457 Visa Requirements help please

birdy990

Hi Everyone,

My husband is a bricklayer and Mcdonald-Jones are currently offering sponsorship for Bricklayers. They are currently completing reference checks and we should hear back in a couple of days.

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions of what we will need to apply for the 457 Visa, I have done a lot of reading, but there just doesn't seem to be a definitive yes or no answer to the following:

1. Does hubby need to do an IELTS test? he was born in the UK and has lived here all his life, however never completed secondary school so doesn't have any GCSE's to prove his level of English.

2. I have read that Bricklayers do not need to complete a skills assessment, is this right? He doesn't have NVQ in Bricklaying, he is "time served" with over 10 years experience.

3. It says that he needs to prove the last 5 years of self employment, well of course this time 5 years ago we were in a very bad recession and his work was on and off. He has done his tax returns, but this doesn't show who he was working for and when. We also don't have 5 years worth of references as those of you who know, bricklayers move around sites... a lot!!

Any help would be much appreciated, if there is anything anyone thinks I have missed off, please feel free to mention it!!

Thanks

Natalie

Hi Everyone,

My husband is a bricklayer and Mcdonald-Jones are currently offering sponsorship for Bricklayers. They are currently completing reference checks and we should hear back in a couple of days.

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions of what we will need to apply for the 457 Visa, I have done a lot of reading, but there just doesn't seem to be a definitive yes or no answer to the following:

1. Does hubby need to do an IELTS test? he was born in the UK and has lived here all his life, however never completed secondary school so doesn't have any GCSE's to prove his level of English.

2. I have read that Bricklayers do not need to complete a skills assessment, is this right? He doesn't have NVQ in Bricklaying, he is "time served" with over 10 years experience.

3. It says that he needs to prove the last 5 years of self employment, well of course this time 5 years ago we were in a very bad recession and his work was on and off. He has done his tax returns, but this doesn't show who he was working for and when. We also don't have 5 years worth of references as those of you who know, bricklayers move around sites... a lot!!

Any help would be much appreciated, if there is anything anyone thinks I have missed off, please feel free to mention it!!

Thanks

Natalie

I am sorry I cant help with the answers to your questions but just wanted to ask would you not rather apply for the 190 skilled visa so you could stay permanently instead of having to return home in 4 years? Safer to incase anything went wrong with the job he would lose the visa? Bit longer to get and a bit more expensive in the long run but worth it so you could settle?

If I understand correctly, people only do IELTS to get extra points when applying for a skills assessment.

For a 457 you get nominated by the employer, it's not points-based. So there is no skills assessment.

For a 457:

1. IELTS is not required if the applicant has a passport from UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Ireland

2. Skills assessment is only required if the occupation is in a nominated occupation (bricklayer is not) and the applicant is from a nominated country (UK is not). So he doesn't need a skills assessment.

3. Can't help with this one, sorry

Hi @ihanabell We first saw for the job last Tuesday and emailed David Cambell to say that we were interested. He asked us for hubby's CV which we sent ovewr, and the next day got an email from a lady called Tory asking us for references and to fill out a form. They contacted our references the same day they received them and we had an email today to say that they have them back and David and Tory will be touch next week to progress the application. They do seem to be on the ball and are very quick to react. I did ask early on what type of wage it is, however they haven't responded to that yet. I would have ideally liked to find out about that before anything else as if its not a good wage, we wouldn't bother going through all the rigmarole.

On no.3 I think as long as you can show a weekly wage going in for the period you'll be fine. My OH is going for the 189 and had his own business before his current employer. They wanted company accounts as proof that he was indeed working but we didn't have them. Instead our agent has asked us to provide bank statements to cover that period, not for every month but just a few over the course of each year. Hope this helps xx

Yes,i had some contact with them a couple of weeks back and the salary is 50-60k including super .I have reservations about why they are recruiting so far away and if they run out of work will they drop you like a stone.I have worked over there and know how some Aussie builders operate.

Regards

On no.3 I think as long as you can show a weekly wage going in for the period you'll be fine. My OH is going for the 189 and had his own business before his current employer. They wanted company accounts as proof that he was indeed working but we didn't have them. Instead our agent has asked us to provide bank statements to cover that period, not for every month but just a few over the course of each year. Hope this helps xx

Archived