Flights from Melbourne to UK At Christmas Time

AnxiousMum

Hi,

We are still only talking about moving out to OZ at the moment, (nothing changed) mainly because I am still to anxious to go!!!!

I have been checking flights from Melbourne to UK at christmas and its soooo expensive. I dont think we could afford to come back to see relatives at that time of year? That would completely break my heart not to see them. Does anyone know is it actually cheaper to find flights back to UK once you are in Melbourne. Search Engines just seem to come up with flights TO Melbourne not many to take you out of Melbourne back to UK. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.:realmad:

Hi

We have found that flights from Oz to the UK are generally more expensive than the other way round. You dont say how much the flights you were looking at cost but just to compare we have booked flights back Syd - Heathrow in Nov for 3 weeks and they cost $1900 each. These were with www.sta.com.au its a student website but if you ring them they can sort something out for you even though you're not students. The next cheapest I could find was about $2300.

Sam x

Guest adey

Christmas unfortunately is the most expensive time to fly both out of and into Australia - we've just been looking for our family coming over at chrissy and the prices double from about 4 December. You must remember that this is the biggest holiday over here and the kids have 8 weeks off so prices go up for everything related to hols at that time.

Why not get family to come to you I'm sure they'll love an excuse to miss their cold winters and enjoy your hot summer?!?

Don't let it stop you coming over though ok its strange having a hot chrissy and being far from family but think of the joy of getting up on chrissy day and being able to go down the beach and watch dolphins - that was my best ever christmas present for our first chrissy in Oz

Guest adey

Christmas unfortunately is the most expensive time to fly both out of and into Australia - we've just been looking for our family coming over at chrissy and the prices double from about 4 December. You must remember that this is the biggest holiday over here and the kids have 8 weeks off so prices go up for everything related to hols at that time.

Why not get family to come to you I'm sure they'll love an excuse to miss their cold winters and enjoy your hot summer?!?

Don't let it stop you coming over though ok its strange having a hot chrissy and being far from family but think of the joy of getting up on chrissy day and being able to go down the beach and watch dolphins - that was my best ever christmas present for our first chrissy in Oz and we drank champagne when we got home and sat outside in the alfresco and then phoned home all evening and went on the good old webcam (a must when you move).

sArah

Thanks for all your comments. I am always pleasantly surprised people are genuinely interested in what you are doing. And they want to help. Thanks again.

Maybe could think about saving up most of year (when we know we want to come back that particular xmas) that way not so much a shock.

Guest caroline

Hi,

I have just booked my tickets back to UK from Sydney for december. Yes, the flights are expensive for a number of reasons. Firstly, flights in general are more expensive buying them here in Oz - some people consider buying a one-way ticket to the UK then return flights as the return journey can be delayed for up to a year. A problem with this is that you need to be super organised and know when you are going back!

This year they were expecting the arrival of the new air buses. As they have been delayed, there is a shortage of seats available, especially at Christmas, thus more expensive prices to boot. Also fuel tax has increased the price of tickets.

Some websites that I used for cheaper tickets were:

Direct Flights Booking - Cheap Airfares and Holiday Packages Australia, Book Domestic & International Airline Tickets, Hotels, Car Hire, Cruises & Travel Insurance Online

Cheap flights, cheap accommodation, cheap travel insurance for students and everyone. Go Round the world with STA TRAVEL | STA TRAVEL | Home - although they are a student travel company you don't need to be a student to book with them.

Hope this helps,

Caroline

If you are coming here during the year and plan to go home for Christmas - perhaps you could buy a return ticket and then buy either a single or another return for departure from UK after Christmas. I guess it all depends on the length of time you will have been here. It seems that costs are less for trips from Uk to Aus rather than the other way round.

Whichever you go with, join the frequent flyer program so you can get the benefit.

Guest jogrant3232

Christmas is the most expensive time of the year. Its Summer and Christmas at the same time. Ive told my family Im moving Christmas to July when we are there. The flights will be so much cheaper either way!

Archived