Visa Agent requirements

Ambrose

Hi all quick query, just got off the phone with my Visa Agent (MARA certified) and along with Work PaySlips she's asked me to send her a photocpoy of my Passport and Birth Certficate. Having been a victim of Identity Theft before you'd understand that I'm a bit dubious about sending that sort of information out, are they absolutley necessary at this time? I need to find a Job first before i can apply for the Visa (457) so simply just asking if it is OK to send them, just a bit worried that's all.

Thanks

My agent has all this information from me and we are not ready to submit for our 189's yet. I honestly wouldn't worry that anything untowards will happen with your stuff but if you feel so strongly about it then I suggest an open and honest discussion with your agent about your fears xx

Hi all quick query, just got off the phone with my Visa Agent (MARA certified) and along with Work PaySlips she's asked me to send her a photocpoy of my Passport and Birth Certficate. Having been a victim of Identity Theft before you'd understand that I'm a bit dubious about sending that sort of information out, are they absolutley necessary at this time? I need to find a Job first before i can apply for the Visa (457) so simply just asking if it is OK to send them, just a bit worried that's all.

Thanks

It would be difficult to get help if you don't provide those details. Unless you want to only give the passport numbers etc. And explain that you don't want to give a photo copy.

Thanks

Well you are going to have to send them to somebody at some point or you won't get a visa.

But I agree with MaggieMay, without even a job, I really would not be bothering with an agent right now. Chances are you won't find a sponsor anyway, no reflection on you of course but not many people can.

Thanks

A copy of your Passport is a very basic requirement when the Agent is going to be representing you in a visa application. Aside from that fact, Agents do need to establish your identity also - to be sure that you are in fact who you say you are. Requirements for lawyers to ensure that they have confirmed their client's identity are even more strict.

Confirming a client's identity is of course more difficult if the agent or lawyer has not met the client in person (so cannot ask to see original document and compare to the person sitting in front of them, so asking for other evidence of identity is not unreasonable to establish your identity to the agent... though yes, the birth cert is not needed at this stage for the assistance or advice to be provided to you at this stage. I would think that the agent is asking for it to help confirm your identity to the agent, and because the agent knows that the birth cert will be needed in any event later on for the visa application.

Sorry to hear that you have been the victim of identity fraud in the past. It is good to be alert to the question as to who you do provide identity documents to and for what reason you do so.. but in this case, copy of passport at least I think should be expected, even right at the very start of appointing the agent. While the visa application is not being lodged yet, the agent does need to establish your identity when you become a client.

...if you feel so strongly about it then I suggest an open and honest discussion with your agent about your fears xx

An excellent suggestion. You are entitled to ask why it is needed, what your concerns are, how your identity documents will be safeguarded - what protections are in place, who will have access to it, etc. You are entitled to know that your identity documents are securely stored. If you are not satisfied with the safeguards in place, then as someone suggested, find another agent that you are happy with. Ultimately if you do proceed with a visa application, you will be agreeing to provide all of these identity documents and more to DIBP.

If you haven't even found a job yet, I wouldn't be doing anything with a migration agent that gave them the ability to bill me.

You should have a written contract with the agent which sets out when and for what the agent can bill you. Agents are required to set out in a written contract in advance what you will be billed for. Without a signed contract the agent may not be entitled to claim any fee. Have a discussion with your agent about how and when and for what you will be charged. If you are not happy, hold off until when you are ready to proceed with visa application, but it Is often beneficial to have the agent engaged from as early as possible.

Just my thoughts on the various comments!

Archived