Looking for solution to getting a friend sponsored...It's a puzzle

lynnstspro

We used to have a business in Sydney and a young Turkish couple (the husband worked for us) became our close friends.

They married in Sydney and we were unaware that she overstayed her visa. He then overstayed his visa too and finally they both handed themselves into authorities.

They were taken to Villawood detention centre and a decision was made that they be allowed to go back to Turkey. We paid for their return tickets and they were allwed to stay with us for the 10 days prior to departure.

They were subject to the normal 3 year exclusion from returning to Australia.

We are interested in having this couple come back to Australia and sponsoring them (or him) as we have a country hotel and we can trust them.

My question is... I need a cook. Can he come over here and study to be a cook, have me sponsor him? If so what visa should he apply for? He is Thailand at the moment teaching English and she is in Turkey as her father just passed away.

His current qualifications are as a sound technician and she is a journalist. I can't see how their current qualifications and my needs in the hotel match up. That's why I came up with a cook.

When can his wife join him?

How do I find an institution to train him? What courses does he need to do?

Their exclusion is over in March 2015.

Does anyone have a better or simpler idea?

They can apply for a student visa. I think cert 3 is the minimum needed for employer sponsorship. But check that. Google tafe. Courses are mega expensive for international students and neither of them could work for more than 20 hours a week. And then you would have to see if your business could pass all the requirements to sponsor someone.

The last thing is, that for a student visa they want convincing that you are not planning on staying. So might be worth not mentioning the long term plan. Also, realising that rules change literally over night. Just because it would be possible now, doesn't mean it will be by the time they finish the course.

IMO I think you are going to have a very hard time convincing IMMI that they will be genuine i.e that they will leave at the end of their course given their past immigration history e.g

They have had a 3 year ban

Their ban is literally just about to end and they are looking to come straight back

They are looking to study something completely unrelated to their past education

This provides some more info:

https://www.immi.gov.au/students/gte-requirement.htm

This other link gives you information on what it means to be a dependent on a student visa (which his wife would be) and what institutions are eligible for him to study in:

http://www.immi.gov.au/About/Pages/media/fact-sheets/fact-sheet-50.aspx

We used to have a business in Sydney and a young Turkish couple (the husband worked for us) became our close friends.

They married in Sydney and we were unaware that she overstayed her visa. He then overstayed his visa too and finally they both handed themselves into authorities.

They were taken to Villawood detention centre and a decision was made that they be allowed to go back to Turkey. We paid for their return tickets and they were allwed to stay with us for the 10 days prior to departure.

They were subject to the normal 3 year exclusion from returning to Australia.

We are interested in having this couple come back to Australia and sponsoring them (or him) as we have a country hotel and we can trust them.

My question is... I need a cook. Can he come over here and study to be a cook, have me sponsor him? If so what visa should he apply for? He is Thailand at the moment teaching English and she is in Turkey as her father just passed away.

His current qualifications are as a sound technician and she is a journalist. I can't see how their current qualifications and my needs in the hotel match up. That's why I came up with a cook.

When can his wife join him?

How do I find an institution to train him? What courses does he need to do?

Their exclusion is over in March 2015.

Does anyone have a better or simpler idea?

They need to enrol in a CRICOS accredited course to be eligible for a student visa. See here.

They may find it difficult meeting the genuine student criteria of a student visa. Research this area carefully.

Chose the course carefully as there is a huge difference between the quality offered from different schools.

Be careful obtaining advice from Education Agents especially in regards to Immigration matters.

Archived