applying for partner Visa, I have a disabled son Aussie by descent

Fairview70

Hoping for advise, my husband is Australian by birth and has an Aussie passport. There doesn't seem to be a problem getting citizenship by descent for the children, he is listed as Australian on their birth certificates. Therefore the three of them could I believe go to Aussie without any problems. I however am English and have to apply for a Partner visa. Looking at the form it appears that all four of us have to pass the medical. That's the problem my son has a rare chromosome disorder(Potocki lupski syndrome), Autism and severe learning difficulties basically he'll never be independent. Given that the 3 of them could just hope on a plane without me. Do they still need to Take/pass the medical, for me to go? if no-one knows do you know who I can ask before I fork out the £2,600(Yikes!).

The forms are totally ambiguous! If I could get a job rewriting the Aus immigration application forms so that everything was explained and clear, I would love it! I'm applying for the spouse visa too but getting my kids citizenship by descent first. They are entitled to live there so no they don't need the medical. Hope that helps.

It is confusing - but the kids don't belong on the forum under "migrating dependents" NOR under "non-migrating dependents" - just where it asks for family members. Putting them under either of those dependent categories will trigger the system to think they need a visa and you'll be requested to get medicals, etc. for them which they don't need as citizens (as correctly stated above! :)). They really do need a better way to account for kids with their own citizenship. It's way too confusing for people in that situation who think "Hey, my kids are dependent on me, I should list them here!" (a perfectly logical conclusion to draw, but completely incorrect, heh. :))

When you read the guidance notes for the definition of a dependent it sounds like our kids should be counted in! They really need a sentence saying 'Excluding those with their own Australian citizenship '. So many spouse visa applicants must have kids with their aus partner. They must get questions about it all the time!

I've only listed them under children and have ticked no for migrating with me. Then at the end in the notes put not migrating with me for the purposes of this form however will be traveling together, as Aussie citizens entering on Aussie passports. Hopefully that will cover it. Many thanks to you all for your help.

Archived