Family assistance

Live4today

Hi fellow poms In oz members,

we have perm residency 190 visa and was doing some research this afternoon And looked up the family assistance calculator. I filled in the details as best as I could based on my other half's salary approx $55000 (what we think it will be) and I'm sure I've probably filled it in wrong! Wasn't sure which boxes to tick for some questions etc. but anyway the estimated family assistance and rental assistance figure came out as $536 a fortnight. Can anyone just shed some light on if this sounds like the correct sort of figure? Just seems a bit high to me! Obviously won't complain. If it's correct:wink:

Thanks everyone in advance!

ps we have 2 children and didn't fill in a salary for Myself as I'm not sure how the while childcare rebate works if I had 2 kids in childcare (both are preschool age). But I imagine I would earn approx similar to my husband

Yes we will probably be in the same boat then as we would also be paying for 2 childcare places which after the rebate would equate to one childcare place we would have to pay the full amount for. Thought that would be the case, but hey we will feel quite rich when all the children are at school and I'm working again!

Be very careful when you do claim that you don't underestimate the wage as they are very tough if they've overpaid you. You have to estimate at the start of the year. $55,000 is quite a low wage, remember to calculate in any overtime and bonuses ( this may not be known until he actually starts work )

I used to find it was best to overestimate as come the end of the year when you do tax returns they will pay you the remainder in a lump sum anyway. Much better than ending up owing them.

Cal x

Wish I'd thought of that. I had to pay back twice as I didn't estimate overtime, and each time they wanted payment in full just before Christmas! Good tip.

Thanks everyone. Just thought the fortnightly figure seemed quite high and wondered if anyone else on a similar or even higher wage receives around this amount or have I completely filled on the estimate calculator wrong? Will definitely overestimate when we do arrive, not long to go!!!

Thanks everyone. Just thought the fortnightly figure seemed quite high and wondered if anyone else on a similar or even higher wage receives around this amount or have I completely filled on the estimate calculator wrong? Will definitely overestimate when we do arrive, not long to go!!!

The fortnightly figure is a bit high, but $55,000 is a low wage. However, if you work then of course it will change.

Thanks for the advice peeps! Yes it is a low wage but think it's the best we are probably going to get in his line of work, just telling myself that it will only be for a few years until I can go back full time. Then we will really appreciate the extra income I'm sure!

That seems a little high to me (but I only have one). The calculator over estimated how much we would get. We are now earning less than I guessed and still not getting as much as it originally told me.

And if you do work, earning around the same wage you will get hardly anything.

And then today I had a letter to say they have over paid rent assistance. They set the amount, so no idea how they did that. Our earnings haven't gone up. Of course they want some back. :-/

If you decide to buy a house of course you won't then get rent assistance.

Yes we will probably be in the same boat then as we would also be paying for 2 childcare places which after the rebate would equate to one childcare place we would have to pay the full amount for. ...

This would only be the case if you use childcare half the week. There is an annual cap on the 50% rebate so you do not get 50% if a child is in care 5 days a week. Only roughly the first 2.5 days...you would also be eligible for some childcare benefit as well (which is different to the 50% childcare rebate).

Based on my experience (3 children and only one of us works) that figure would look about right. I would also say make sure you know exactly what you are entitled to as they are very good at underpaying you! I guess they assume everyone states their salary is lower than it actually is. You would get it back after you have done your tax return but when you have just emigrated and need all the cash you can get it can be very frustrating.

Based on my experience (3 children and only one of us works) that figure would look about right. I would also say make sure you know exactly what you are entitled to as they are very good at underpaying you! I guess they assume everyone states their salary is lower than it actually is. You would get it back after you have done your tax return but when you have just emigrated and need all the cash you can get it can be very frustrating.

My advice is the opposite.

There are far more cases of over payment, it is best to over estimate income, to avoid incurring a repayment. Australia has a very good welfare program and not many countries would offer family assistance.

My advice is the opposite.

There are far more cases of over payment, it is best to over estimate income, to avoid incurring a repayment. Australia has a very good welfare program and not many countries would offer family assistance.

To be clear I was not suggesting that the OP underestimate their salary. Only that they make sure they get the correct fortnightly payments. They should estimate their salary as close as possible. My salary was exact (it does not vary) and I get the maximum fortnightly payments under the calculation criteria. I still get a rebate after I have done my tax return.

Archived