House Break ins

stokie33

Looking at moving to the gold coast area but a bit concerned about police stats on break ins looks like this is on the up.Your advice would be appreciated I'm i worring to much about nothing.

Are you looking at specific suburb stats or the GC as a whole. It is over 1300 km2.

My husband and I have a long standing joke about the crime levels on the GC... if they start to report on the local news of a hold up, hostage situation, stabbing, drug raid etc etc 8 times out of 10 its on the GC! Of course there are good and bad parts - like there are everywhere, but in my experience is enough to convince me that we'll never move to live in that direction...

My job brings me into contact with this. Things to note...

1, most break-ins are to older housing stock ie Queenslanders etc as they are soft targets especialially the under house storage.

2, houses are much more open here especially during hot days

3, most house thefts are opportunist, people walking by seeing a door open etc.

4, nearly all thefts I have seen are during the day, only more professional jobs are by night and are rare.

Just be sensible, theft is not a big issue.

S

My job brings me into contact with this. Things to note...

1, most break-ins are to older housing stock ie Queenslanders etc as they are soft targets especialially the under house storage.

2, houses are much more open here especially during hot days

3, most house thefts are opportunist, people walking by seeing a door open etc.

4, nearly all thefts I have seen are during the day, only more professional jobs are by night and are rare.

Just be sensible, theft is not a big issue.

S

If you live in a suburb with a high crime rate, you will pay more for your insurance - including contents insurance if you are a renter. Presume it's the same everywhere. It should be possible to get statistics on crime rates in different suburbs.

We live about 7 ks from the CBD. All the houses around here have bars on the windows, most have Crimsafe doors. Plenty of dogs, too. I have two. A little one who is a hunter/killer with eyes, ears and nose to match, and a much bigger herder who provides backup. Nothing moves around here without a warning woof. Basically you have to make your house a hard target. Too much shubbery is not a good idea, for example, if your house is not secure.

Now in the UK,they are breaking in to steal the dog!!

Well, here in Brazil the criminals hijack your car with you still inside and tour a few ATMs so they can withdraw your bank accounts clean. Afterwards they either leave you alone in the middle of a favela, if your lucky, or just downright shoot you if you are not. Oh, not to mention a recent trend where some nice fellows were invading dentist's offices, tying the dentists to their chairs and setting them on fire. Who knows what they had against dentists, though. All in all, I think I'll be better off anywhere else.

Archived