Woop woop!

fourcorners

Well, after over a year of looking for jobs and other opportunities, we have just nailed it!

OH has accepted a job in Cornwall, 8 miles from our house there. It's actually where I used to work, but they advertised OH's 'dream job' on their website and I came across it last Tuesday. He applied on Wednesday, phone interview on Thursday and job offer on Friday. They want to put him at Principal Engineer grade and will move him up to Associate Director once he's chartered. He'll be doing lots of travel to mine sites all over the world which will suit him and hopefully keep his itchy feet at bay for a bit longer than usual. They also said they would have work for me on a case by case basis during their busy periods. Which suits me fine!

He starts on March 30th and has just handed in his notice at work. So we're flying back probably around the 13th of Feb and will have 6 weeks with families and friends. We'll fly into Manchester and spend time with my Mum first, find a car, do some walking, try and acclimatise to the weather (quite possibly the worst time to move from Aussie outback summer to northern UK winter!).

Just feels like everything has just fallen into place, worth the wait! The inly sticky bit is that our tenants in Cornwall have until the 9th of April to move out (we had to give 2 rent periods notice and just missed out on getting them out by the 9th March). Hopefully we won't have any problems with them, felt bad chucking them out as they've been good tenants, but it is our house after all!

Trying to claim our flights from OHs company as we're on 457 visas, sent in passport scans and our preferred flights. Finger's crossed!

FANTASTIC! I'm so pleased for you.

I am of the opinion that Feb is the perfect time to arrive in Northern England because you spend six weeks having catching up with friends and family, eating Greggs pasties (that's possibly just me) warming your toes by the fire in country pubs, shopping at M&S and then just as the honeymoon period is wearing off it's Spring with all its loveliness. That's what I'm telling myself anyway! :-)

And a great side-effect of now having made a decision and OH handing his notice in - we have both slept better than at any point since our LO was born. We sleep more quietly, deeply and feel more refreshed in the morning (even though LO still stirs several times per night, I can get back to sleep much quicker).

It really does feel like a weight lifted. I think we're flying on Feb the 13th and arriving on Valentine's day into Manchester. OH thinks there'll be no problems with his company paying for the flights as they've just approved them for another pom on a 457 who is heading home. OH has made sure anyone on a 457 knows their rights and requests the flights. They'll learn that they'll probably spent more money repatriating us all than it would have cost to extend the 457 visas! Their loss.

Flights are booked!

We're getting $3k from OH's company towards the flights, which covers them fortunately. We're off on the 13th of Feb via Qantas/Emirates.

Got a buyer for the car too who's letting us keep it for another week or so.

Just waiting on one more shipping quote than hopefully get the packing date locked in.

All getting real now, bit apprehensive about flying with a 10 month old but we'll get through it!

Oooh that sounds ideal, thanks for the tip!

I'm sure even OH wouldn't balk too much at $25 each, he's done a fair bit of flying over the last few years and did enjoy his frequent flyer gold status whilst he had it!

So excited for you.

A tip for Dubai. You can't buy a lounge pass for business, but you can buy into the Marhgreb lounge for $25 each. Not as good as business but a heck of a lot better than the steel chairs in the termianal.

Aww Fourcorners,I am sooooo happy for you!Thats very exciting news hey?So you have approx. 3 weeks to go?Wow! Cornwall is gorgeous hon. My eldest daughter lives there (she's an aussie btw).We spend time down there,especially in summer,and its so nice for the kids to head for the beach after school for an hour,and weekends.Where abouts in Cornwall are you heading?Congrats on the job front too?Thats excellent news and as you already have your own place,it won't take long to re settle in either. So any other news hon?How's the packing going? :cute:I think Feb is a good time to arrive actually. Yes still cold but spring will soon be in the air!xx