Flights and airlines

Aaronspark

Been looking at flights since we had our visas granted. Always look on skyscanner. Is there any other sites worth looking at for good prices?

Also, would like to hear experiences, good or bad, for the different airlines they've used when travelling to Oz? Malaysia airline have been coming up cheapest in August. Etihad not far behind. Is it worth paying a bit more for a decent airline??

Been looking at flights since we had our visas granted. Always look on skyscanner. Is there any other sites worth looking at for good prices?

Also, would like to hear experiences, good or bad, for the different airlines they've used when travelling to Oz? Malaysia airline have been coming up cheapest in August. Etihad not far behind. Is it worth paying a bit more for a decent airline??

Hi Aaronspark

We've flown with Qantas, Royal Brunei, Cathay Pacific and Malaysia Airlines. We didn't have any problems with any of them, all were absolutely fine in my opinion. Cathay Pacific and Malaysia Airlines had really good leg room I seem to remember and cabin crew were all really nice. Royal Brunei don't serve alcohol on the flight although I believe you can take your own booze on board. That was never an issue for me because I very rarely drink anyway. Food on board these flights was as you'd expect - all eatable and filled a hole, maybe not something you'd want to live on forever but hey, it's airline food! We are hoping to fly to Oz again later this year when hopefully our visas are granted and will probably be looking at Malaysia airlines or Cathay Pacific - Royal Brunei don't fly to Brisbane anymore so they will be out for us.

regards

maisie

Try Momondo.com.I used this website recently and their prices were good actually compared to skyscanner.I've flown to Oz with various airlines but my favourite atm is Emirates.I had a fab flight last year,entertainment was excellent,staff fantastic,and cannot fault the airline at all.I will definitely use this airline again.

http://www.dialaflight.com/

http://www.cheapticket.co.uk/

http://www.ebookers.com/

http://www.kayak.co.uk/flights

http://www.trailfinders.com/

http://www.statravel.co.uk/

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Despite looking on all those, we got the deal we wanted by booking directly with Singapore Airlines - as it was slightly cheaper, plus we got a deal on a stopover hotel for a break on the way. Other posters on here have said they got good deal on Emirates this way too, so try direct too.

Good luck!

We had a brilliant flight with Emirates. Really good service, lovely attendants. Then we booked etihad, awful experience and we would never book with them again. We were informed at check in that our onward flight from Abu Dhabi to Sydney was delayed by 7 hours. When we got there we had to go through passport control and security to be taken to a hotel to wait for our flight, then they collected us and took us back only for us to have to wait another 4 hours. When we eventually got to Sydney we had missed our connecting flight to Townsville and had to stay in Sydney overnight and fly first thing. We ended up arriving over 24 hours later than planned. Don't even get me started on the service on the Abu Dhabi to Sydney leg with Virgin Australia, it was terrible. Rude staff, they ignored the bells and then got really cross when I went to the back to ask for a drink as they had ignored the bell twice. Never again.

Wow that sounds pretty awful PL! I once flew with an airline where the staff were rude.Its not like they're working the "whole"shift on long hauls.They do sleep! The lady next to me was having trouble with her headset and rang the bell.Wow the air hostess looked pretty annoyed,marched off to find another set and practically threw them in the womans lap!I don't think I saw the crew smile once on the flight,and the meal/drinks service was over and done with as quick as possible,like it was a huge inconvenience!The thing is,when you fly somewhere your holiday starts at the airport.When you board the flight you expect to be treated nicely,served with a smile,and nothing should be too much trouble.(And as far as I know the crew don't know whether you're on holiday or emigrating)These days its getting harder and harder to get really good quality service.

Been on 3 airline comparison flights now and Singapore airlines have come up top in the available airlines we've been looking at. We could fly with Malaysia airline for about £300/£400 cheaper but it's a bit of a mixed bag review wise. Emirates were nearly a grand dearer. Flown to Oz last time with Emirates and they were great but not prepared to pay a grand more than Singapore when the reviews are looking good for them. Don't want to just go with the cheapest eve as it could put a dampener on the trip over, like you said Jacaranda it's the start of the Holiday

I booked flights back to the UK for Xmas and found skyscanner to be more expensive than going to the airlines sites directly. Singapore airlines were nearly $1,000 cheaper direct than on skyscanner. I always prefer to go direct to the airline site or through a travel agent as it just feels more secure and definite or something.

More welsh people on PIO @Pinkestlady - we are from Wrexham. for the next 3.5 months anyway...

Hi again! We've spoken before lol! We are in Caernarfon so not too far from you guys. We ar also hoping to make the move around the same time as you guys. Assuming we get the magic email next month. Fingers crossed!!!

Been on 3 airline comparison flights now and Singapore airlines have come up top in the available airlines we've been looking at. We could fly with Malaysia airline for about £300/£400 cheaper but it's a bit of a mixed bag review wise. Emirates were nearly a grand dearer. Flown to Oz last time with Emirates and they were great but not prepared to pay a grand more than Singapore when the reviews are looking good for them. Don't want to just go with the cheapest eve as it could put a dampener on the trip over, like you said Jacaranda it's the start of the Holiday

Thats really good, make sure to sign up for KrisFlyer loyalty scheme, if you fly once a year or more or book for others you get miles and can use against flights later. I used them to go over last April and again for this November, I should have enough points to pay for my one way ticket when I make the perm move the following year :)

I think you can back date a certain amount as well, but you would have to confirm this with them.

We had a brilliant flight with Emirates. Really good service, lovely attendants. Then we booked etihad, awful experience and we would never book with them again. We were informed at check in that our onward flight from Abu Dhabi to Sydney was delayed by 7 hours. When we got there we had to go through passport control and security to be taken to a hotel to wait for our flight, then they collected us and took us back only for us to have to wait another 4 hours. When we eventually got to Sydney we had missed our connecting flight to Townsville and had to stay in Sydney overnight and fly first thing. We ended up arriving over 24 hours later than planned. Don't even get me started on the service on the Abu Dhabi to Sydney leg with Virgin Australia, it was terrible. Rude staff, they ignored the bells and then got really cross when I went to the back to ask for a drink as they had ignored the bell twice. Never again.

Agree, virgin have not impressed me whenever i have flown with them, their seating quality is also very poor v. Hard

I would definitely recommend Singapore airlines, especially if they have their stopover deal on, i recommend a stopover for a couple of days in Singapore as it makes the whole journey more bearable, emirates is very good, but dubai i do not feel is as good for a stopover, it is always about booking early to get the best price, the airlines put a limited no of tickets out on deals at the beginning of the travel periods, its important to find out the season dates because a change of a few days can put you in a diff price bracket.

It can pay to look at the airline website as they have special deals like stopover deals.

Are Travelbag still around, they used to be good especially their phone booking for 2 or 3 leg bookings.

Flight prices found on Travelsupermarket website with Malaysian which came up really cheap. Then phoned The Flight Centre who beat the cheapest deal. They guarantee to beat it or you fly free. Ended up with 2 one way tickets to Melbourne for £395 each.

Flight prices found on Travelsupermarket website with Malaysian which came up really cheap. Then phoned The Flight Centre who beat the cheapest deal. They guarantee to beat it or you fly free. Ended up with 2 one way tickets to Melbourne for £395 each.

That's cheap!Does that price include taxes?

I would definitely recommend Singapore airlines, especially if they have their stopover deal on, i recommend a stopover for a couple of days in Singapore as it makes the whole journey more bearable, emirates is very good, but dubai i do not feel is as good for a stopover, it is always about booking early to get the best price, the airlines put a limited no of tickets out on deals at the beginning of the travel periods, its important to find out the season dates because a change of a few days can put you in a diff price bracket.

It can pay to look at the airline website as they have special deals like stopover deals.

Are Travelbag still around, they used to be good especially their phone booking for 2 or 3 leg bookings.

Hi. Just been looking into these stopover deals with Singapore Airlines. Have you tried it yourself? If so, would you recommend it for children too? Might be nice to break it up a bit as the last leg to Brisbane isn't as long a flight either. They have stopover holidays on their site with or without attractions. Not too sure what the attractions include yet. Any ideas?

Archived