CO vs Direct Grant - the actual process

Guest spreadingwings

Guest spreadingwings

Hi everyone

Am I correct in thinking that the CO vs Direct Grant works as follows:

CO: your are notified of a CO being assigned to your case - at some point, sometimes immediately, you are asked for X additional documents, you submit the documents, after X days you receive a grant (or not, worst case)

Direct Grant: you never hear back on your application until receiving a grant letter - you aren't notified of a CO being assigned to your case, and no one makes contact in between application and grant letter

Is this correct, or are there times that you may receive notification of a CO being assigned to your case, but the CO asks for nothing extra, and then proceeds to grant? Would this be classified as a direct grant as well?

It depends what visa you are applying for, but in most cases you are not notified that a case officer has been assigned.

If the application is incomplete you will receive a request for further information. If no further information is necessary you will receive a decision notification.

Hi everyone

Am I correct in thinking that the CO vs Direct Grant works as follows:

CO: your are notified of a CO being assigned to your case - at some point, sometimes immediately, you are asked for X additional documents, you submit the documents, after X days you receive a grant (or not, worst case)

Direct Grant: you never hear back on your application until receiving a grant letter - you aren't notified of a CO being assigned to your case, and no one makes contact in between application and grant letter

Is this correct, or are there times that you may receive notification of a CO being assigned to your case, but the CO asks for nothing extra, and then proceeds to grant? Would this be classified as a direct grant as well?

In your last thread asking the same question you told me COs no longer existed and were now VPOs or something:confused:

Guest spreadingwings
In your last thread asking the same question you told me COs no longer existed and were now VPOs or something:confused:

After your reaction, I decided to keep to CO to avoid the same debate. VPO is accurate, but CO is the more widely-recognised because it's been around for longer.

Guest spreadingwings
Direct grant isn't an actual formal process. It's simply that you've provided everything your CO needed so they didn't need to contact you before finalising your visa.

So the question then is: does every applicant receive notification of a CO being assigned, with some being contacted further and some receiving a grant?

So the question then is: does every applicant receive notification of a CO being assigned, with some being contacted further and some receiving a grant?

No, i think some just the visa grant (which comes by email), and others get asked for more info. Some Mara agents advise not doing medicals until contacted, so that would be a typical case of being contacted by a case officer.

It largely makes little difference anyway. For most cases, it's the difference between being granted a visa straight away, or waiting a short time. End result is pretty much the same, then it's done! Not worth sweating over (unless, of course, you have done it all wrong...)

I remember being stressed, but it was fine. the time to think is before you do you do your EOI/Application. After this time, it's just a waiting game.

After your reaction, I decided to keep to CO to avoid the same debate. VPO is accurate, but CO is the more widely-recognised because it's been around for longer.

Don't get that, my reaction was just that its the first I'd heard of it. If you're correct then we all need to change our terminology, same as when DIAC became DIBP.

Anyway, they contact you if they want something, if they don't want anything, they don't contact you. They are too busy to contact you just to say 'Hi' :)

Guest spreadingwings
Anyway, they contact you if they want something, if they don't want anything, they don't contact you. They are too busy to contact you just to say 'Hi' :)

I'm with you :) But someone I know has been notified that a CO has been allocated, but they haven't asked for any docs. Chances are, they won't. So what's the point of notifying someone that a CO has been allocated if the CO doesn't need anything extra before granting the visa?

Some countries won't send PCCs to the applicant though. Instead they ask for the address of an institution requiring the PCCs.

If CO hasn't been allocated, how does one know where to instruct the police dept to send the PCC?

I have never heard of anybody been contacted just to be told a CO has been assigned. People only hear from the CO if the CO require something, or to advise to proceed to medicals and police checks.

Some countries won't send PCCs to the applicant though. Instead they ask for the address of an institution requiring the PCCs.

If CO hasn't been allocated, how does one know where to instruct the police dept to send the PCC?

If the PCC hasn't been sent, then a CO will get in touch. The 'direct grant' only happens when they have all the documents/supporting evidence need. I think you could probably upload a note with your other documents expaining that a PCC has to come and they will need to know where to send it. Look on the site (if you are worried that this will slow things down).

Also, I think PCCs could get sent to the main immigration processing place in Canberra with your reference on, and they should send it on to the regional branch for processing.

It depends on the embassy. Some embassy's do contact applicants to advise them that a CO has been allocated and it's also generally within a certain time frame. But mostly you never find out unless they want something or your advised your visa has been granted/refused.

Archived