What do you miss from the UK?

natalietrueman84

I haven't left yet so maybe I shouldn't comment but have spent time in Oz so appreciate some of the little differences....

I will miss English Cadburys Dairy Milk ( though you can get it in little English choc shops) I would've said Yorkshire tea but you can buy that in Oz now. And you can get English recipe baked beans!I'll miss English chips that stick together and have vinegar on. Decent Indian take away. Its all food based - oh dear! And its all unhealthy food so that might be good for me to miss out on! However Oz has superior Thai food I think and apparently Chinese too but I'm not a fan so I couldn't tell. I think it's pretty easy yo adapt to the ' local' products. They have most of the same or similar things and you just have to think about all the positive amazing things you've gained by moving rather than things they don't have.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't left yet so maybe I shouldn't comment but have spent time in Oz so appreciate some of the little differences....

I will miss English Cadburys Dairy Milk ( though you can get it in little English choc shops) I would've said Yorkshire tea but you can buy that in Oz now. And you can get English recipe baked beans!I'll miss English chips that stick together and have vinegar on. Decent Indian take away. Its all food based - oh dear! And its all unhealthy food so that might be good for me to miss out on! However Oz has superior Thai food I think and apparently Chinese too but I'm not a fan so I couldn't tell. I think it's pretty easy yo adapt to the ' local' products. They have most of the same or similar things and you just have to think about all the positive amazing things you've gained by moving rather than things they don't have.

Jesus.....you haven't even got here yet and already you're having a whinge.....bodes well for the future.

Edited by Sir Les Patterson

Stacey...I don't know how us poor Aussies have survived with all this non pommy food.......we certainly are a disadvantaged race.

Les don't be silly. It's completely normal to have a few things that you'll miss. If you were to move to the UK I'm sure there would be a few things you would miss that we don't have. It doesn't mean your moaning. If you want moaning then wait till I'm in Aussie summer lol you'll have blocked me! :laugh:

Les don't be silly. It's completely normal to have a few things that you'll miss. If you were to move to the UK I'm sure there would be a few things you would miss that we don't have. It doesn't mean your moaning. If you want moaning then wait till I'm in Aussie summer lol you'll have blocked me! :laugh:

You're going to Perth aren't you ?

Most likely perth to begin with but I don't think I'll be spending summer there. Probably leave November and I'll move on to Melbourne to see my family and then most likely Sydney for Christmas and new year

Ok, at least you are going to see a small part of the country......never have liked Perth much myself......too far away and too many West Australians and poms there. I reckon you will like Sydney and Melbourne.

Me neither I thought she was very nice about Australia! It's pretty normal to miss things you've grown up with....even if you're not moving back for the robinsons cordial it's OK to say you miss a Wispa or something...saying that was quite pleased in IGA today when I saw the price of a small block of Galaxy..over $5! I bought 4 blocks back. A pound each:)

I'm looking forward to seeing WA but I'm sure I'll like the rest of Australia just as much. Sydney looks beautiful and it'll be nice to finally meet my family over there. Think I've met my dad's cousin when I was little but never met his wife or children.

What will I miss (even though it's only 1 or 2 years).. Hmm can't think of anything that I probably won't be able to get over there. I'll just miss my family but i can ring and skype them

Me neither I thought she was very nice about Australia! It's pretty normal to miss things you've grown up with....even if you're not moving back for the robinsons cordial it's OK to say you miss a Wispa or something...saying that was quite pleased in IGA today when I saw the price of a small block of Galaxy..over $5! I bought 4 blocks back. A pound each:)

Did you eat your border biscuits? My mums neighbour gave us a box, we demolished them lol. Well we left the ones we didn't like.

The robinsons thing makes me laugh lol did that actually happen? I'm looking forward to trying Tim tams - are they like penguins but different flavours? Chicken salt too! I was going to buy some here but I'll leave it as a surprise

I'm looking forward to seeing WA but I'm sure I'll like the rest of Australia just as much. Sydney looks beautiful and it'll be nice to finally meet my family over there. Think I've met my dad's cousin when I was little but never met his wife or children.

What will I miss (even though it's only 1 or 2 years).. Hmm can't think of anything that I probably won't be able to get over there. I'll just miss my family but i can ring and skype them

Unfortunately Stacey......we don't have Stratford Upon Heaven over here.....hope you won't be too disappointed. :wink:

I doubt you'll miss much in a year or so...I was that excited to be here I don't think I missed a thing for ages....it was quite thrilling going round the shops...I can't get my head around people who are here 2 weeks and moaning about all sorts...have a word with yourself??? Why did they come? What did they want/expect?

I doubt you'll miss much in a year or so...I was that excited to be here I don't think I missed a thing for ages....it was quite thrilling going round the shops...I can't get my head around people who are here 2 weeks and moaning about all sorts...have a word with yourself??? Why did they come? What did they want/expect?

I don't think I will either. Hope not anyway! If I do then you have permission to slap me lol. I think the only thing I'll moan about is feeling too hot and that won't be for a while anyway. Plus I'll try keep it to a minimum :laugh: who knows.. Maybe I'll surprise myself and be fine.

Yeah people moaning after 2 weeks is a bit extreme I guess lol.

Did you eat your border biscuits? My mums neighbour gave us a box, we demolished them lol. Well we left the ones we didn't like.

The robinsons thing makes me laugh lol did that actually happen? I'm looking forward to trying Tim tams - are they like penguins but different flavours? Chicken salt too! I was going to buy some here but I'll leave it as a surprise

Got a few left! Had one just now and now you've reminded me had to get another!! Very nice! Tim Tams are OK but not my cup of tea really, didn't like Penguins either. Chicken salts nice on chips.

Got a few left! Had one just now and now you've reminded me had to get another!! Very nice! Tim Tams are OK but not my cup of tea really, didn't like Penguins either. Chicken salts nice on chips.

Yeah the ones I had were nice too. The quality must have went right up when I left lol :laugh:

I've never had a penguin since I was little.. Do they even still have them?! It's just something I've heard people mention because of the flavours so thought I'd try them and chips with chicken salt. Jeeze I'm trying to lose a stone or 2 before I go. I'll just put it all back on :laugh:

Jesus.....you haven't even got here yet and already you're having a whinge.....bodes well for the future.

Don't be so silly! My husband is an Aussie and he misses little things about home...like Boags premium! He also misses major things which is why we're going back. I thought my post was pretty positive about assimilating and enjoying all the good things there are in Aus and NOT worrying about the little things that are different. Geez it's a good job most Aussies are a little more perceptive and good humoured than our friend here!

I love Tim Tams! Esp the Tim tam slam! And I don't like Penguins! There I go being negative about Aus again....oh wait no I'm not! Gosh must think of something to whinge about or how will they know I'm a Pom?!

Yes, Les is one of my favourite posters on here but he has a low Pommie tolerance threshold sometimes and you can easily get on the wrong end of one. Definitely don't take it to heart. :wink:

Maybe he should learn to read posts properly, then he might not need to get all defensive! I'm am Aussiphile not phobe! Friend not foe!