx

Hi..sorry to hear about your ibs,hope you find relief soon...and i wish i could go back home earlier,but i feel bad for leaving my husband here by himself.but if i do feel any worse i will have no choice but to go without him.hopefully it wont get to that

2 weeks holiday in the hot sun is far from having to live in it, to many do not realise how depressing and horrible months of overbearing heat can be, this is never explained to people seeking to go.

True...never thought the heat would ever be unbearable, i love heatwaves back in uk,and always make the most of it.here in oz its really bad,i'm quite tired of it and looking forward to winter.

hi.i would like to thank-you for your honest post .not everyone is "LIVING THE DREAM"out there,i know several people who have felt like you after emigrating. im going to disagree with some because i think 5 month IS long enough to know what you want. you may have situational depression which is having an impact by making your physical symptoms worse. i promise you WILL get this sorted out When you come back to the uk. You will see the country with new eyes .I wish you all the best .

hi.i would like to thank-you for your honest post .not everyone is "LIVING THE DREAM"out there,i know several people who have felt like you after emigrating. im going to disagree with some because i think 5 month IS long enough to know what you want. you may have situational depression which is having an impact by making your physical symptoms worse. i promise you WILL get this sorted out When you come back to the uk. You will see the country with new eyes .I wish you all the best .

Thanks s up north...i really hope i do feel better,past four months have been a nightmare.just want abit of normality.i have no idea if it could be some sort of depression thats causing all this.i just want some relief soon

For or sure I'm not living the dream lol andd I know of many more that are not ....I quite understand where she's coming from actually .

I was saying 5 months if ya hasty and ya want come back .

She may well have depression . Who knows . It could be any number of things . But I perfectly understand where she's coming from . She may well get it sorted when going back uk , she may well not too .

I am most certainly not living a dream lol I was already living it in uk ..I realise that now lol.but now I'm here after making a decision to come and give it a go ...unfortunate too it was bad bad timing , but still .

Noones es saying don't go back , it's people's choice only they can make .

I can certainly relate to her apart from the little kiddie part :) I can relate to most of it anyway

Thanks s up north...i really hope i do feel better,past four months have been a nightmare.just want abit of normality.i have no idea if it could be some sort of depression thats causing all this.i just want some relief soon

You you need go doctors to see if it is depression along time suffer till 2016 dec x

When I eat bread my teeth go numb ...sounds crazy I know but it does ...I'm in so much pain some days I have to drag my ass out of bed wait for a number 2 sounds grose I know ! ...before I can even move some days . I stay clear of bread I'm fine ! Too much choc and yogurt makes me nauseas . I'm very careful what I do eat now :)

True...never thought the heat would ever be unbearable, i love heatwaves back in uk,and always make the most of it.here in oz its really bad,i'm quite tired of it and looking forward to winter.

Bad news I am afraid we have not had a real winter for 3 years, frosty with a lot of sunny cold days but no real winter and little rainfall,......but....the summers have been brilliant, the last 2 years have been really long starting in april and only getting really cold mid november with just a couple of real heatwaves...it ain't a bad place :cute:

Bad news I am afraid we have not had a real winter for 3 years, frosty with a lot of sunny cold days but no real winter and little rainfall,......but....the summers have been brilliant, the last 2 years have been really long starting in april and only getting really cold mid november with just a couple of real heatwaves...it ain't a bad place :cute:

Cold is what im looking forward to

Archived