Finding a job in Aus on 309 visa

bobby122

This is a way in the future for me, but just wondered if anyone had experiences of job hunting on a 309 visa. Did you have any problems because it's described as temporary? Even though as far as I'm aware it holds same working rights as the 100.

The reason to ask is I just saw a job advertised that said 'To be eligible to apply, you must have Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency status"

good question! I'd be keen to hear what others have to say.

I am surprised to see that people are asking for PR or citizens only, but I guess it means their employee won't potentially lose their visa when going from 309 to 100. But I'd have thought doing temp jobs or short term contracts wouldn't make a different between citizen/PR or temporary visa holder.

EDIT: what's the vacancy you saw advertised?

Can they do that though? I understand government jobs maybe but why can't someone on a 309 visa with full Australian working rights, work in a bank?

There are a couple of senarios going on here. Some companies are only looking to employ permanant residence as a way of deterring working visa holders which are temporary. Others are ok with that and specify You must have the right to work in Australia.

As for the UK im sure its similar. Employers dont wont to spend time and money training a temp visitor, however i think it depends on the employer/ industry.

i recently met the my migrant banker in London who is employed on a 2 year working visa with an Australian bank, (no issues).

It was a customer advisor role at NAB :/

I got a job at NAB in 2009 when on a 309 visa, before getting 'official' perm residence. I'm sure I had some documentation/letter which confirmed I was eligible to work.

Still here 5 years later, now a citizen...

When I was on a 309 I found that it helped to put on my resume that the visa was 'provisional, leading to PR through marriage to an Aussie citizen'. I avoided the word temporary! It worked, I had several jobs while on it, for places like RACQ. Eventually I got a temprary job for the government - some state governments will employ temp visa holders in temp positions.

Archived