Funds

Guest51810

I came one way when I visited back in 09. I just got myself a credit card in case of an absolute emergency, which I never ended up using.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came one way when I visited back in 09. I just got myself a credit card in case of an absolute emergency, which I never ended up using.

I've applied for one but I think I've got zero chance of getting it, not because of my credit rating because it's in the green but I stupidly thought that because I've been with santander for a really long time Id be better with them but when I went on money supermarket it said I should have applied for a Barclays one because I had a 9/10 chance of getting that one. Don't think I can apply again once Im probably rejected or else it'll affect my rating more. I'll have to wait a while. I shouldn't be allowed near adult stuff like this :laugh:

Anybody have a clue about Virgin australia? It says they are operated by etihad

Do they mean they code share with Etihad? Etihad have 21% share holding of Virgin - but Singapore Airlines and Air New Zealand have even greater share.

It's been operating in Oz since the year 2000. It's my airline of choice domestically but I have no experience of an international flight with them.

It must be a code share. So far I've narrowed it down to edinburgh to sydney single £570. Or glasgow to dublin to sydney for less than £500 but that's a load of hassle. Or glasgow to Sydney singapore £990 return. Doesn't sound narrowed down but believe me it is lol :laugh:

Hi Stacey.... I have been away for a few months and am only just getting back onto PIO... just read through your thread and I am so pleased that you are getting so close to your dream of visiting Australia. Have to meet up with you if you get to Perth!

Can I suggest that you don't limit yourself by buying a return ticket up front? Our family has had many offspring of UK friends stay with us whilst they were on their WHV, and all of them with the exception of one young man, had bought return tickets and were locked into a departure date. This meant that they either lost quite a lot of money changing their return flight for whatever reason, and/or missed out on the opportunity to work rural and extend their visa by another year. The one young man who had bought a single ticket (and kept the equivalent cost in his UK bank so he had his return fare at any time) was actually offered a job on a cattle station in the NT for 6 months. He had been in Oz for 8 months by this time, so the job qualified him for a second year WHV. You would need to be strong in not using the money you had put aside, but from your posts I am guessing you are a canny Scot with your loot and that would not be a problem for you.

You say that you would be an au pair whilst here... have you looked into this yet as I have heard through friends looking for same, that there is a shortage of good au pairs at the moment. Have a look at this site http://www.aifs.com.au/work-travel-australia/ Also have a google as there seem to be quite a few agencies around and you might be able to register before you get here so you could get a job quicker, and that would cut down the time you were not "earning"! I have no knowledge of this or other agencies, so I am not pushing them... just making you aware of them. As an aside, one of the WHV visitors we had about 10 years ago actually got a job working on a sheep station in NSW as a tutor/child minder. She was there for 3 months (whilst the Mum of the family was in Sydney having major surgery and convalescing) and she supervised the SOTA (School Of The Air) lessons and just looked after the three kids the rest of the time. Full board and lodging and a salary, and apart from the true Australian experience, she has come out of it with lifelong friends.

Australia is an expensive country to live, but after having spent the last few months in UK, my view is that UK is as expensive as Australia. I hadn't been in UK since 2008 and got a total shock at how expensive it was compared to back then. On a par with Oz now I actually think. You sound like a girl who is careful with her money so I am sure you will suss out all the cheaper ways to live and eat and travel. Loving your style Stacey... Rossy :wink:

Hey rossy!

Thanks for your lovely message. I'm 90% sure Im going on a one way now. Mostly because of the reasons you mentioned. I've waited 4 years to travel and I want to try and make the most of it and as was much as I can. Maybe go home via Asia or something like that.

If I could have got a return for like £100 more than single like a few people mentioned then I would have went for it no problem but they were double the price of a single and that's a lot of money to waste if I did decide to stay. I'm usually sensible and I worry a lot so I would like to think I would know when to cut my losses and come home if I can't find work. Also I'm going to leave a separate £650 or £750 for a flight and my family said they would help me out with a few hundred IF they had to but I'm hoping it wouldn't come to that. The STA travel guy said to me the same thing as you - he went on a return and he changed it a few times but it was a pain and then he didn't stay and regretted it now.

Yeah I've looked into some agencies and there's also loads of au pair facebook pages that I'm on. I guess the downside with the pages is that they haven't been vetted but there's so many families on there and you can meet each other in a cafe or wherever to see how you get on plus other au pairs give references. I'll check out the one you just put up :) Wow that sounds like she had a interesting trip! I've thought about maybe doing a short trip to a station and doing one of these helpx type placements. I don't know if Id be cut out for living on it for months but might be cool to see how it is for a few weeks. I actually got chatting to a guy from NSW on helpx a few years ago. He lives on a farm and he said they used to take backpackers sometimes so you never know! Other than that I might just do a year in Australia and hop over to New Zealand for a month or 2 or if I love it then get a WHV if I have the funds

• 4 months later...

Well I'm coming with just over $7000. No as much as I hoped for but I did spend a lot getting organised etc. I should have more the following month when I get my pension and tax refund but I might just keep that in my UK account for flight/emergency.

Im hoping it'll be enough till I find work :unsure: